Any modders need any modelling done?

Tokamak

I'd like to dip my toe back into Kerbal modding, and get more modelling practice. The thing is, I really enjoy 3d modelling, but dealing with unity and part balancing and whatnot is a lot less fun. So I thought I'd offer my services as a modeler. I know that can be time-intensive. I notice a lot of mods just recycle stock parts for that reason.

In short: If any mod developers need models made or worked on, I'd love to help. Ideally I'm looking for mods already in development, as opposed to "I have an idea could you make it plz". Though if established serious modders like @linuxgurugamer, @Angel-125, @CobaltWolf et cetera wanted something speculative, I'd also jump at it.

The work I posted here a year or two ago was my very first 3d work. Please don't judge me by that! D: For a better idea of where I am now, my blendswap profile probably gives you a better idea. Those are meant for rendering as opposed to being game-ready, but I've also been learning a fair amount about making game assets as well.

@Tokamak - I could use a simple model for DCK if you're down to make it

I need a model for the You Can't See Me modules (only need one for both parts .. they will use the same model) .. The YCSM is a part you place onto your craft that reduces your RCS (Radar Cross Section) when used with BDAc ... currently the Gravimeter is the placeholder model and I want to change it to something more suitable

I also have Outlaw Racing Inc that could use a dashboard with some lights that can be turned on and off ... more than 1 light each with their own anim so I can turn each one on in code depending on what part of the dashboard is running (the dashboard is the racing controller ... kind of precursor to racing AI)

Let me know if you're down to lend a hand ... Credit goes where it is due in any of my mods :)

4 minutes ago, Tokamak said:

@DoctorDavinci What are you currently using as a model, and do you have any specific ideas of what you wanted, or are you looking for "make a nifty widget"? :)

Currently the YCSM modules use the Gravimeter stock model ... as for what the model should look like, make a nifty widget :wink: ... A small surface mounted part with curves that will sit flush against the fuselage and cause no drag (I can do this is the config or you can do it in the model, doesn't matter which) ... Just something better that the Gravimeter model that looks 'right' ... Go to town, let's see what you can come up with :)

As for the Outlaw Racing Dashboard, I am using one of the transparent armor panel models from DCK Aircraft Armor resized in the part config ... this is something I need to fully flesh out before putting it to Blender or Max (different controls being on should have differest 'lights' on the dashboard ... Plus I haven't quite figured out how I want it to look) ... ORI Development is kinda on hold at the moment, the BDAc beta and DCK are my main focus for the time being

3 hours ago, Tokamak said:

I'd like to dip my toe back into Kerbal modding, and get more modelling practice. The thing is, I really enjoy 3d modelling, but dealing with unity and part balancing and whatnot is a lot less fun. So I thought I'd offer my services as a modeler. I know that can be time-intensive. I notice a lot of mods just recycle stock parts for that reason.

In short: If any mod developers need models made or worked on, I'd love to help. Ideally I'm looking for mods already in development, as opposed to "I have an idea could you make it plz". Though if established serious modders like @linuxgurugamer, @Angel-125, @CobaltWolf et cetera wanted something speculative, I'd also jump at it.

The work I posted here a year or two ago was my very first 3d work. Please don't judge me by that! D: For a better idea of where I am now, my blendswap profile probably gives you a better idea. Those are meant for rendering as opposed to being game-ready, but I've also been learning a fair amount about making game assets as well.

Modeling or texture work? I think an awful lot of people would love it if you did a PR on @RoverDude 's USI parts to add specular and normal maps to them.

On 1/11/2018 at 2:17 PM, Electrocutor said:

Modeling or texture work? I think an awful lot of people would love it if you did a PR on @RoverDude 's USI parts to add specular and normal maps to them.

"PR" meaning "PhotoRealistic?" Texturing is something I'm still working on.

I'm not responding to everyone individually just now, because I don't want to make promises I can't keep, but I will keep referring back to this thread.

Oh, one key thing to add is that, while not absolutely required, it would make it a lot easier for me to do modelling if I don't also have to get the parts imported to unity and KSP, though I can dig back into how to do that if needed.

1 hour ago, Tokamak said:

"PR" meaning "PhotoRealistic?" Texturing is something I'm still working on.

I'm not responding to everyone individually just now, because I don't want to make promises I can't keep, but I will keep referring back to this thread.

Oh, one key thing to add is that, while not absolutely required, it would make it a lot easier for me to do modelling if I don't also have to get the parts imported to unity and KSP, though I can dig back into how to do that if needed.

PR is a Pull Request.

That I can do  :)

On 1/11/2018 at 12:27 PM, DoctorDavinci said:

Currently the YCSM modules use the Gravimeter stock model ... as for what the model should look like, make a nifty widget :wink: ... A small surface mounted part with curves that will sit flush against the fuselage and cause no drag (I can do this is the config or you can do it in the model, doesn't matter which) ... Just something better that the Gravimeter model that looks 'right' ... Go to town, let's see what you can come up with :)

As for the Outlaw Racing Dashboard, I am using one of the transparent armor panel models from DCK Aircraft Armor resized in the part config ... this is something I need to fully flesh out before putting it to Blender or Max (different controls being on should have differest 'lights' on the dashboard ... Plus I haven't quite figured out how I want it to look) ... ORI Development is kinda on hold at the moment, the BDAc beta and DCK are my main focus for the time being

I'm just doodling in high-poly without textures (yet). Obviously for a final part I'd bake normals and AO onto a low-poly game-ready asset, but I just want to see how things look first. The idea that came to mind was a flux-capacitorish thing in a streamlined casing. Thoughts? I'm not invested in this design, I am just playing

Edit: I'm having a heck of a time getting an image to embed. :I

ZuhMjhy.jpg

Edited by Tokamak

35 minutes ago, Tokamak said:

I'm just doodling in high-poly without textures (yet). Obviously for a final part I'd bake normals and AO onto a low-poly game-ready asset, but I just want to see how things look first. The idea that came to mind was a flux-capacitorish thing in a streamlined casing. Thoughts? I'm not invested in this design, I am just playing

Edit: I'm having a heck of a time getting an image to embed. :I

ZuhMjhy.jpg

So I love it ... Although I would prefer to use it for the DCK Active Camouflage system (essentially the Cloaking Device mod) which will be in the next DCK release (the next DCK will be released after the BDAc v1.1 beta goes full release)

I definitely like the tangent you are going on :)

25 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

So I love it ... Although I would prefer to use it for the DCK Active Camouflage system (essentially the Cloaking Device mod) which will be in the next DCK release (the next DCK will be released after the BDAc v1.1 beta goes full release)

I definitely like the tangent you are going on :)

Gotcha. So I'll at least finish this widget, then. Did you have any particular thoughts on the other one? Or any "maybe something similar to this" references?

Sketchfab

Obviously texture work is still needed, as well as possibly a bit more detail on the normal mapping. Perhaps some bolts/seams? I'm not sure how low poly I can have it be and still have it look interesting. My vertex count is 731 for this model. That's more than the KSP wiki recommends, but I don't know how much to trust its modding advice.

Does anyone remember if you need to swizzle your normal map from Blender to work in Unity?

2 hours ago, Tokamak said:

Sketchfab

Obviously texture work is still needed, as well as possibly a bit more detail on the normal mapping. Perhaps some bolts/seams? I'm not sure how low poly I can have it be and still have it look interesting. My vertex count is 731 for this model. That's more than the KSP wiki recommends, but I don't know how much to trust its modding advice.

Does anyone remember if you need to swizzle your normal map from Blender to work in Unity?

@SpannerMonkey(smce) - would you mind giving this lad the lowdown? :)

4 hours ago, Tokamak said:

Gotcha. So I'll at least finish this widget, then. Did you have any particular thoughts on the other one? Or any "maybe something similar to this" references?

Well for the YCSM modules something simple like a blister that you place on the craft ... nothing fancy, just a part that will meld with the majority of parts

think of the average aircraft and add a symmetrical oval ... 2 to 1 ratio on the with and length then have it raised up from the bottom plane about 15 to 20 % of the width of the part (I guess a 2 to 1 to 0.15 ratio if you get what I mean)

nothing complicated like the flux capacitor you made ... I can work with you on the texturing and there are many others from round these parts that will be happy to lend a hand :)

42 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

@SpannerMonkey(smce) - would you mind giving this lad the lowdown? :)

Well for the YCSM modules something simple like a blister that you place on the craft ... nothing fancy, just a part that will meld with the majority of parts

think of the average aircraft and add a symmetrical oval ... 2 to 1 ratio on the with and length then have it raised up from the bottom plane about 15 to 20 % of the width of the part (I guess a 2 to 1 to 0.15 ratio if you get what I mean)

nothing complicated like the flux capacitor you made ... I can work with you on the texturing and there are many others from round these parts that will be happy to lend a hand :)

Hmm, okay. This isn't entirely as you described, but it is another thing I doodled just now, as a point of reference.

2 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I like it ... that would do nicely for the YCSM modules

Awesomesauce :)

Yay! I'll see what I can do about texturing. I assume you wanted them about the same size as the small surface mount science parts?

2 hours ago, Mr. Sandman said:

Anyway , I would appreciate a model that looks somewhat like a  real Fairing base (See Tesla Rodster payload as a quite nice reference).I was trying to do some based on KW Rocketry ones and got stuck on UV mapping (can't cut in triangular vertices well , I'm going mad!)

You mean this? payload_tesla-roadster-770x287.png

Yay! I'll see what I can do about texturing. I assume you wanted them about the same size as the small surface mount science parts?

You mean this? payload_tesla-roadster-770x287.png

Yes , a Fairing base that looks more or less like that.Not SpaceX related forcefully , just a  generic (realistic) fairing base

Edited by Mr. Sandman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.