Kerbal Space Program Enhanced Edition Grand Discussion thread

UomoCapra

Everyone again it hasn't even been out a week yet. Please calm down. I've had many troubles too but many are just with the controls. Technical support on the forums is very helpful ok. Give them time. QA can only do so much. They had ALREADY STATED they are working on a patch. It happens give them some time. I understand your frustration. I've waited a year and a half for this too ok. Atleast give them two weeks to identify the code that is causing a problem and fix it. 

From what I have seen the game isn't that buggy. Just the controls are awful. Trim being a prime example. These stuff take time. Code is complicated. They can't scroll down to item 1 find the flaw and fix it. They need to first FIND IT and then furthur write a fix that doesn't have any bugs, AND that doesn't bug other areas of the game. Give them a little time. They said in the weeklies they are taking the criticism and working on it. I know its  hard to trust them after FTE. But give them a chance to fix it. This stuff takes TIME. Squad Developers don't eat breathe and live KSP. Give them time, they need to focus on Making History too. Ok to be blunt we are a priority but PC is the vast majority of players. They need to finish making History. SQUAD is going to most likely give a list of Bugs and then send it to Blitworks. They wrote the code. 

Give them a chance.

Good Luck 

And yet we were informed of the extensive testing of the controls...

which apparently missed things like buttons not working, never mind the issues around the actual control configuration 

You get one chance to make a good first impression 

KSP has failed, twice

I hope you will forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, is there any news of whether the add-ons will eventually make it to us console bods?  The Make History additions sound right up my alley but sadly, right now a console is a heck of a lot more affordable than a PC, so I'm playing the Enhanced Edition*.

Whilst I'm here, does anyone know off hand how to revert focus back to your vessel?

* I stuck with the PC version on an aged laptop for a long time, but with the graphics turned right down to the absolute minimum.  Having seen the game as it should look, I don't think I can go back!

1 hour ago, Clipperride said:

I hope you will forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, is there any news of whether the add-ons will eventually make it to us console bods?  The Make History additions sound right up my alley but sadly, right now a console is a heck of a lot more affordable than a PC, so I'm playing the Enhanced Edition*.

Whilst I'm here, does anyone know off hand how to revert focus back to your vessel?

* I stuck with the PC version on an aged laptop for a long time, but with the graphics turned right down to the absolute minimum.  Having seen the game as it should look, I don't think I can go back!

There has been no word on wether the DLC will come to the consoles.  I'm sure they are just concerned with getting it to the PC right now as they continue to iron out the kinks in the console edition.  They would probably like to get it to consoles, but seeing as we are still a few version behind PC I'm sure if it does come it won't be some time until after it release for PC.

As far as revert focus back to vessel if you are using the radial controls scheme you press R3 or right stick on Xbox.  For curser controls I haven't seen any body mention what it is.(though plenty have asked)

Is there a easy way to fly your kerbal in EVA? In the old version it was soo easy to fly, but now If i try to aim my kerbal in the right direction, he or she keeps on spinning. SASdoesnt help, I use time warp to stop the spin. In the old version if you aimed the camera at something the kerbal would automaticly position it self to what ever you are aiming at. That doesnt work anymore. Tips anyone?

4 minutes ago, Haye said:

Is there a easy way to fly your kerbal in EVA? In the old version it was soo easy to fly, but now If i try to aim my kerbal in the right direction, he or she keeps on spinning. SASdoesnt help, I use time warp to stop the spin. In the old version if you aimed the camera at something the kerbal would automaticly position it self to what ever you are aiming at. That doesnt work anymore. Tips anyone?

Try changing the camera orientation mode.  I don't remember which works best, but I think it was the "free" mode. I believe hitting R3 cycles through them.

On 19/01/2018 at 10:20 PM, HebaruSan said:

Thanks for the clear description. Not having the console version, I was trying to understand exactly why trim was coming up as such a frequent problem, and you laid it out nicely. Luckily this sort of thing should be easy to fix, just tweak the control scheme slightly. Nowhere near as complex as an unpredictable save corruption issue, for example.

This is the problem, the console version is so limited that - as I stated before - you cannot tweak the control scheme without changing the whole preset (from which only 3 presets exist).

There's no control customization or anything like that. The only way not to have this fine throttle control with trim problem is if you switch from Radial preset (which I really liked) to Cursor preset. But cursor preset also has a lot of others key conflicts and seems way less intuitive.

On 22/01/2018 at 8:10 AM, Leopard said:

And yet we were informed of the extensive testing of the controls...

which apparently missed things like buttons not working, never mind the issues around the actual control configuration 

You get one chance to make a good first impression 

KSP has failed, twice

What still hurts me the most is that after all the testing, nobody noticed that you can't buy parts from R&D in career mode on hard difficulty.

Now I 've been stuck for about a week without playing the career mode cause I can't buy any parts for my ship and progress.

This has been reported and added to the Bug Tracker 9 days ago, and the progress on the bug fix is still at 10%...

On 24/01/2018 at 11:06 PM, Omnifarious said:

So how exactly do I activate the debug menu, step by step on Xbox? The konami code does nothing, no matter where I enter it.

You must enter the code at the pause menu if I'm not mistaken.

1 hour ago, Arch3rAc3 said:

This is the problem, the console version is so limited that - as I stated before - you cannot tweak the control scheme without changing the whole preset (from which only 3 presets exist).

There's no control customization or anything like that. The only way not to have this fine throttle control with trim problem is if you switch from Radial preset (which I really liked) to Cursor preset. But cursor preset also has a lot of others key conflicts and seems way less intuitive.

Thanks, I understand that. I meant easy for the devs to fix, as compared to other problems.

Has anyone figured out how to physics warp yet on the  xbox edition?  Time warp is easy and works fine but when you are doing a burn you need physics warp or else you could be waiting 20 minutes for a nuclear engine burn to complete.

There's a few questions above asking but no answer.  It must be in the game its fundamental.

Thanks.

Is getting ksp a good idea for a beginner who has been watching ksp videos and tutorials for 9 months but has only played about 8~ hours at a friends house on the PC butbdoesnt have a computor good enoigh to handle ksp but has a xbox

I really love ksp and homestly dont like the keyboard controls and have never played many computor games. I want tonget ksp on console but iv heard that the learning curve is steeper than a  a wall and has many bugs and aweful controls. So do you think I should get ksp?(also im 12 so i have a pretty high neuroplasticity sommybe that can help with the learning curve? Idk)

2 hours ago, Reactive Xenon said:

Is getting ksp a good idea for a beginner who has been watching ksp videos and tutorials for 9 months but has only played about 8~ hours at a friends house on the PC butbdoesnt have a computor good enoigh to handle ksp but has a xbox

You've waited 9 months, in my opinion I think you should wait at least 1 more. I suggest waiting only because the newly re-released Xbox version seems to be suffering from some control scheme problems, a lack of information about some of the controls and features, and some not insignificant bugs. Waiting 1 month should be long enough to provide a better idea about how much and how quickly these issues will be resolved.

You could jump in now and discover that some of these issues make it harder to get started, or you could find that you'll have a great time despite the issues. I think having realistic expectations is important, and by being aware of the issues you can then decide if and when the right time to get started might be.

If the issues are reasonably and adequately resolved, I believe that very few people who have as much interest as you would regret purchasing KSP.

Edited by Mako

Controls are definately way better but have some issues:

I NEED the original (cursor) flight controls to navigate my vessels.  I want slow even incremental trim control.  I need it for level flight.  The trim controls seem broken in every scheme.  It worked well in the original.  I really want incremetal throttle to be default and full thottle to require a modifer button in Radial mode as well as cursor.  From what I've read most people agree with me. 

Radial seemed PERFECT, except the reversed incremental and full throttle controls... and the super sensitive trim that all schemes share...   I have to believe some sadist did this on their last day of work...

Only noticed one issue using Simplified controls... the time warp in the Tracking Station is really easy to control but... um... the DIALOG is BLOCKING the thing I'm manipulating!!!  Time out!  Put it in the corner please, lol.

Bringing up the Part Action window is exactly as difficult as ever, having to multiply mash whichever button is assigned to activate it in flight... seems like something with the core game, like it's not polling for it it most of the time... so identical to before I forgot about it until playing...  

(For players reading this, switching control schemes will almost always restore controls after the 'sudden loss of vessel control' bug)   

I finally lost my main save when trying to launch a rediculously huge shuttle that I'd been modifying, in a game running for several hours.

I had 3 missions enroute to Jool and a fleet around Kerbin and Minmus slowing the game to the point of 'buffering' for a few hours before then, intentionally testing it's limits at the time... the game locked on an almost-loaded lauchpad screen, with all the numbers displaying nines.  I knew lost saves were caused by quitting without exiting (never lost one before)... but it was frozen for 5 minutes... I hoped for the best and shut it down to the home screen...

On reloading all the non-stock vehicles are gone from the SPH and VAB.  All my missions are still out there, but the VAB and SPH are basically inert. Save Craft, New Craft and Lauch are permanantly greyed out.  All my quicksaves within that game are gone except 'quicksave' and 'persistent'  ;.;

I was pushing it to the limit with Jool missions, commnets and massive builds, so I'm not surprised it crashed, but I really wish there was an export or backup feature for the main saves...I sound like broken record... can't they encrypt saves or something so the console lawyers will let us have back ups? 

'Buffering' 

Once I have more than a few vessels simulating long trips (3 or 4 missions to jool should reproduce it, after they escape Kerbin), the game will start freezing every 5-15 seconds (CPU load I guess), but so far the game itself keeps perfect time, no numbers get fudged, and nothing changes vectors or anything.  I don't consider freezing under HIGH load an issue, it is a console after all...

One issue: At times when 'buffering' I'd experience a loss of all vessel control.  This was solved by switching the control scheme.  Once the game completely locked up during flight.  Waiting and pushing the 'home button' brought up the pause menu and the game continued as normal.

THANK YOU PRIVATE DIVISION!  (and Squad of course!!!) Still my most favorite game and part of the reason I bought an Xbox!

Edited by Hermitor

If you mean during flight

19 hours ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Anyone have an answer to how to get out of edit staging mode

I can tell you just keep tapping B until it finally comes out.

While I'm here has anybody discovered a way of fine tuning your manoeuvre notes, as I keep over shooting with my target

Edited by Broke dead dogg

The Dev notes don't seem too promising for a patch anytime soon.

"In other news, we continue to compile all the feedback and reports we are getting regarding Kerbal Space Program Enhanced Edition. As these reports come in, the QA team tries to reproduce them, according to the description that the players provide. The successful reproduction of a bug allows us to identify a bug/issue with precision and consequently to work on solutions. This is why making reports properly is a great way to help us fix any bugs promptly and efficiently. "

Andy to devs - 'so what have you been doing this week?'

Devs - 'Well, getting ready for the launch of "Making History"....

Andy - 'Whoa, Whoa I mean with regards to the console version you just launched for us non-pc players

Devs - 'oh, well i mean...weve got a list of bugs, but really we cant fix these bugs until you fill out our bug report'

Andy - '...couldnt YOU also play the game and note down the bugs?'

Devs - 'oh no no ..."making history" is being released soon so were over there getting that done, no no if you want a working console version you are going to have to work for it'

Andy - 'But we've already paid for it'

Devs - 'yes, and we gave you a game'

Andy - 'But it doesnt work'

Devs - 'ahem, where on the xbox store does it say 'works fully'? it doesnt.

Andy - 'so to summarise, since release of Enhanced Edition you have dusted ya hands off declared "job done" and are off working on the PC release?'

Devs - 'yes but the bugs are being dealt with...i mean there a post-it note on my desk and everything!'

Andy - 'When can we expect a patch?'

Devs - 'yes...'

Andy- 'What?'

Devs - ....

Andy - ....

Devs - 'yes...yes you can expect a patch...'

So i finely got chance to have a proper play this weekend, and these are the impressions I got.

Control in that VAB imo are near perfect, I've spent a good hour or more building a complete minimus surface base with landing capabilities with little to no problems, my one criticism is with the move tool: surely the control (in radial) should be up/down= up/down and left/right= left/right with a modifier to make up/down=in/out, but no, u/d=L/R and L/R=U/D confusing.

The flight controls are complex but I'm getting used to them but a full list of controls would be useful, so far I've experienced the control freeze once.

The map view is ok,but Darn it we need fine tuning on the manoeuvre nodes!

And finally, who's bright idea was it to disable physics time warp during burns?! You realise Squad/blitworks that this little brainwave will limit a lot of players to kerbing and it's moons as very few would want to sit through double figure burns.

I've noticed alot of other players complaining about bugs, maybe I'm just lucky so far as I've only encountered the one but we will see

18 minutes ago, Deddly said:

@AndyChilly, you say "devs" but which devs are you referring to? The devs at Squad and the devs at Blitworks are two different teams working on two different things.

Both? Am i wrong in thinking that  Squad Devs are receiving the bug reports, replicating them and sending them onto BW to fix?

Is this part of the problem 2 different teams so one cant crack on without the other? should we be going straight to Blitsworks with bugs?

Tomorrow we are two weeks since release and the only info we have is 'we have a list of bugs but can only fix stuff if the consumer pulls their finger out and provides a detailed report on the bugs'

Squad Dev notes have a fantastic way or appearing transparent but remaining opaque about the situation. I know its a smaller team than AAA titles but just something along the lines of 'quite a few bugs, we've picked out the biggest game affecting ones and will get a quick patch out to you by next week and keep you up to date with following patches until weve got this right!'

But i'm back to wondering do we start to have a fix in a few weeks or do we have a fix in 18 months? its seriously disheartening as i supported the game fully with the flying tiger port....provided work arounds  for people and told people to have faith and that we will get the game we are owed....I was so excited when EE was released and I finally felt like my patience had been rewarded and now im back to where I was. checking the Kerbal Forums and Dev notes for news on when i can confidently play this game without the game breaking.

im tired, im heartbroken and i feel like an idiot as ive been pushing the KSP:EE facebook group to people and persuading people to buy the game on release as it would be relatively bug free.

BTW i'm also melodramatic. but that comes with having twin baby girls.