Starter KSC-Island Challenge

Overview

You have to build a plane, capable of flying from the KSC runway to the Island runway, only using the Start tech and a new Jeb. Then you have to fly it, to the island and land it on the runway. You have to do this with as least stages as possible. You will not be scored based on time or part crashes, etc.

Rules

• The liftoff and landing has to be horizontal, and you must start in the default KSC runway starting position
  • You are allowed to upgrade any of your buildings
  • You are allowed to cheat yourself money, but otherwise, you are not allowed to use mods or cheats.
  • You are only allowed to have one pod, and you are only allowed to control from it
  • You are not allowed to go to space (above 70000m)
  • You are not allowed to fly at an angle more than 60 degrees (from the ground)
  • You are allowed to have engines on any side, with any rotation, etc.
  • You can use ANY tool in the SPH
  • Your craft must be built in the SPH
  • You must provide a detailed description of your flight with at least a screenshot of your plane in the SPH, on the runway, taking off, mid-flight, landing, and at the end and/or youtube video
  • You must use version 1.3.x

Scoring

• Success +10 Points
  • Each stage -1 Point
  • Youtube Video +5 Legit
  • Craft File +5 Legit

Leaderboard (Up to 100 Places)

Leaderboard Spreadsheet

• You must have a legitness of 10
  • You must be personally approved by me
  • If you have the same score as someone else on the leaderboard, you will be judged based on your flight (video) and your design.
  • Note: I am a human, it might take some time for me to add you, and I might never add you (especially if this challenge gets very popular and there will be hundreds of replies).

Planes? Rockets? Rule Breaking? (Edit)

A lot of people said that it's impossible to build a plane with start tech. By plane I don't mean something that is air-breathing, has jet engines, etc. By plane I mean something that flies like a plane, resembles a plane, and takes off and lands horizontally. Minor rule breakings that were probably done by accident (ex. 2nd command pod, angle a few degrees above 60, etc.) will be punished by removing a few points. Major rule breaking (ex. Usage of cheats, going to space, etc.) will result in complete disqualification

Edited by Beluga Whale
Minor Edit Fix

9 hours ago, Beluga Whale said:

Overview

You have to build a plane, capable of flying from the KSC runway to the Island runway, only using the Start tech and a new Jeb. Then you have to fly it, to the island and land it on the runway. You have to do this with as least stages as possible. You will not be scored based on time or part crashes, etc.

Rules

• The liftoff and landing has to be horizontal, and you must start in the default KSC runway starting position
  • You are allowed to cheat yourself money, but otherwise, you are not allowed to use mods or cheats.
  • You are not allowed to fly at an angle more than 60 degrees (from the ground)

you understand that there are no landing gear for horizontal flight at all in new tech, right? or that you would almost inevitably fail the "keep the aircraft below 60 degrees" on parachute deployment. or that there's only basic fins so you are inevitably designing a rocket. 

Edited by exbyde

3 hours ago, exbyde said:

you understand that there are no landing gear for horizontal flight at all in new tech, right? or that you would almost inevitably fail the "keep the aircraft below 60 degrees" on parachute deployment. or that there's only basic fins so you are inevitably designing a rocket. 

There are ways to succeed in this challenge, I build 4 different craft that did it successfully.

Wait.... you don’t start out with any controllable wings or sas modules without upgrading tech...

The only way I can think of to make liftoff and landing horizontal would be to use girders as skis, but those aren’t starting tech either.

Edited by ShadowGoat

3 hours ago, Beluga Whale said:

There are ways to succeed in this challenge, I build 4 different craft that did it successfully.

There's no landing gear, control surfaces or sas module at all in starting tech. Your challenge is to build a plane, yet the very first plane parts and jet engines available at least on aviation node tech. The only propulsion on starting tech is just a flea SRB, which makes the craft essentially a manned guided missile. A horizontal takeoff and landing isn't possible using starting tech since flea (and starting parts) is very fragile. Also, the only control that available in starting node is just reaction wheel on mk1 pod, which, without any way to generate power due to the lack of the parts, would be very limited. Inevitably, players will build a rocket instead of plane

Also, the rules of the challenge is that the creator must post their attempt to prove that the challenge is possible (and since you said you have built 4, then post your attempt to prove that this challenge is indeed possible. I'd like to see it)

Edited by ARS

Just now, Rocket In My Pocket said:

It's possible yeah; but can you really call something with no control surfaces, or air-breathing engines, or actual wings; a "plane?"

I guess you're kind of right, but still it is kind of a plane if it looks like a plane and it flies like a plane.

2 hours ago, ShadowGoat said:

Wait.... you don’t start out with any controllable wings or sas modules without upgrading tech...

The only way I can think of to make liftoff and landing horizontal would be to use girders as skis, but those aren’t starting tech either.

There are modular grid segments

9 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

It's possible yeah; but can you really call something with no control surfaces, or air-breathing engines, or actual wings; a "plane?"

Yes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket-powered_aircraft 

With one small difference: reaction wheels instead of control surfaces :)

Edited by Marschig

2 minutes ago, Marschig said:

Yes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket-powered_aircraft 

With one small difference: reaction wheel instead of control surfaces :)

Yeah, you see lol; that's a "plane" because it has wings and control surfaces.

If it didn't have either of those things we'd just call it a rocket.

This challenge is basically to make a starter tech rocket that takes off and lands horizontally, which is a fine challenge however, what it isn't is a "plane" challenge. At least not in my opinion.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

1 hour ago, ARS said:

There's no landing gear, control surfaces or sas module at all in starting tech. Your challenge is to build a plane, yet the very first plane parts and jet engines available at least on aviation node tech. The only propulsion on starting tech is just a flea SRB, which makes the craft essentially a manned guided missile. A horizontal takeoff and landing isn't possible using starting tech since flea (and starting parts) is very fragile. Also, the only control that available in starting node is just reaction wheel on mk1 pod, which, without any way to generate power due to the lack of the parts, would be very limited. Inevitably, players will build a rocket instead of plane

Also, the rules of the challenge is that the creator must post their attempt to prove that the challenge is possible (and since you said you have built 4, then post your attempt to prove that this challenge is indeed possible. I'd like to see it)

I read all of 

and there is nothing that tells the creator to post his/her craft.

22 minutes ago, ShadowGoat said:

Also modular grid segments aren’t strong enough to act as skis. Also they are way to bulky.

Actually they are, with an 80m/s impact resistance; that's plenty of wiggle room to take off and land. Bulky; they are indeed though, and draggy.

I have tons of designs that use them from back when landing gear was borked.

Seriously guys? We're arguing over what makes a plane? :D

3 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

We're getting off topic here, let's agree to disagree on what constitutes a plane.

Let's do that ^

Call it whatever you want, I'm relatively confident that this challenge is not impossible. However, I would recommend that the OP upload their attempt.....

22 hours ago, Beluga Whale said:

Leaderboard (Up to 100 Places)

22 hours ago, Beluga Whale said:

(especially if this challenge gets very popular and there will be thousands of replies).

Er, not to insult/inflict offense, but very few challenges get thousands of replies. The most popular 'challenge' at the moment is @exbyde's fighter competition, and that has ~1500 replies.

Edited by Earthlinger

4 hours ago, Beluga Whale said:

I read all of 

and there is nothing that tells the creator to post his/her craft.

Yeah, but everyone who makes a challenge in this forum will almost always at least post their own attempt to prove that it is indeed possible (see the "is this challenge possible?"), that would encourage people to participate and give them incentive to do it because there is a proof that it's possible. Since you already said you make 4 of it, then post it

55 minutes ago, ARS said:

Yeah, but everyone who makes a challenge in this forum will almost always at least post their own attempt to prove that it is indeed possible (see the "is this challenge possible?"), that would encourage people to participate and give them incentive to do it because there is a proof that it's possible. Since you already said you make 4 of it, then post it

As you can see it is possible

2. I don't want to share my craft because they will make the challenge less interesting by revealing multiple ways to do it.

1 hour ago, Marschig said:

https://kerbalx.com/Marschig/I2

There were a discussion about planes. This craft has a cabin, engines, wings, a tail and some kind of chassis. I think, it's a plane :)

Umm...not sure how to say this politely. Perhaps I'm confused about the rules of the challenge. :confused:

On 1/15/2018 at 2:56 PM, Beluga Whale said:

You are only allowed to have one pod, and you are only allowed to control from it

I see two pods? Still, very nice horizontal rocket you've got there! :wink:

(Seriously though, nice job. I got bored and gave up after like 5 mins, only made it 1/2 way to the island)

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

2 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Umm...not sure how to say this politely. Perhaps I'm confused about the rules of the challenge. :confused:

I see two pods? Still, very nice horizontal rocket you've got there! :wink:

Wait what? There's a second command pod? I never noticed that! I'll remove some points for using the second cockpit

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.