The Eve Project

Dfthu

As a person who enjoys unmanned probes and space stations more than kerbaled spaceflight, I have never (legitimately) returned a Kerbal form another body outside the Kerbin system. One day I decided I would return a Kerbal from the surface of Eve. This will massive undertaking as I will have to develop new landers and other stuff . To practice I will land and return from Duna to test and learn for the final Eve mission, possibly returning from Jool. I plan to land 3 Kerbals on Duna and 1 on Eve, to save weight. I'll also use my exciting mission architecture to help me along the way. Duna has a communications satellite and space station, so it would need any help there. But Eve has nothing, so my first launch of the Eve Project will be a small relay lander and orbital communications satellite. It's currently sitting on the pad, waiting for launch tomorrow. Its flown by my standard heavy lift lifter plus my nuclear transfer stage.

rqnkBBi.png

Edited by Dfthu

Ah, Eve, the delta-v sink of the known universe. Only place that comes close as demanding is Tycho. Eve has the advantage that it's relatively easy to land. Going back up, now that's a trick.

Course, then there was the crazy guy who send a rocket down to 0m on Jool and then brought it back up.

At around noon today the ESL (Eve Satellite and Lander) lifted off. Most of the launch nominal expect the Main Engines running out of fuel before the SRBs.

smEpGpP.png

Here is the 2nd stage separation, with faring separation around 2 minutes later.

qZzzFCA.png

After getting into a near orbit I did the Kerbin escape burn, using the Mun for gravity assist.

ZKQfg2K.png

Soon after I did the Eve insertion burn, and then Eve capture burn. I was still in heavily inclined orbit, so I leveled it out and lower the orbit.

lp6ddlU.png

Once in the orbit I disconnected the lander plus the transfer stage, leaving the satellite in orbit.

l29Tmkw.png

I brought the orbit down to around 300x80km, and detached the transfer stage. Once the lander hit the atmosphere I inflated the heat shield and let it do its thing.

4hnXWx3.png

After a slow and boring decent, I landed safely. I then extended the solar panels.

TYFZj1o.png

Once I was done with the lander I focused on the satellite. I brought it on a Geosynchronous orbit above the lander.

iXoCnrV.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.