Any modders need any modelling done?

Tokamak

22 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

@SpannerMonkey(smce) - would you mind giving this lad the lowdown? :)

Bit late tp the convo, but , regarding polys and KSP,   use what you need, no need to go mad but no need to be mean either. Meshes are cheap in KSP it's the textures and rendering that costs.

There are limits to what unity will import poly count wise , without issue , it's a lot though.  The real tripping point for many is the collision mesh,  non of the collision mesh objects can have more than 255 polys, but you can have multiple 255's .

My large ship objects have fairly low polycounts, but quite often  the smaller objects take a whole lot more,  and  anywhere from just enough to around  15/20K  polys is generally about my comfort zone.

So unless it's an ultra high poly count, ie so big it wont import to unity,  i wouldnt worry, as the collision mesh for your objects doesnt need to be complex.

6 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Bit late tp the convo, but , regarding polys and KSP,   use what you need, no need to go mad but no need to be mean either. Meshes are cheap in KSP it's the textures and rendering that costs.

There are limits to what unity will import poly count wise , without issue , it's a lot though.  The real tripping point for many is the collision mesh,  non of the collision mesh objects can have more than 255 polys, but you can have multiple 255's .

My large ship objects have fairly low polycounts, but quite often  the smaller objects take a whole lot more,  and  anywhere from just enough to around  15/20K  polys is generally about my comfort zone.

So unless it's an ultra high poly count, ie so big it wont import to unity,  i wouldnt worry, as the collision mesh for your objects doesnt need to be complex.

Thank you sir :)

@Tokamak - Hope this helps :wink:

@DoctorDavinci 

Here is the model with my best attempt at texturing. There is a spot under the tube projecting from the YCSM might need me to clean it up yet, but I'm also not sure if it would be better to just remove that bit entirely. Like I said, I can't at present be arsed to do the last mile of getting a part into unity and KSP unless it's really needed. Is this enough for you to work on?

The textures are 2k, but can obviously be downsized. Both parts share one UV/texture.

Also, the colours can be easily changed in the included PSD file of the diffuse texture

Edited by Tokamak

7 minutes ago, Tokamak said:

@DoctorDavinci 

Here is the model with my best attempt at texturing. There is a spot under the tube projecting from the YCSM might need me to clean it up yet, but I'm also not sure if it would be better to just remove that bit entirely. Like I said, I can't at present be arsed to do the last mile of getting a part into unity and KSP unless it's really needed. Is this enough for you to work on?

Also, the colours can be easily changed in the included PSD file of the diffuse texture

These are awesome ... Fantastic, thanx :)

I'm sure I will be able to import them into unity, I have one of the best teachers around to show me how and I kinda already have an idea as to how to go about it

As for the part touch up I say just leave it, these models look awesome just the way they are ... Only thing I may do is change the color scheme to orange lettering on a black base for the stock texture and then do up the additional 42 textures for DCK

Have I mentioned that I think these are awesome ... Thanx again :D

9 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

These are awesome ... Fantastic, thanx :)

I'm sure I will be able to import them into unity, I have one of the best teachers around to show me how and I kinda already have an idea as to how to go about it

As for the part touch up I say just leave it, these models look awesome just the way they are ... Only thing I may do is change the color scheme to orange lettering on a black base for the stock texture and then do up the additional 42 textures for DCK

Have I mentioned that I think these are awesome ... Thanx again :D

You're welcome! Let me know if you need any tweaks. And let me know when/if you release them, so I can feel smug about getting my name in the credits :)

11 hours ago, Mr. Sandman said:

Yes , a Fairing base that looks more or less like that.Not SpaceX related forcefully , just a  generic (realistic) fairing base

The only really good references for faring bases that I could find that didn't look like existing KSP mod parts were of that SpaceX PAF. 

Super rough, but any thoughts? (there are meant to be clamps on the hoses but they didn't transfer to sketchfab and I don't want to reupload now)

5 hours ago, Tokamak said:

The only really good references for faring bases that I could find that didn't look like existing KSP mod parts were of that SpaceX PAF. 

Super rough, but any thoughts? (there are meant to be clamps on the hoses but they didn't transfer to sketchfab and I don't want to reupload now)

That's simply amazing.Are you sure you can't do any tutorials for KSP?All of the existing ones are outdated on dead threads.

6 hours ago, Mr. Sandman said:

That's simply amazing.Are you sure you can't do any tutorials for KSP?All of the existing ones are outdated on dead threads.

Thanks! I'll keep working on it then.

As far as tutorials... the thing is that the KSP end of things is where I'm fuzzy myself. I did make some parts a while ago, but I've forgotten the procedure for getting them to work in KSP, and would have to look it up again myself. I'm just a mildly obsessive 3d modeller :)

1 hour ago, Tokamak said:

Thanks! I'll keep working on it then.

As far as tutorials... the thing is that the KSP end of things is where I'm fuzzy myself. I did make some parts a while ago, but I've forgotten the procedure for getting them to work in KSP, and would have to look it up again myself. I'm just a mildly obsessive 3d modeller :)

Well bless you , at least you can model.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:54 PM, Tokamak said:

I'd like to dip my toe back into Kerbal modding, and get more modelling practice. The thing is, I really enjoy 3d modelling, but dealing with unity and part balancing and whatnot is a lot less fun. So I thought I'd offer my services as a modeler. I know that can be time-intensive. I notice a lot of mods just recycle stock parts for that reason.

I think mods that recycle stock parts are because the Modder doesn't know how to use 3D programs or unity.

Unity is a massive pain. I avoid doing part sometimes just to avoid jumping through the hoops that is it's login and all the stupid steps required. I'm not trying to steal your damn program, I'm just exporting KSP meshes.

If I could go straight from Blender to KSP formats I'd be so much happier.

8 minutes ago, SpaceMouse said:

I think mods that recycle stock parts are because the Modder doesn't know how to use 3D programs or unity.

Unity is a massive pain. I avoid doing part sometimes just to avoid jumping through the hoops that is it's login and all the stupid steps required. I'm not trying to steal your damn program, I'm just exporting KSP meshes.

If I could go straight from Blender to KSP formats I'd be so much happier.

To be fair, 3d modelling is fairly involved to learn. But yeah, I'm not a fan of Unity either. The application I mean, not the engine.

4 minutes ago, Tokamak said:

To be fair, 3d modelling is fairly involved to learn. But yeah, I'm not a fan of Unity either. The application I mean, not the engine.

Blender is absolutely complex to learn but, at least it's properly open-source and doesn't make you jump through hoops to satiate corporate paranoia.

On 1/18/2018 at 10:30 PM, Tokamak said:

You're welcome! Let me know if you need any tweaks. And let me know when/if you release them, so I can feel smug about getting my name in the credits :)

Here is a taste of what your parts have become ... Will be in the next DCK update along with Active Camouflage (goes great with DCK Shields)

May still change the color of the ring on the ACS module but they look pretty shnazzy to me :wink:

7z0S2Lx.png

27 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Here is a taste of what your parts have become ... Will be in the next DCK update along with Active Camouflage (goes great with DCK Shields)

May still change the color of the ring on the ACS module but they look pretty shnazzy to me :wink:

7z0S2Lx.png

Hooray!

@Tokamak, your work is impressive!

If you're still looking for parts to model, my ESLD Beacons mod could really use refreshing. It's exactly like what you described in your first post - a released mod with heavily reused models and slight texture changes to tell the parts from each other. I'd like to keep the style and feel of the beacons but they could use better models and textures. The techboxes you could really go to town with and give them different styles based on what they do. I'm actually working on a new functionality for the mod but am held back by the fact that I'd have to create an all-new model. If you're interested, I can describe what the new part would do and you can have full creative license to make something that looks like it should do what it does, but, more importantly, looks cool. :cool:

I'm looking to create a new mod, but I'm absolutely abysmal at modelling. It'd focus on near-future fighter jet/military aircraft parts and weapons, and it's a mod concept I've toyed with for a while. If you're still looking for projects, I'd love your help!

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@Tokamak

I need a couple of parts for the Engine Ignitor mod, if you can.

Use your imagination, these parts are meant to be attachable external ignitors, which will most likely drop off after ignition.

I'll see if I can come  up with something small and greebly. I imagine there isn't really any real-world equivalent of that.

5 hours ago, Tokamak said:

I'll see if I can come  up with something small and greebly. I imagine there isn't really any real-world equivalent of that.

Not as far as I know.  Ignitors usually use some sort of hypergolic fluid for liquic engines, I’m not sure what is used for solids.  But solids are ignored n this mod since it is assumed that the ignitor is built into it.

Thanks.  No rush

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not as far as I know.  Ignitors usually use some sort of hypergolic fluid for liquic engines, I’m not sure what is used for solids.  But solids are ignored n this mod since it is assumed that the ignitor is built into it.

Thanks.  No rush

Any thoughts on this direction? It'd be too high poly for game use as it is, but obviously I'd bake normals onto a simpler mesh.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.