Dolores O'Riordan

Green Baron

There was a push in the 90s in our community to “de-Irish” ourselves, on account of The Troubles and the Travelers and other such reasons that we can’t discuss here. (And many of “us” had been in America for a nigh-on a century.) As such, The Cranberries, U2, Sinead O’Conner, and other such Irish acts were very much taboo and were NOT to be listened to.

So naturally they were exactly what we were all secretly playing in our walkmans and discmans and what nots. And not so secretly, as Irish rock was all over the radio at the time. We were just strongly discouraged from saying anything nice about it in public.

So, yeah, I’m having a bit of a hard time with this one too. This is the music I grew up on. Soon their voices will be nothing more than ghosts whispering to us from beyond the grave, and ours with them.

At least she found some good years to get away from the insanity that is the biz and build a family. Such a rare thing in our increasingly toxic always-on always-connected hyperactive modern culture. 

Edited by Cydonian Monk

6 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

As such, The Cranberries, U2, Sinead O’Conner, and other such Irish acts were very much taboo and were NOT to be listened to.

I've been on a pretty good B*Witched kick lately.  Even moreso than I was when they got started.

I was never big into The Cranberries.  In fact, I could only name two of their songs, and I'm sure they're two that everyone can name.  Usually celebrity deaths don't bother me so much (unless they actually had some influence on me.  Leonard Nimoy's death was upsetting) not sure why this one is picking at me.

I've loved the Cranberries for years... I even have an Emiko chapter named Zombie, with a quote from the Cranberries song: Zombie... and I just added a dedication to Dolores to the beginning of it.

Might not be the most appropriate, under the circumstances... But this was always my favorite of hers:

It's sad.

Zombie remains as an absolutely fantastic song with a very pointedly political message, yet delivered in such a way that you could conceivably not even notice it, especially without the benefit of the video.

They had other popular songs for sure, at the time they got a hell of a lot of airplay as well, but that song in particular arrived in the charts right as the peace process really got going in ernest, and will forever serve as a cultural touchpoint for that piece of Irish history.

People (myself included) often throw out the phrase that xyz helped to define a generation, but that particular song really did.

Zombie is a great song because it contextualizes and represents history in a way that no dry paragraph in a textbook ever could. All that pain, anger, and frustration just come pouring out of Dolores. It makes society remember and respect the event far longer than otherwise.

I think it's up there with a lot of the great songs that came out of the Vietnam War era. Youngsters who like the tune eventually learn that people lived and died for that music.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.