Which PC games have the most stunning graphics?

kalorfafy

Rise of the Tomb Raider come to mind, with the caveat that it has serious aliasing issues that will require a beefy graphics card to overcome (the solution is SSAA and/or 4k resolution in an already demanding game). Tomb Raider has that hair simulation which is a nice touch, and it does a lot of nice work with lighting.

Far Cry 3 and 4. Excellent foliage in particular, and explosions.

Skyrim, not for the graphics, but the landscape design. With the right mods to bring the look closer to the level of the world design, there are some truly breathtaking places of beauty in that game (I'm a sucker for waterfalls).

And GTA V.

Space Engine is the only game with photorealistic graphics.  Its free, and simulates billions of light ears of realistic, procedural space.  

VUBTyjk.jpg

pbZoyGy.jpg

HaEjaMr.jpg

These aren't cutscenes: this is how it normally looks when you play.  

n-body physics, too

On 1/15/2018 at 8:52 AM, Bill Phil said:

We all know that Spacewar has the best graphics of all time.

Out of likes, so you get a quote.

Seriously, though, for being one of the first video games ever made (and probably the first that wasn't chess or tic tac toe or something) it's graphics are amazing. The whole "trails" thing in different colors, and the rotating star background... And even the explosions!

Someone already mentioned Hellblade: Sensua's Sacrifice, this should also win awards for audio design.

Skyrim with all the high-res updates and possibly some mods is pretty stunning.

DCS (Digital Combat Simulator) has the best looking single objects (the flyable planes, natch, including the VR-ready 6DoF cockpits) I have ever seen, and the rest is pretty sharp.

I love the graphic style of Endless Legend

But honestly todays games  are of a pretty high calibre (excepting those designed with retro graphics deliberately), it seems the limiting factor is no longer processing power or software features but the amount of effort they put into designing objects and drawing the textures.

NB: Recently got "Prey" and whilst its pretty nice looking (and a well made game) the graphics are functional and nice but surprisingly unimpressive, about the same as Bioshock. Which is fine, but we're no longer seeing huge gains year-on-year in graphical complexity.

On a more leftfield note, I humbly submit my suggestion for honourable mention, Command: modern Air/Naval Operations:

cmanorevtitle2.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.