Simple RSS Patch [all KSP versions]

Jimbodiah

JimboFlag.png   Simple RSS Patch

RSS Patch (all KSP versions)

download from SpaceDock
latest version: v1.11  (11-04-2021)  Unless Squad renames their engine modules, this patch will work with any KSP version.

This patch is aimed at the stock KSP players, or lazy players like myself, that want an introduction to the huge scale of the Real Solar System (RSS) but who find extra mod packs like RO/Smurff too daunting for now. Simply install RSS, add this patch and you are good-to-go with the stock parts and other parts mods you have already installed. Fly around the massive Earth, explore the real planets and moons. 

A super simple patch that tunes engine thrust and ISP so that you can use stock parts in a bare install of Real Solar System without needing Realism Overhaul or other complicated setups. This does not re-scale your rockets to actual real-world size like RO does, but keeps all components as they are out of the box.

Also comes with a patch to move the launch location to Alcântara in Brazil which is near the equator. Thanks to José Eduardo for the tip!

note: SSTU, BDB or similar mods are highly recommended to get a wide variety of engines and modular fuel tanks that scale up to anything you could need in RSS.

SSRSS Patch

Download file [v1.2 13-06-2017]   Unless Squad renames their engine modules, this patch will work with any KSP version.

A simple patch for SSRSS to balance thrust/ISP so that you will need to build larger, more realistic, ships to do the things you would normally do. This will get rid of the short, chubby, gumby-looking ships in stock game play and requires you to use larger tanks and thus get more realistic looking rockets. Best used in combination with SSTU.  Can be modified to run with stock system as well by removing the NEEDS[SSRSS] part.

Edited by Jimbodiah

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi, I know I am necro-ing a somewhat old thread, but just a general question. I'm using your mod currently, and is there any possible way to make the patch only apply to stock parts? Or a way to create a configuration file to do so? I've been doing some basic googling and asking around for help to see if it is possible to do by myself, but I really don't have a great idea on how to do it, so that is why I am asking for help. Thank you.

Edited by king406

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Updated for the 1.6.1 release of Real Solar System. If you have RSS working in 1.7.0 then this should also work. The mod is quite simple so should not break between versions. Only the Alcantara launch site is mod dependant in this patch.

Edited by Jimbodiah

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just wanted to add my two cents to this excellent patch. Using it as is, some of the mods (for example, BDB replicas) are still not able to reach orbit, etc. But increasing the overall numbers makes the stock parts way over-powered, so my solution was to add settings for each mod separately. Here is what I have for BDB, and Chrayol Design. Don't quote me on the numbers, as this can probably still be tweaked for more "realism" individual tastes :P

// Bluedog Design Bureau
@PART[bluedog*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]]:NEEDS[RealSolarSystem&!SSRSS]:FINAL
{
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        @maxThrust *= 1.5
        @atmosphereCurve
        {
            @key[1, ] *= 1.285
            @key,1[1, ] *= 1.285
            @key,2[1, ] *= 1.285
        }
    }
}

// PSLV
@PART[CDO_*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]]:NEEDS[RealSolarSystem&!SSRSS]:FINAL
{
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        @maxThrust *= 1.5
        @atmosphereCurve
        {
            @key[1, ] *= 1.13
            @key,1[1, ] *= 1.13
            @key,2[1, ] *= 1.13
        }
    }
}

Edited by nasaholic

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.