AJE Extended Configs v2.0.4 - KSP version 1.8+

Citizen247

On 4/12/2020 at 2:14 PM, Citizen247 said:

I've tested with a few test craft on 1.8.1 and everything I've tested thus far is the same as other versions, so it's basically a balancing issue I think. Specifically, the PT6 configs are largely lifted directly from AJE, so it may be worth asking there as well. Honestly it's really hard to get any prop engines below 1000hp (or above 5000hp) to work anything like correctly. I'll take a look but I can't promise anything. Especially with turboprops, because the only way to do turboprops in AJE is basically to try and get the piston engine simulation to do turboprops.

I'm really not sure what to with turboprops basically. The lower end ones always seem to need a HP boost, but the higher end ones start to break the game.

What's the difference between piston and jet config for AJE?

11 hours ago, NotAnAimbot said:

What's the difference between piston and jet config for AJE?

Pistons model the way an internal combustion engine behaves, and you set things like manifold pressure, horsepower etc for the engine sim and a suitable propeller config.

Jets set things like compression ratio, max design thrust etc.

I was going to say that the jet sim only works for jets using thrust, you can't add a prop to them, and the propeller sim only works for piston engines. Which is true, but I've just now realised there is another engine module: rotors. They're designed for, obviously, helicopter rotors, but the engine sim is turbine based. It might be possible to beat that into working as a fixed wing turboprop. I have no idea though, I've not really done any configuration with rotors and it may not be possible to make the rotor sim work for a prop. I'll take a look at the code and see what I can do.

I could also probably make a pass at checking the prop configs are the best for the task.

Edited by Citizen247

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, KIMCHI said:

Is this ok for 1.9.1?

I've only tested it briefly but it seemed to work. These are configs that configure other mods, so in general if the other mods work on a release this should as well.

1 hour ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Hello,

Since AJE works in RO/RP-1, is this one good to go for this as well?

Thanks,

CM

It should work, but the engines aren't integrated with RP-1 at all, so I can't promise they'll fit properly in the tech-tree.

43 minutes ago, Citizen247 said:

It should work, but the engines aren't integrated with RP-1 at all, so I can't promise they'll fit properly in the tech-tree.

Well, it does in fact work! That they're not integrated with RP-1 doesn't bother me so much.

Regarding that patch that removes (soft remove) the engines configured by AJE, where... are they? 

42 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Regarding that patch that removes (soft remove) the engines configured by AJE, where... are they? 

They're given a category of none. But the only engines removed are ones that have AJE-extended equivalents.

[ERR 07:51:35.897] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key inletTitle = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/PitotTube/title$
[WRN 07:51:35.898] Can't find nodeType:AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS

[ERR 07:52:44.680] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key inletTitle = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/Isentropic/title$
[WRN 07:52:44.681] Can't find nodeType:AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS

Seeing this pop up a few times.

Edited by KIMCHI

On 5/8/2020 at 12:58 PM, KIMCHI said:

[ERR 07:51:35.897] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key inletTitle = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/PitotTube/title$
[WRN 07:51:35.898] Can't find nodeType:AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS

[ERR 07:52:44.680] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key inletTitle = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/Isentropic/title$
[WRN 07:52:44.681] Can't find nodeType:AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS

Seeing this pop up a few times.

Have you got AJE installed? The TPR curves are defined by AJE in the /AJE/Inlets/TPRCurveDefaults.cfg file. I've just checked and nothing has changed in the latest version so the only reason I can see for those errors is if AJE isn't installed (or not correctly installed).

Edited by Citizen247

So... in terms of functionality in RO, all is well. Engines to run on Kerosene and produce thrust, alright, and there are even upgrades available. Honestly, everything works except... the scale/size. The engines are tiny (sized for stock). Should they not resize??

2 hours ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

So... in terms of functionality in RO, all is well. Engines to run on Kerosene and produce thrust, alright, and there are even upgrades available. Honestly, everything works except... the scale/size. The engines are tiny (sized for stock). Should they not resize??

The engines are sized to their real world size, or should be. Or at least my best guess. Most Turbojets and low bypass turbo-fans should be around the 1 metre diameter mark (i.e. slightly smaller than stock size 1). I do fudge it in places, if the real world size is close to a stock size I'll usually bump it up or down to that. The High bypass turbofans should be pretty big, I think some are over three metres.

ETA:
While rocket engines tend to be 1.6 times the size of KSP ones, Jet engines tend to be smaller, if anything, in the real world.

EETA:

Having said that I've noticed a possible bug in the resize code on some engines, so they may not be resized properly. I'm in the process of uploading an update so try that when it's up (should be in the next hour).

Edited by Citizen247

It's a long way to Tipperary
v2.0.4 is up.

Adds a number of WW1 and inter-war engines:

Added engines:
Hispano-Suiza 8Aa variants: 8Ab and 8Bc
Clerget 9B and 9Bf
Oberursel Ur.I as a variant to the Oberursel U.II
BMW-IV variants: 6.0 and 7.3
Rolls-Royce Kestrel variant: VI

Added Templates for (but not currently in game):
Liberty v12
Mercedes DIII and DIIIaü
Le Rhone 9C and 9J
Bentley BR2 230 and 250hp variants
Hispano-Suiza 12Y

Tweaks:
Various tweaks to low HP prop engines
Kestrel now produces closer to it's real-world HP and performance across all variants
Altered some engines to use better propellers. The Kestrel especially now uses a more suitable variable pitch prop config.
Some supercharger tweaks.

Bugs fixed:
Incorrect code on some engines for resizing
Fixed FAR voxelization of Airplane Plus Fokker spinner

Download

Future Plans:

• Add engine configs for more of the templates in the database
  • More tweaks to low HP engines
  • A sanity pass. Especially to ensure propeller engines are using the correct props and superchargers
  • I'd like to produce some optional configs that use rotor modules for turboprops to see if they work better.
  • Some more engines:
    • British: Rolls Royce Eagle, Falcon, Hawk, Peregine and Buzzard. Bristol Jupiter. Siddeley Puma. Armstrong-Siddeley Cheetah.
    • American: Hall-Scott A-7, Curtis OX-5, Curtis K-12

I'd like to add some models for propeller engines next. These would be used as defaults and replaced with models from other mods where appropriate. I'd also like to look at the feasibility of using variant themes to switch models rather than the current hard overriding.

I'd probably aim eventually for having at least one default in the following categories:

Early (WW1):
Radial engine, Rotary engine, Inline and Vee

Mid (Interwar):
Radial and Vee

Late (WW2):
Radial and Vee

Edited by Citizen247
Forgot to mention bug fixes.

You can use the new engines for replicas of early aircraft. Just remember they're very low powered, so you need to keep the planes light and ensure they have very low wing loading.

I took them for a spin myself:

The Sopwith Camel (c1917):

fILSfgr.jpg

Engine: Clerget 9b (130hp)

Mass (Empty): 440kg (0.44t) (Fuelled): 537kg (0.537t)
Speed (Take-off): 26m/s (58mph) (Max): 80.5m/s (180mph)

The Hawker Fury (c1931):
frRlBDs.jpg

Engine: Kestrel-VI  (740hp)

Mass (Empty): 1538kg (1.538t) (Fuelled): 1806kg (1.806t)
Speed (Take-off): 40m/s (89mph) (Max): 117m/s (262mph)

5 hours ago, Citizen247 said:

I'm hoping this is a good sign that the new update fixed your issue?

Well, I looked at the actual engines on the AN-124 and -225 along with the C-5, used a procedural tank set to the diameter values and overlaid them on the engines. So the scale does seem right after all. But for some reason, the real world counterparts actually seem better sized. The values I got when I used Proc Parts seem to be off by just about 0.1m. So all in all, yeah I think it's all good. 

So, I've got a heavily modded new install (haven't even created a savefile) and I've got numerous segments in the log that go something like this ...

[LOG 23:47:49.658] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Squad/Parts/Engine/jetEngines/jetEngineAfterburning/AJEE_RROlympus_Jet'
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable base_diameter not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable AJEE_thrustTransformName not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable AJEE_fxOffset not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable AJEE_flameoutEffect not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable AJEE_runningEffect not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable AJEE_powerEffect not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable AJEE_engageEffect not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable AJEE_disengageEffect not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable AJEE_spoolEffect not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable AJEE_spoolEffect2 not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable oldMaxTemp not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable tempMult not found in Part
[LOG 23:47:49.680] [ModuleEnginesAJEJet] Reading engine params from cache for engine AJEE.RROlympus.Jet
[ERR 23:47:49.681] Module ModuleEngineConfigs threw during OnLoad: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.SetConfiguration (System.String newConfiguration, System.Boolean resetTechLevels) [0x000a8] in <8f51b17657a546bc9d737ed47d61667b>:0 
  at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.OnLoad (ConfigNode node) [0x001a7] in <8f51b17657a546bc9d737ed47d61667b>:0 
  at PartModule.Load (ConfigNode node) [0x001ab] in <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0 

[LOG 23:47:49.704] PartLoader: Part 'Squad/Parts/Engine/jetEngines/jetEngineAfterburning/AJEE_RROlympus_Jet' has no database record. Creating.

So, since I have time on my hands (and need a dose of cranial-rectal inversion), I dug in and found a few things ...

For the AJEE-PWJ58.cfg, you have it named AJEE_PW58_Jet.  The config is missing the 'J' in a few places.  

=====

For the AJEE-JUMO004.cfg, it looks like RealFuels is thowing this WRN ...

[WRN 23:47:56.703] *RFMEC* WARNING could not find configuration of name Jumo-004A for part AJEE.JUMO004.Jet: Attempting to locate fallback configuration.

Did you mean JUMO or JUNO?

How is it picking up the 'A'?

=====

The only parts with no associated Error Message are ...
AJEE.PWF119.Jet
AJEE.PWF135.Jet
AJEE.RRPegasus.Jet
AJEE.RRTrent.Jet (config ext = cut, not working)

I want to say there is an unholy interaction going on between AJEE (via AJE) and RF.

6 hours ago, TranceaddicT said:

So, I've got a heavily modded new install (haven't even created a savefile) and I've got numerous segments in the log that go something like this ...

These warnings:

[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable base_diameter not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable AJEE_thrustTransformName not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable AJEE_fxOffset not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable AJEE_flameoutEffect not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable AJEE_runningEffect not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable AJEE_powerEffect not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable AJEE_engageEffect not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable AJEE_disengageEffect not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable AJEE_spoolEffect not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable AJEE_spoolEffect2 not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable oldMaxTemp not found in Part
[WRN 23:47:49.668] PartLoader Warning: Variable tempMult not found in Part

Are harmless and are expected. AJEE adds custom variables to part definitions during the templating phase. Those warnings are just the partloader saying they don't map to a field in the part code module. Which they wouldn't, I'm adding them to pass messages around the different phases of AJEEs part compilation, they're not a part of the part itself. For instance that first one, base_diameter, passes the base part's size in meters. So say a size one part would have a base_diameter of 1.25. It allows me to determine the correct resize factor to size parts based on their real-world sizes:

@rescaleFactor = #$@AJEE_TEMPLATES/AJEE_RROLYMPUS/diameter$
	@rescaleFactor /= #$/base_diameter$

Anyway, those warnings don't harm anything or cause any problems. At some stage I'll be adding a post process pass to rip out the custom variables, but honestly since they don't cause any problems except a little padding to the log file it's low on my to do list and I haven't got around to it yet.

[ERR 23:47:49.681] Module ModuleEngineConfigs threw during OnLoad: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I noticed these a few days ago myself. I think I know what's causing it and should be fixed for the next release. Either way it doesn't seem to stop anything from working.

For the AJEE-PWJ58.cfg, you have it named AJEE_PW58_Jet.  The config is missing the 'J' in a few places.  

The engine template named AJEE_PWJ58, the part is named AJEE_PW58_Jet. Either way I've added the J to the part config now for consistency. I'll probably add a temporary depreciated hidden part config without the j to prevent craft breakage.

For the AJEE-JUMO004.cfg, it looks like RealFuels is thowing this WRN ...

[WRN 23:47:56.703] *RFMEC* WARNING could not find configuration of name Jumo-004A for part AJEE.JUMO004.Jet: Attempting to locate fallback configuration.

Did you mean JUMO or JUNO?

How is it picking up the 'A'?

Jumo:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Jumo_004

The warning is telling me that the I've used the wrong name in the alternate configurations for the default. It used to be called "Jumo-004A", it's now called "Junkers Jumo 004A". I'd forgotten to change the default when I changed the configuration names. I hadn't noticed because the modules resort to the first in the list if they can't find the named default, and the first in the list was Junkers Jumo 004A.

The alternate configurations (004A, B, C and H) are defined in the AJEE_JUMO004 template in the AJEE-German-Jet-Templates.cfg file.

Thanks

I figured the variables weren't a problem, just the system complaining about new stuff and the 'J' is just my CDO (properly ordered OCD.)

I dug into it because of the last four.  Found it odd when I counted 39 NREs and there were 43 parts.  Glad I could help on the junk ...ers.

Having said that I just put in the fix for the:

errors, but they're still coming up... So I'm not sure what's causing those. Everything seems to work fine though...

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, TranceaddicT said:

Imma just drop this here for your consideration.

It looks like AJEE is causing RF to NRE.

Yes, there appears to be a problem getting ModuleEngineConfigs from RealFuels to work with AJE part modules during partload. It doesn't seem to affect anything in-game, nor does it prevent parts being loaded, so is almost a cosmetic error. Still no errors is better than some, even ones that can be ignored. As mentioned in the RF thread, I think I'm going to actually delve into the RF code and debug it at runtime to find the root cause. Personally I'm not sure it's something I can fix at this end, ModuleEngineConfigs probably needs to be patched to deal with AJE engine modules. It assumes it's working with either a stock ModuleEngine* module or a stock RCS module, and I think that's the root cause somehow.

Either way it's probably something I'll have to look at (I can't expect the RF guys to fix a incompatibility for my lone use case), be it submitting a patch to RF or writing my own AJE version of ModuleEngineConfigs for AJE-E.

Edited by Citizen247

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.