Ground Attack Aircraft/SAM Trials

Maverick Aero Defense Ltd. is proud to announce a new trial for ground attack aircraft, and surface-to-air defense vehicles. All craft and mods must be compatible with 1.3.1. Objectives as follows:

For aircraft:

Ability to penetrate the airspace of KSP. (Flags will be placed in approx. 25Km diameter from VAB to designate airspace.)

Target and destroy all 3 SAM sites.

For surface-to-air defense vehicles:

Ability to track and target up to 3 incoming aircraft.

Destroy all 3 incoming aircraft.

Rules for entering aircraft:

Must have pilot, or enough battery power for 10 minutes of idle.

No restrictions on engines/aero parts, orbital attacks are NOT allowed. (No FAR)

Any fixed BDArmory weapons are permitted. (No nukes)

Shields and armor are not permitted.

Top speed under 400m/s.

Keep parts count under 100.

Rules for entering surface-to-air vehicles:

No pilot required, but must maintain battery power for minimum 10 minutes.

If it is mobile, its speed cannot exceed 20m/s, and must stay on dry land.

If it's fixed, don't get killed.

Shields and armor are allowed, but please limit part count to 50 or less.

BDArmory weapons only. (No nukes, i.e. Diamondback/Diamondback II)

3 aircraft will be launched from the North approx. 50Km 20Km from KSP.

3 surface-to-air vehicles will be placed in 1 of 3 locations. Between VAB and SPH, Astronaut Complex and R&D, or VAB and Tracking Station.

This will be a bracket style competition, double elimination. Opponents will be randomly matched for Round 1.

The first to win their respective category will advance to the next round. Spots are limited to 8 of each type for the first competition.

Matches are limited to 10 minutes. If its a draw after the time limit, a 6V6 battle will commence with no time limit. All craft will be piloted by BDAc AI.

Videos of each match will be posted here.

The first round will be held on January 26th, 2018. All submissions must be made to this thread before midnight of the 18th to qualify for the first competition.

Good luck...

Aircraft Competitors: 2 SLOTS LEFT

@Earthlinger's Lancer-Strafe

@Joseph Kerman's A-26 Intruder

@AlexClark's A-15 Warthog II

@dundun92's F-16C

@drtricky's Toasted Corn Dorito

@dundun93's TFD

SAM Competitors:

@dundun92's Mobile AAA 30MM

@goduranus's Goalkeeper MUVA

@exbyde's AA-2 Mobile Oppression Fortress

Edited by AlexClark

A-26 Intruder, turboprop attack craft with a nice, tight turn radius, low-speed TWR that is greater than 1, and a respectable top speed of 365 mph. Comes with 30mm rotary cannon, 6 AGM, 38 rockets, and 2 thousand-pounders.

bXzLYOu.png

https://kerbalx.com/The_Kerbal_Way/A-26-Intruder

Edited by Joseph Kerman

What fun would this competition be if I didn't throw my own hat in the ring, right?

https://kerbalx.com/AlexClark/A-15-Warthog-II

41 minutes ago, Joseph Kerman said:

A-26 Intruder, turboprop attack craft with a nice, tight turn radius, low-speed TWR that is greater than 1, and a respectable top speed of 365 mph. Comes with 30mm rotary cannon, 6 AGM, 38 rockets, and 2 thousand-pounders.

bXzLYOu.png

https://kerbalx.com/The_Kerbal_Way/A-26-Intruder

I am very interested to see if this will be the only prop plane entered. Looks amazing too!

13 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

This thing should be fairly capable of chewing through most armor: https://kerbalx.com/Earthlinger/Lancer-Strafe

Prelim testing against a SAM I threw together in about 30 minutes proves you correct, for now...:D

4 hours ago, Joseph Kerman said:

Well, it was inspired by both the P-51D and the A-29...

You might want to consider adding countermeasures. It's a great plane that flies excellent, but it's very susceptible to missiles in prelim testing against above mentioned 30 minute build SAM vehicle.

Edit* This prelim testing was 1V1, for performance test of lag, recording, etc.

Edited by AlexClark

17 hours ago, AlexClark said:

Rules for entering aircraft:

Must have pilot, or enough battery power for 10 minutes of idle.

No restrictions on engines/aero parts, orbital attacks are NOT allowed. (No FAR)

Any fixed BDArmory weapons are permitted. (No nukes)

Shields and armor are not permitted.

Top speed under 400m/s.

Keep parts count under 100.

Does a ground attack aircraft really need a cap on its top speed to qualify?  I would think the more reasonable criteria would be a maximum threshold on stall speed to give it sufficient strafing time (i.e. "Must be capable of maintaining lift while traveling below 200 m/s".)  While it is true that low stall speed generally correlates with low maximum speed, that is not necessarily the case (for example variable geometry craft might alter their thrust and drag characteristics to optimize for low speed or high speed flight.)

12 minutes ago, Fearless Son said:

Does a ground attack aircraft really need a cap on its top speed to qualify?  I would think the more reasonable criteria would be a maximum threshold on stall speed to give it sufficient strafing time (i.e. "Must be capable of maintaining lift while traveling below 200 m/s".)  While it is true that low stall speed generally correlates with low maximum speed, that is not necessarily the case (for example variable geometry craft might alter their thrust and drag characteristics to optimize for low speed or high speed flight.)

The top speed limit is mainly for preventing someone from using a ridiculously fast aircraft to outrun missiles. Consider the advantage an aircraft has over a fixed SAM site (or moveable, but at only 20m/s), we had to give the SAM's a chance to lock/see their targets. But you do raise a good point. I'll trial a few of mine over 400/ms, and see if it gives the aircraft an unfair advantage.

Edited by AlexClark

5 minutes ago, AlexClark said:

Lancer Strafe VS the in house stoopid SAM site.

The jammers on the Lancers are quite effective, apparently. You should outfit the turrets with heat-seekers. They're a little more effective at countering low-flying planes :)

Edited by Earthlinger

6 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

The jammers on the Lancers are quite effective, apparently. You should outfit the turrets with heat-seekers. They're a little more effective at countering low-flying planes :)

They have 4 AIM-9's, but for some reason revert to the 120's first. Range maybe? And full disclosure, these stoopid SAM's are using some SM Armory radars, and a Solid State AA. Obviously to no effect...

And the next video won't have as much lag. Quickbooks, Firefox, and Virtual Machine are running right now for "work".

Edited by AlexClark

2 minutes ago, AlexClark said:

They have 4 AIM-9's, but for some reason revert to the 120's first. Range maybe?

I think the Jernas prioritizes the 120's. I doubt it's a default. I don't usually mix missiles on a single turret though, so I wouldn't know. Also, mixing military mods might result in some coordination issues, especially with radar....

1 minute ago, Earthlinger said:

I think the Jernas prioritizes the 120's. I doubt it's a default. I don't usually mix missiles on a single turret though, so I wouldn't know. Also, mixing military mods might result in some coordination issues, especially with radar....

I've used BDA and SMA on a few AA naval cruisers I built a while ago, and had great success. I'll modify Mr. Stoopid to only having AIM-9's on the Jernas and see if that changes the outcome.

5 minutes ago, AlexClark said:

I've used BDA and SMA on a few AA naval cruisers I built a while ago, and had great success. I'll modify Mr. Stoopid to only having AIM-9's on the Jernas and see if that changes the outcome.

If you stick radar guided missiles on a radar tracking turret the turret will use the radar guided missiles over anything else

14 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

mixing military mods might result in some coordination issues, especially with radar....

That would depend on the mod ... Any of @SpannerMonkey(smce)'s mods should work fine right out of the box (he is a member of the BDAc team after all) and DCK works with BDAc as well (YCSM modules for instance ... DCK Cloak coming soon)

As for other BDAc add ons, that is where you may run into issues ... But the SMI mods should give you little to no trouble at all

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.