2nd KSP install

Now another dummy question ... I want to try some graphics mods but many forum discussions suggest installing a second, clean copy of KSP and try the mods on this 2nd install before putting them on the normal install - I'm using the Steam KSP, so (a) how do I install KSP again, and (b) once I've installed it, how do I launch it (I assume my desktop icon will only launch my current Steam install) - I'm not a computer scientist, I'm just trying to have some fun with KSP!

Just now, Garthog said:

Now another dummy question ... I want to try some graphics mods but many forum discussions suggest installing a second, clean copy of KSP and try the mods on this 2nd install before putting them on the normal install - I'm using the Steam KSP, so (a) how do I install KSP again, and (b) once I've installed it, how do I launch it (I assume my desktop icon will only launch my current Steam install) - I'm not a computer scientist, I'm just trying to have some fun with KSP!

Steam KSP is found in:

c:\program files(x86)\steam\steam apps\common

There you will find a folder called Kerbal Space Program that contains the entire game.  Simply copy this folder and all its sub-folders to any other location on your computer.   Once in the new location, go into the root folder and delete all files with "steam" in the name (should be 3, a dll and a few others).  These cause trouble if you leave them.  Then just make a desktop shortcut for either the 32-bit or 64-bit KSP executable file and you're good to go.

You can also simply copy the GameData folder instead of the entire install. 

Keep one stock, with just the Squad folder in it.  Put your mods in the other one(with the Squad folder!)

Keep them names GameDataStock and GameDataModded, or however you would need.  Whichever one you want to play, rename to GameData.

So if you're playing stock, your two folders would be GameData and GameDataModded

If you're playing modded, you would have GameData and GameDataStock.

Edited by Geonovast

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

You can also simply copy the GameData folder instead of the entire install. 

That is true, but then you're tied to Steam's update system and can only have 1 version of the game installed at any one time, the one in your Steam folder, and you have to fight Steam to keep it at an older version once Squad releases a patch.

It's a lot easier, and also safer, just to have completely different installs.  I never play my Steam install anymore, I just keep it pristine stock and fully updated, to be cloned when I want to start a new game or update an ongoing one from the previous version.  Installs elsewhere than in the Steam folder never update so you can play them forever, with their compatible versions of mods.  This is handy because each time the game updates, some of the mods you're using simply don't survive and the ones that do might take weeks to months before they update and get the resulting bugs ironed out.  So while this is going on, you can keep playing your games in the separate install of the older version.  Then, when you think the time is right, you can copy the new version of the game from Steam, install the new versions of your mods, and then copy your old save folder into the install for the new version.

1 minute ago, Geschosskopf said:

That is true, but then you're tied to Steam's update system and can only have 1 version of the game installed at any one time

Yeah I keep forgetting about that.  I have the GoG version, no forced updates.

I made the second install and it works fine - I had a few mods in my steam install (mechjeb, real plume, kerb eng, and a few more) ... can I simply delete those folders from the 2nd install gamedata folder, or will that cause a problem?  And will my CKAN app apply mods to my 1st or 2nd install?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.