ISRO Discussion Thread

Weird, isn't it? It's all solids and hypergolics. PSLV uses nitrogen on its first stage, but only for pressurisation of an additional component, which is allowing for thrust regulation of solid fuel stage. It might be cryogenically stored to improve capacity of its tanks. But is there enough of it to bring the surface of the rocket below freezing point?

22 hours ago, Scotius said:

Very fast launch. Good TWR :) Though i have to admit - those pieces of ice falling from the sides made me jump, before i realised what is happening. Weird, though - i watched launches from Florida and Kourou - both warm and humid environments. But i never seen so much ice falling off.

It's insulation designed to break off at launch

• 1 month later...

"The first operational mission of GSLVMkIII will be Chandrayaan-2"

But this rocket has already lifted 2 satellites to their orbits, right? Were they not operational missions? What does 'operational' even mean in this context??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RedKraken said:

GSAT-7A mission success.

And the archived livestream if you missed it (like I did by 3 hrs, dammit !)

(actual launch at ~29 mins into the video)

On 12/18/2018 at 7:47 PM, Parv Kerman said:

do you understand any of it?

At least now I get your profile picture.

Edited by YNM

I found this, not really news but still:

p5cr07d9duo01.jpg

ISRO's SSLV has the lowest cost/Kg to SSO orbit, almost by a factor of 3. Why is ISRO doing this? Is it 'newbie crushing' all the new small satellite launch companies? 

This is not fair.... I dunno, I like their work..but if I were working in RocketLab, after years of research we finally build a decent small rocket to take up the niche other launch vendors have missed. And lo! ISRO joins the party with a cheaper small launcher... :(.. I would be soooo upset!

I like ISRO, but this is so unfair. :( ISRO is not in the wrong, but should SSLV monopolize this market, I am going to feel for those other companies...

Edited by Nivee~

While I can certainly understand the sentiment, you can't say to someone "Yes, you can do this better, cheaper, faster than everyone else, but for the sake of fairness, don't do it". If you did, we as a species would have never even developed agriculture. If this rocket flies at that price, it is bad for Rocket Labs, but that's the nature of aerospace, unfortunately. 

Edited by MinimumSky5
Bizzare autocorrects?

1 hour ago, MinimumSky5 said:

While I can certainly understand the sentiment, you can't say to someone "Yes, you can do this better, cheaper, faster than everyone else, but gg or the sake of fairness, don't do it". If you did, we as a species would have never even developed agriculture. If this rocket flies at that price, it is bad for Rocket Labs, but that's the nature of aerospace, unfortunately. 

Yeah, i know..ISRO isn't doing anything wrong, morally,legally or ethically... Its just that so many new small rockets were in development. And if SSLV monopolizes the market (which it will, obviously) then except 2-3 companies, everyone else will close shop..

No one's wrong in this situation... It just feels wrong.. :( Then again, reality doesn't care about emotions...

1 minute ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I wonder if they will manage that. It seems like that would require SRB's or reusability. If Electron develops reusability, they may be able to match or beat that.

Nah, ISRO will manage it (maybe with government subsidies, if they are really out to destroy any competition by private sector).. I found some more stuff, it has about 500 kg of payload, and its all-solid.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=44287.0;

IMWvJnN.jpg