[1.12] Speed Unit Annex — enhanced navball panel, contextually! (2021-12-17)

flart

• 2 weeks later...

Version 1.2.5

•  added traits to kerbal's names: P. Jebediah, S. Bob, etc.
  •  better kerbal's names cropping & optimization
  •  fixed AGL in the sea: shows distance to bottom, if a vessel is below -20m  
    • PR to KER about a correct near-zero AGL when you landed on a bottom of an ocean

Spoiler

Pilot Chadbrett Kerman:

6rfJGwn.jpg    nTOCMLr.jpg

a underwater base, and engineer Joehat Kerman is outside thinking what 70 atm is ok

3ATFTVD.jpg     RHVUt9C.jpg

Edited by flart

• 1 month later...

Version 1.2.6

• recompile for ksp 1.6.0
    backward compatible with 1.4

if you had used KER only for the dV calculation, and Ap/Pe, Time to the next Ap/Pe, AGL, Mach number on the flight scene — all the values you can get inside stock UI on the flight scene with the ksp1.6 + SpeedUnitAnnex, and more.

Edited by flart

On 11/18/2018 at 10:28 AM, flart said:

Version 1.2.5

•  added traits to kerbal's names: P. Jebediah, S. Bob, etc.
  •  better kerbal's names cropping & optimization
  •  fixed AGL in the sea: shows distance to bottom, if a vessel is below -20m  
    • PR to KER about a correct near-zero AGL when you landed on a bottom of an ocean

The EVA names (plus the trait/role tag) is a charming feature, thank you!

Elegant use of screen real-estate.

Between the new stock delta-v data, and using this mod for AP/PE I no longer I feel the need to have KER data all over my screen. Thank you so much for this mod!

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Modding Maniac said:

PLEASE add MPH, I will literally kill for mPH

2 hours ago, flart said:

Turn off "rover speedometer: km/h" in the settings, it enables mph for rovers

1 hour ago, Modding Maniac said:

i meant for planes

I hope you can halt a needless murder, @flart ;)

17 hours ago, Modding Maniac said:

i meant for planes

If you need mph for planes only sometimes, for fun, the easiest way is to change type of the vessel to the "rover", to check out mph and then to get back to the "plane" (all without summoning difficulty settings)

if you want always to have mph instead of mach (despite engines max thrust achieves on the some mach) I can remake settings page for changeable mach/knots/kmph/mph for the planes

24 minutes ago, flart said:

If you need mph for planes only sometimes, for fun, the easiest way is to change type of the vessel to the "rover", to check out mph and then to get back to the "plane" (all without summoning difficulty settings)

if you want always to have mph instead of mach (despite engines max thrust achieves on the some mach) I can remake settings page for changeable mach/knots/kmph/mph for the planes

thenk

• 2 weeks later...

Version 1.3.2

"The relative docking port Roll angle" is the same number as in the Docking Port Alignment Indicator (calculation from there):

y9REt28.jpg

Also option was added for showing all relative angles,
number fanatics could use these 3 numbers (Yaw, Pitch and Roll) instead of their graphical representation in the  Navball Docking Alignment Indicator CE-2:

zLp4qTe.jpg

ChangeLog:

• surface: multiple choices for rover and airplane speedometers settings
    • added km/h and mph for airplanes
  • target: relative docking port angles
    • Only Roll angle
    • Yaw, Pitch and Roll angles
    • integer or one decimal digit precision for angles
    • option for disabling target name
  • recompile for ksp 1.6.1
  • fix settings-esc bug
  • fix targeting .NET version to 3.5
Edited by flart

• 1 month later...

Hi! Thanks for this mod, great integration, and a feature that should be possible in stock IMO. That said, I wonder if this can -or could- easily be made compatible with FAR? The surface modes don't work with FAR installed, as it also replace the speedometer with its own, I think. Maybe it's just my install, I'm no expert at all, but if someone got those 2 working together, I'd love to know how!

59 minutes ago, Duema said:

FAR replace the speedometer with its own, I think.

Another mod that I am not well familiar with =)

It changes an ATM density, all parts drag system, but I don't know how It can change speed of the vessel, atm there doesn't have some wind, right?
Give some screenshots what is going on with FAR+SUA

23 hours ago, flart said:

No sure that Principia has API for the next Ap and Pe. Does KER support it? 

Eh, I don't think so. Well, I would say it's not entirely incompatible, but the orbit info provided for KER might not reliable due to its complete rework of orbital mechanics. Surface readings would probably still work fine, but Principia also changes stuff regarding the navball (sorry, not remotely knowledgeable on coding, can't properly describe it). I guess it would be quite some effort to make both compatible, I couldn't ask you to do this just because of one player.

EDIT: Well, it seems Prinicpia supports KER. So, the issue might have something to do with the way it uses the NavBall. Since Principia models n-body physics, it changes the navball according to the change in reference frame, which I suspect is why SUA is having some trouble, but this is wild guess on my part.

Edited by BadLeo

• 2 weeks later...

@Duema , I have loaded SUA v1.3.3 (PreRelease), which is working with FAR

Also you need to update FAR to the next version, later than the v0.15.9.7 "Lumley" Ferram-Aerospace-Research/releases

Or if it doesn't released yet, download manually FerramAerospaceResearch.dll, and rewrite to GameData/FerramAerospaceResearch/Plugins/

@BadLeo ok, I will take a look

Edited by flart

On 3/8/2019 at 6:04 PM, BadLeo said:

Decided to give Principia a go and it seems SUA isn't showing up its magic along with it.

I was thinking you talking that SUA shows wrong numbers with Pricipia, but Principia has its own Navball panel for the Orbit mode.
SUA Surface mode works ok, and I am not sure what happens with the Target mode.

Even if I win the battle for Navball Panel, you still lose Pricipia's short mode-titles (KCI, KCKF, etc) and numbers for Ap/Pe will be same as KER, but not Principia's Predicted Next Ap/Pe

Spoiler

tVjg1Qy.png

I mean, even if the Principia pass me API for disabling its Navball panel and for getting a current title ("KCI" etc) then Ap/Pe and maybe a speed still will be not correct,

and passing the next Ap/Pe to Flight mode looks too CPU wasteful.

@eggrobin any thoughts there?

7 hours ago, flart said:

I was thinking you talking that SUA shows wrong numbers with Pricipia, but Principia has its own Navball panel for the Orbit mode.
 SUA Surface mode works ok, and I am not sure what happens with the Target mode.

Even if I win the battle for Navball Panel, you still lose Pricipia's short mode-titles (KCI, KCKF, etc) and numbers for Ap/Pe will be same as KER, but not Principia's Predicted Next Ap/Pe

Reveal hidden contents

tVjg1Qy.png

I mean, even if the Principia pass me API for disabling its Navball panel and for getting a current title ("KCI" etc) then Ap/Pe and maybe a speed still will be not correct,

and passing the next Ap/Pe to Flight mode looks too CPU wasteful.

@eggrobin any thoughts there?

I am not familiar with your mod, but at a glance your diagnosis seems accurate. I don't really see a meaningful way out of that incompatibility; there just is more information to show with Principia (in this case, the choice of reference frame), so throwing more stuff into the navball is tricky.

We are actually working on orbital analysis tooling, to provide a better understanding of perturbed near-Keplerian orbits; this would provide contextual information (things like the nodal and apsidal orbital periods., synchronicities, repeat ground track properties if applicable, etc.), but would likely be displayed in a separate window.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.