[1.12.x] Toolbar Controller (for modders)

linuxgurugamer

23 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 0.1.7

• Added dependency unBlur
  • Added dependency checks for unblur, clickthroughblocker    
  • Replaced code which needless read the disk often with the unBlur clode to both fix blurring and needless reading of the disk
  • Moved Textures directory out of the PluginData

Hi lgg, thank you for this new release!

Is there any reason for its 'Max  KSP version' field in CKAN reading 1.7.1 rather than the latest 1.7.2?

Hey linux, just updated clickthrough, toolbar, and fshangerextender. For some reason, the fshanger button does not show up. Are there any conflicts going on or am I missing something?

Edit: I am using 1.6.1 Toolbar because I cannot run on version 1.7.1 of ksp on my modded install. For some reason a part in the base game never loads as a result. I cannot tell if Toolbar for 1.7.1 would work and previous versions of all mods in 1.6 still work fine.

Edited by MadmanMorton
Extra info

4 minutes ago, MadmanMorton said:

Hey linux, just updated clickthrough, toolbar, and fshangerextender. For some reason, the fshanger button does not show up. Are there any conflicts going on or am I missing something?

The toolbar now requires the UnBlur mod.  Both the OP and CKAN have been updated with that information 

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 4 weeks later...

BETA RELEASE

• Updated to add large icon to the toolbar.BigTexturePath (new in toolbar 1.7.20)
  • Added InstallChecker
  • Updated AssemblyVersion.tt
  • Changed the message about:  WARNING: RegisterMod to only show when debugmode is true
  • Removed the unBlur mod as a hard dependency.  It will use UnBlur if it's there, otherwise will fall back to reading the file
  • Removed dependency check for unBlur

This is a simultaneous release with the Blizzy Toolbar, please be sure to install it as well.  It has some additional new functionality

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/ToolbarControl/releases/tag/0.1.8

New release, 0.1.8.1

• Updated to add large icon to the toolbar.BigTexturePath (new in toolbar 1.7.20)
  • Added InstallChecker
  • Updated AssemblyVersion.tt
  • Changed the message about:  WARNING: RegisterMod to only show when debugmode is true
  • Removed the unBlur mod as a hard dependency.  It will use UnBlur if it's there, otherwise will fall back to reading the file
  • Removed dependency check for unBlur

Be sure to install the updated Blizzy Toolbar as well

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Be sure to install the updated Blizzy Toolbar as well

I don't understand this statement. When I look in CKAN there is no separate toolbar from blizzy. This one has both your names as author.

You probably know this already, but I know I was a bit confused, thinking this one would work with all the same mods blizzy's did, but it does not appear that this version works with Kerbal Alarm Clock. At least I couldn't get it to work when I tried last.

17 minutes ago, OldLost said:

don't understand this statement. When I look in CKAN there is no separate toolbar from blizzy. This one has both your names as author.

The mod is just called "toolbar" but since blizzy is the original author and it was a really popular mod, it's usually called "blizzys toolbar" ;) blizzy is also still listed as the the author in CKAN, together with LGG.

20 minutes ago, OldLost said:

You probably know this already, but I know I was a bit confused, thinking this one would work with all the same mods blizzy's did, but it does not appear that this version works with Kerbal Alarm Clock. At least I couldn't get it to work when I tried last. 

The toolbar controller (TC) mod works for mods which depend on it, so pretty much every mod which is created or maintained by LGG. Mod authors have to implement it in their mods instead of writing their own code to create and handle toolbar buttons, otherwise TC will not work with these mods.

There are still quite a lot of mods which allow you to switch between stock and blizzys toolbar without using TC, this option is usually found somewhere in the mod settings or in a config file.Kerbal ALarm Clock is one of these mods:

Spoiler

P6fThlg.png

On 7/24/2019 at 8:24 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 0.1.8.2

• Removed all UnBlur references

Was there a technical reason why UnBlur was removed? Was it causing problems? Or just too many people missing it? I'm curious as to why it was added and then removed a few versions later. 

3 hours ago, madindehead said:

Was there a technical reason why UnBlur was removed? Was it causing problems? Or just too many people missing it? I'm curious as to why it was added and then removed a few versions later. 

Two problems:  First was that it was added as a dependency, and that caused lots of people to have problems when upgrading.  

Second, it wasn't working as well as expected, and the author seems to have left the scene for a while.  He may come back, but I can't have something that is so necessary to have issues.

Third, the inefficiencies it replaced were not an impact on the game.  Better to read a file a few extra times than to cause the headaches it was causing

24 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Two problems:  First was that it was added as a dependency, and that caused lots of people to have problems when upgrading.  

Second, it wasn't working as well as expected, and the author seems to have left the scene for a while.  He may come back, but I can't have something that is so necessary to have issues.

Third, the inefficiencies it replaced were not an impact on the game.  Better to read a file a few extra times than to cause the headaches it was causing

I see a fourth reason: I remember that code checking the GameDatabase before (or after?) trying to read the file. So, for Add'Ons that choose to use textures on the GDB, Unblur users already have them "fixed" (after configuring the thing).

Add'Ons that choose to load it manually from the PluginData folder would keep doing it (and since this texture, ideally, is used only for the toolbar, it should be loaded only once anyway).

Add'Ons that manually load textures from outside a PluginData are doing it wrong, and they should be fixed - eventually.

5 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Add'Ons that choose to load it manually from the PluginData folder would keep doing it (and since this texture, ideally, is used only for the toolbar, it should be loaded only once anyway).

At worst, only once per scene change.

6 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Add'Ons that manually load textures from outside a PluginData are doing it wrong, and they should be fixed - eventually

Wrong is the wrong word, considering that not all mods use the ToolbarController (yet).  The worst that happens is that there is a copy of the icon in the game database as well as being manually loaded.  It is a small inefficiency, increases the load time very slightly and uses a small amount of memory

Just so you know, I had modified all my mods to put the textures into the PluginData, and have been slowly reversing that ever since I added UnBlur.  Now I have to back and undo the undo

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

At worst, only once per scene change.

A simple cache in a dictionary would solve that.  (I didn't realized it until now).

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Wrong is the wrong word, considering that not all mods use the ToolbarController (yet).  

Granted. They're not doing it right so. :)

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Just so you know, I had modified all my mods to put the textures into the PluginData, and have been slowly reversing that ever since I added UnBlur. 

You did it for a reason. Sometimes, Murphy just happens - and this stand-up guy is quite busy. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Under some (unknown) circumstances, duplicate buttons will appear on the stock toolbar. I'm not sure of what exactly triggers this, and wouldn't blame ToolbarController on it. However, could a manual "sanity check" button be added so that icons can be redrawn once the bug is triggered?

Not sure if such a request would fall inside the scope of this mod, but though about asking anyways.

5 hours ago, Tonas1997 said:

Under some (unknown) circumstances, duplicate buttons will appear on the stock toolbar. I'm not sure of what exactly triggers this, and wouldn't blame ToolbarController on it. However, could a manual "sanity check" button be added so that icons can be redrawn once the bug is triggered?

Not sure if such a request would fall inside the scope of this mod, but though about asking anyways.

I had that happen yesterday - in flight - just recompiled RMM and two icons were showing up - but it went away.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.