Ground Attack Aircraft/SAM Trials

4 hours ago, dundun92 said:

Here is my SAM (well actually, AAA site) entry:

Ignore the FAR. I simply had FAR on that ksp install, but it is an AAA site.

https://kerbalx.com/dundun92/Mobile-AAA-30mm

IxQcPxI.jpg

Still has FAR on the mod list. Any chance you could upload without it? I still haven't updated all my mods after the switch to 1.3.1.

1 hour ago, exbyde said:

@Thor Wotansen bear?

Also thought, launch from abandoned airbase and have a SAM patrol boat?

Thought about that, but then I'd be encroaching on @Earthlinger's naval battle competition. And getting the AI to fly to KSP from the island strip requires using Wing Command and the Fly To function to get the aircraft in range to target SAM's. Gives the SAM's a little edge.

Dig the idea of @Thor Wotansen's Bear though. Would probably be hard to beat.

1 hour ago, goduranus said:

Since alot of the good air-to-ground weapons in BDA are GPS guided, try making the SAMs mobile to let it evade most of the attacks, also add some smoke grenades cuz I think that one blocks laser guidance.

I encourage mobile SAM designs! I'd like to see how well one would perform.

Edited by AlexClark

41 minutes ago, AlexClark said:

Still has FAR on the mod list. Any chance you could upload without it? I still haven't updated all my mods after the switch to 1.3.1.

Thought about that, but then I'd be encroaching on @Earthlinger's naval battle competition. And getting the AI to fly to KSP from the island strip requires using Wing Command and the Fly To function to get the aircraft in range to target SAM's. Gives the SAM's a little edge.

Dig the idea of @Thor Wotansen's Bear though. Would probably be hard to beat.

I encourage mobile SAM designs! I'd like to see how well one would perform.

It will load without FAR (mainly because FAR doesn't add parts). Ive done it before for other competitions.

15 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

It will load without FAR (mainly because FAR doesn't add parts). Ive done it before for other competitions.

Got it. It's mostly the other mods I have to update first. I trimmed the mods from 42 to 12 when I went to 1.3.1 and haven't gotten around to adding some back in.

Do you move SAM vehicles with vessel mover? I have a nearly-indestructible SAM vehicle that would function much better without wheels.

This is not because it can't be supported by wheels, but because its so massive that brakes from stock landing gear don't work very well, and it tends to move as it takes hits. You may also want to take note that this SAM platform of mine received direct hits from ten missiles, and at least 2500 20mm rounds without exploding.

Edited by drtricky

1 hour ago, drtricky said:

Do you move SAM vehicles with vessel mover? I have a nearly-indestructible SAM vehicle that would function much better without wheels.

This is not because it can't be supported by wheels, but because its so massive that brakes from stock landing gear don't work very well, and it tends to move as it takes hits. You may also want to take note that this SAM platform of mine received direct hits from ten missiles, and at least 2500 20mm rounds without exploding.

Yes. Vessel Mover is used to place both types of craft.

1 hour ago, dundun93 said:

I'll grab it first thing tomorrow AM.

I got an AA vehicle as well. Not fully optimized yet but is probably sufficient for defeating currently submitted airplanes.

Need to set throttle to max and give it a press of a space bar to activate, else it'd be a sitting duck.

https://kerbalx.com/goduranus/Goalkeeper-MUVA

Note that spacebar also turn on the Guard mode, so if you don't want that, maybe manually turn guard off from the menu, or remove Guard mode from the Spacebar action group.

x7OPYRU.jpg

Edited by goduranus

3 hours ago, goduranus said:

I got an AA vehicle as well. Not fully optimized yet but is probably sufficient for defeating currently submitted airplanes.

Need to set throttle to max and give it a press of a space bar to activate, else it'd be a sitting duck.

https://kerbalx.com/goduranus/Goalkeeper-MUVA

Note that spacebar also turn on the Guard mode, so if you don't want that, maybe manually turn guard off from the menu, or remove Guard mode from the Spacebar action group.

x7OPYRU.jpg

Well, your triple-A vehicle was good... but not good enough. See, by dumb luck, my A-26 Intruder finished off 2 of them alone in a 1v3.

https://imgur.com/a/q1FiL

Edited by Joseph Kerman

H9WfL4w.gif

Vessel Mover is v1.6.2.

Modded aero, engines, and other parts are ok, as long as I don't have to download 10 new mods to make it work. I've got the boats mod and SM Marine, so it should be fine.

Edited by AlexClark

39 minutes ago, AlexClark said:

*meme*

Modded aero, engines, and other parts are ok, as long as I don't have to download 10 new mods to make it work. I've got the boats mod and SM Marine, so it should be fine.

The battleship hulls from LBP previously had ridiculous max temps, so much so that it takes several thousand 30 mm rounds to destroy one hull piece. But apparently those values have been "patched out" according to the current person running the mod. In order to allow them to have ridiculous durability, you have to delete a few config files and re-run the game to "patch in" the new temp values.

Are you willing to follow the instructions they provided me in order to get my AA platform working properly? Another solution is to use an older version of LBP, which I can provide (It still works in 1.3.1).

8 minutes ago, exbyde said:

Alright, here's an entry for butt ugliest AA system/ cheese machine. Have fun

https://kerbalx.com/ExByDe/AA-2-Mobile-Oppression-Fortress

Two goalkeepers, twenty-two aim-120s on vertical rotary launchers.

There goes the advantage of the A-26... wait...

DId I not mention it has superior handling, just dampened by AI?

7 minutes ago, Joseph Kerman said:

There goes the advantage of the A-26... wait...

DId I not mention it has superior handling, just dampened by AI?

i'm sure any aircraft has superior handling to the MOP, its a wheeled vehicle.

37 minutes ago, drtricky said:

The battleship hulls from LBP previously had ridiculous max temps, so much so that it takes several thousand 30 mm rounds to destroy one hull piece. But apparently those values have been "patched out" according to the current person running the mod. In order to allow them to have ridiculous durability, you have to delete a few config files and re-run the game to "patch in" the new temp values.

Are you willing to follow the instructions they provided me in order to get my AA platform working properly? Another solution is to use an older version of LBP, which I can provide (It still works in 1.3.1).

If it has ridiculous max temps, I'm going to have to say no. Several thousand 30mm rounds is a excrementse ton of firepower. The armor in BDA is doing very good so far in prelims.

26 minutes ago, exbyde said:

Alright, here's an entry for butt ugliest AA system/ cheese machine. Have fun

https://kerbalx.com/ExByDe/AA-2-Mobile-Oppression-Fortress

Two goalkeepers, twenty-two aim-120s on vertical rotary launchers.

Right at 50 parts too lol!

Edited by AlexClark

5 minutes ago, AlexClark said:

If it has ridiculous max temps, I'm going to have to say no. Several thousand 30mm rounds is a excrementse ton of firepower. The armor in BDA is doing very good so far in prelims.

Right at 50 parts too lol!

Question, would it be legal for a stationary weapons system to split into two or three parts for independent target tracking? would like to pop the CIWS off as its own craft with a weapons manager, BDA doesn't prioritize close-range targets.

Edited by exbyde

9 minutes ago, exbyde said:

Question, would it be legal for a stationary weapons system to split into two or three parts for independent target tracking? would like to pop the CIWS off as its own craft with a weapons manager, BDA doesn't prioritize close-range targets.

So it would be splitting 3 into 6, correct?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.