Recommended Posts

On 12.01.2018 at 3:40 AM, AngrybobH said:

I made about 50 attempts with a 5400 dV single stage missile without the assistance of any mods. It seems the precision required for a bullseye shot from the launch pad is not possible with the stock controls except for dumb luck. Well, I know it is technically possible especially considering exactly where the target is but, I cannot do it. I may use mechjeb and try again or I may just bow out of this one.

Here's my estimate. Hitting a 5m target from the distance of 12 Mm (radius of Mun orbit) requires angular precision 5m / (12×106m) = 4.17×10-7 rad = 2.4×10-5°. The slowest angular motion you have is the daily rotation of Kerbin which has the angular speed of 360°/6hrs = 0.0167°/s. So, the desired angular precision requires timing accuracy of 2.4×10-5° / (0.0167°/s) = 0.0014s or better. In-game physics tick is 0.02s, an order of magnitude larger. So, unless you're very lucky or know secret throttling techniques to make time of travel an exact multiple of physics tick duration, it's impossible to hit target precisely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was my new year's resolution to at least attempt the KSP challenges this year! During my best attempt I forgot to hit record... This was my second best. I have Kerbal Engineer Installed, but it was not used in any meaningful way for this challenge. 

Craft File

100 - 4 + 2 = 96 total

 

6DJnKkz.jpg

N2JXSR6.jpg

PmWVJkr.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2018 at 11:42 AM, Adelaar said:

Nice challenge this. I've done this the old school way, without mods (so all manual flying and no usage of mods to intercept the target).

Craft file, please

On 1/16/2018 at 7:47 PM, Jeb, The Lonely Kerbonaut said:

What is the deadline for this challenge?

Jan 23 is the last day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2018 at 11:37 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Broad Side of the Barn

  • @Red Shirt hit the planet, but didn't show the distance, also no craft file.  Score: 12

Broad side of the barn - Woo Hoo! I'll take it. Did no better on later attempts.

Craft File

Mods: Squad/Porkjet stock parts, Mechjeb to establish 75k Ap. Transfer by free hand burn without circularizing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red Shirt said:

Broad side of the barn - Woo Hoo! I'll take it. Did no better on later attempts.

Craft File

Mods: Squad/Porkjet stock parts, Mechjeb to establish 75k Ap. Transfer by free hand burn without circularizing

I didn't see the impact image in your imgur album, were you more than 100km from the cabin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I didn't see the impact image in your imgur album, were you more than 100km from the cabin?

It was 55km but no proof shot. Thought I was doing it wrong at the time,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

It was 55km but no proof shot. Thought I was doing it wrong at the time,

Ok, I'll accept that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used the Trajectories mod, was just 290m short of the Minmus shack. Used rcs to fine tune after the main burn.

https://imgur.com/a/GZyIT

k1bMutk.png

idd0yF3.png

qqxqBWI.png

PyqkMUq.png

FlNA5ud.png

Uw04rWD.png

Craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5zf4nc76xp35o6/Impactor.craft?dl=0

Save file with the impactor on its final jorney: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2n1nywuk36o5h3/quicksave.sfs?dl=0

It is possible to hit the shack directly with a small RCS correction in Minmus' SOI using the readings from KER.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Enceos said:

Used the Trajectories mod, was just 290m short of the Minmus shack. Used rcs to fine tune after the main burn.

At what point did you use the RCS?  immediatly after the main burn?  or some time after?

Was this a single burn to the injection or was there two burns plus the rcs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

At what point did you use the RCS?  immediatly after the main burn?  or some time after?

Was this a single burn to the injection or was there two burns plus the rcs?

One burn plus RCS immediately after that. Forgot to save at that time, so my craft is a little past the munar orbit in the save file.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Enceos said:

One burn plus RCS immediately after that. Forgot to save at that time, so my craft is a little past the munar orbit in the save file.

 

Ok, since the RCS was immediate, I'll consider it to be part of the second burn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, this time I left the "Targeting Computer" on  and used RCS  to fine-tune my course immediately after finishing the burn, using the same maneuver node that I set up in my last attempt. Then I decoupled, which threw the course off that tiny bit, so I again put it back on course with RCS, so the Trajectories window showed 0.0m. As far as I'm concerned, using Trajectories this way is against the spirit of the challenge if not the actual rules (especially at Munar range), so I don't expect this to count. Even so, I missed the cabin by a mere 28.5m. I had to turn the cabin light on (more lights would have been nice) to even see it, as well as slow the video right down.

 

I might take a crack at hitting the Minmus Cabin later, but I want to work on my career save too. Decisions, decisions, priorities (of which my wife would say KSP is not a priority, but what does she know...)

Edited by StrandedonEarth
Maybe I should proofread before posting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2018 at 5:13 PM, FuzzyHead said:

Alrigh, I did it :)

Still haven't figured out how to properly link imgur now. It used to be possible to see the pics right here in the post. Cant do that anymore...

https://imgur.com/a/Oosxp

Was a little easier than I expected.

Album https://imgur.com/a/Oosxp will appear when post is submitted

click the square with the i on it and enter the album code.

alternatively, if you are mot using imgur,drag the image into the post you are writing.

On 1/10/2018 at 5:13 PM, FuzzyHead said:

Alrigh, I did it :)

Still haven't figured out how to properly link imgur now. It used to be possible to see the pics right here in the post. Cant do that anymore...

https://imgur.com/a/Oosxp

Was a little easier than I expected.

Album https://imgur.com/a/Oosxp will appear when post is submitted

click the square with the i on it and enter the album code.

alternatively, if you are mot using imgur,drag the image into the post you are writing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now