Can't get Duna encounter

1 hour ago, peteletroll said:

RCS is very useful because it allows to move in different directions without reorienting the ship.

Except that the isp of RCS engines is not good, it is extra engine mass to carry, the tanks are relatively inefficient, it is extra fuel to carry all of which may not be used...

IMHO the single use for RCS is docking. Anything else is inefficient and unnecessary. 

Edited by Foxster

1 hour ago, Foxster said:

IMHO the single use for RCS is docking. Anything else is inefficient and unnecessary. 

All those drawback is are also a reality for RCS used for docking. But not everything is about efficiency, something we do think in a 'less than optional' way just because is easier to do it that way. Laziness in its finest. :wink:

Just now, Spricigo said:

All those drawback is are also a reality for RCS used for docking. But not everything is about efficiency, something we do think in a 'less than optional' way just because is easier to do it that way. Laziness in its finest. :wink:

Ah, fairy nuff. 

18 hours ago, hhatch said:

After all this I don't have enough fuel. I need to go back and do some redesign of the ship then try again. I will try out some of these tips and hopefully will make it to Duna and back. Thanks everyone. This is a tough game.

That sucks, but I'm glad to hear you aren't giving up. It really is a tough game to learn, but you're learning a lot just from this mission. And we've all been there. "Back to the VAB" is pretty much the KSP community motto (or SPH I guess for those crazy spaceplane guys :)). Hope all goes well.

2 hours ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

That sucks, but I'm glad to hear you aren't giving up. It really is a tough game to learn, but you're learning a lot just from this mission. And we've all been there. "Back to the VAB" is pretty much the KSP community motto (or SPH I guess for those crazy spaceplane guys :)). Hope all goes well.

I'm accustomed to games with a steep learning curve but this one may get the gold medal. I nearly gave it up several times. If I can dock and do precise landings I think I can get to Duna.

As a non math person playing this game I think it is almost unplayable without some mods. KER should be part of the stock game. If I didn't have it I would already be gone.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.