Jump to content

The Hypatia Stone


James Kerman
 Share

Recommended Posts

Research into the Hypatia stone has yielded some very interesting results including aluminium in pure metallic form.
 

Quote

In 2013, researchers announced that a pebble found in south-west Egypt, was definitely not from Earth. By 2015, other research teams had announced that the 'Hypatia' stone was not part of any known types of meteorite or comet, based on noble gas and nuclear probe analyses.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180109112437.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypatia_(stone)

 

Edited by James Kerman
More Information
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was under the impression that the meteor is part of the picture with a lot of glass lying around in the desert, with the glass being attributed to the fringes/coma and the stone from the core of a comet like object.

But i may be wrong ...

Yeah, Aluminium isn't a big deal in meteorites. It's among the most abundant elements of earth's crust.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alumina is abundant, not pure aliminium.

Maybe in space there is no oxidation, but to become a meteorite the aluminium particles should first settle on an asteroid/comet-like body and become a sedimental rock.
Together with water, carbon dioxide and other oxygen-rich substances. And spend millions years in mixed form.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's the abstract of the paper (i don't have further access):

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0016703717307962?via%3Dihub

Somewhere between cometary stuff and Fe/Ni meteorites. There is a single grain of metallic aluminium present. A little little for rattling the solar system :-)

 

Edited by Green Baron
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Green Baron said:

I was under the impression that the meteor is part of the picture with a lot of glass lying around in the desert, with the glass being attributed to the fringes/coma and the stone from the core of a comet like object.

But i may be wrong ...

What comes off wiki that ! Correlation is not necessarly causation nor necessarily not causation.

6 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Alumina is abundant, not pure aliminium.

Maybe in space there is no oxidation, but to become a meteorite the aluminium particles should first settle on an asteroid/comet-like body and become a sedimental rock.
Together with water, carbon dioxide and other oxygen-rich substances. And spend millions years in mixed form.

Aluminum is still pretty high in the list of oxidation, and maybe in some freak collision event there's enough to undo the oxidation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, YNM said:

What comes off wiki that ! Correlation is not necessarly causation nor necessarily not causation.

I do not understand what you want to tell me ?

30 minutes ago, YNM said:

Aluminum is still pretty high in the list of oxidation, and maybe in some freak collision event there's enough to undo the oxidation.

There might be simply not enough O nor Si to bind the Al.

The lack of Si is much more interesting than the single Al grain. Unfortunately there is no serious interpretation of the results yet, only "mysterious", "weird" and "strange" things that "rattle the solar system".

Since i haven't felt any rattling yet i will wait for the next analysis :-)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, YNM said:

Aluminum is still pretty high in the list of oxidation, and maybe in some freak collision event there's enough to undo the oxidation.

Maybe in a planet core, some traces of deoxidized aluminium. As it coexists with iron and nickel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Population 3 star supernova created a seed that was not part of a star system which later accumulated silicon and other minerals as it passed through a nebula created by a population 2 star supernova. As it passed through the nebula the latent heat burned of volatiles at the center leaving concentrated carbon, a space later crushed by that accumulated on top.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Green Baron said:

I do not understand what you want to tell me ?

Just because for the time being it looks "logical", you have no idea if it really is 'logical' or not.

2 hours ago, Green Baron said:

The lack of Si is much more interesting than the single Al grain. Unfortunately there is no serious interpretation of the results yet, only "mysterious", "weird" and "strange" things that "rattle the solar system".

Yeah, I guess the overall is what makes it interesting. Probably a really bad dust mite ?

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Maybe in a planet core, some traces of deoxidized aluminium. As it coexists with iron and nickel.

Maybe some of them got flung out again ? One doesn't know. It could be interstellar...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, YNM said:

Just because for the time being it looks "logical", you have no idea if it really is 'logical' or not.

Yeah, I guess the overall is what makes it interesting. Probably a really bad dust mite ?

Maybe some of them got flung out again ? One doesn't know. It could be interstellar...

They assume that SI composed a shell and that hypatia stone was surrounded by a silicon shell, so the question is how did they get a layered meteor. The answer is that the core and the shell were derived from different cosmic sources.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PB666 said:

They assume that SI composed a shell and that hypatia stone was surrounded by a silicon shell, so the question is how did they get a layered meteor. The answer is that the core and the shell were derived from different cosmic sources.

Yeah, it's just a really bad dust mite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Layered...

Hypatia is not a stone. It's a planet itself. Like Kerbin, but even smaller.
It has an iron core surrounded by a silicate mantle.
It arrived from a region of the Universe with extra-high gravitational constant where it had appeared.
We should check if there are traces of oceans and maybe even biolife,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, bigcalm said:

I don't think you need space aliens or to make stuff up to explain this pebble.

Extra terrestrial simply means it did not form on earth.  This was proved in 2013.

The two leading hypothesis (as I understand it) is that the Hypatia stone is either an interstellar traveler or part of the Oort cloud due to being older than our sun.  If the Oort cloud theory holds it means the outer solar system may be more heterogeneous than previously understood.  Maybe New Horizons might shed light on the issue when it flies by 2014 MU69 on new years day next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Layered...

Hypatia is not a stone. It's a planet itself. Like Kerbin, but even smaller.
It has an iron core surrounded by a silicate mantle.
It arrived from a region of the Universe with extra-high gravitational constant where it had appeared.
We should check if there are traces of oceans and maybe even biolife,

Sure that explains the Mercury sized crater in Egypt where it was found.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

It has an iron core surrounded by a silicate mantle.

Nope. Si is missing. But there are diamonds, high pressure/high temp. modifications of carbon.

Quote

It arrived from a region of the Universe with extra-high gravitational constant where it had appeared.

Where is that region ? How high is that constant there ? What happened exactly there ? What does that imply ?

Quote

We should check if there are traces of oceans and maybe even biolife,

Nonsense.

 

I found two articles, the one above and another one on the Wikipedia page in the references, both published by Elsevier. I won't buy access there now. Both articles' abtracts are insofar contradictory as the first one attributes the stone to a cometary nucleus and the second states that the composition is atypical for a cometary fragment. Both articles are confident that the stone and the glass particles found in the Lybian desert probably stem from the same incident.

I personally have no problem with the comet scenario (solar system origin) until further notice :-)

Edited by Green Baron
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2018 at 7:01 AM, kerbiloid said:

Layered...

Hypatia is not a stone. It's a planet itself. Like Kerbin, but even smaller.
It has an iron core surrounded by a silicate mantle.
It arrived from a region of the Universe with extra-high gravitational constant where it had appeared.
We should check if there are traces of oceans and maybe even biolife,

20 hours ago, PB666 said:

Sure that explains the Mercury sized crater in Egypt where it was found.

I'm not sure if Kerbiloid was joking, or what he was referring to. My guess is that maybe he thought the stone is a piece of a celestial body called "Hypatia" (similar to Martian Meteroites), instead of thinking that the entire celestial body hit Egypt... (

My guesses are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/238_Hypatia

- At  about150km across, its within an order of magnitude of the size of kerbin (as far as diameter). Its a large asteroid, but I don't think its internally differentiated, so I doubt it has an iron core.

or

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iota_Draconis_b

- But the exoplanet Hypatia, aka Iota Draconis B, is a "super-Jupiter", so its not smaller than Kerbin

So... yea... not sure what he's talking about

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To filter out the nebula of jokes, interpretations and speculations:

The stone is probably the fragment of a comet's core, shocked during atmospheric entry because it has high pressure/high temperature modifications of carbon. The glassy meteorites (high temperature modifications of Silicon) found in the same geographic area probably belong to the same thing but represent a different component.

 

Addition mine: we have a lot of meteorites stemming from single objects, enough for a classification. Comets otoh are more diverse in structure and composition and there are only very few remains on the surface of such incidents (Tunguska as a probably other candidate). So there really isn't much to say about it yet.

Edited by Green Baron
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...