Kerbal Space Program Enhanced Edition Grand Discussion thread

UomoCapra

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Squad!

I've been a PC player since back before career mode came out, and just downloaded KSP Enhanced Edition so I could go through it with a friend who doesn't have a gaming PC.  I would like to make an impassioned plea to include some rudimentary form of KER as stock for the console version so we can have some method of determining Delta V.  Without the ability to download mods, this game seems unplayable past the early phases without a builtin method of calculating DV and TWR.

I've read the history of the decision to not include DV in stock (with the goal of not overwhelming new players with too many numbers) but I think its a bigger turnoff to find out there is a number critical to knowing whether you can successfully complete your mission but you have to calculate it manually on the console edition.  I would rather have a buggy DV calculator ingame than have to sit there with my laptop calculating it for each stage of a 5 stage rocket manually.  I encourage new players to get to orbit and visit the mun via trial and error, but I don't have the type of time in my life to use trial and error to figure out whether I can get to and safely return from Jool's moons.  If it's necessary for me to play KSPEE on my xbox with KSP running on my laptop just to get DV numbers, then that seems like a punishment rather than a feature.

Great game, I am thoroughly addicted, but can we just get some sort of DV calculator built into stock even if its only for KSPEE?

1 hour ago, SuicideBurned said:

I don't have the type of time in my life to use trial and error to figure out whether I can get to and safely return from Jool's moons.

Not to undermine the validity of your legitimate suggestion (I remember being indignant at this missing feature), but it's fairly easy to estimate delta V without mods. To sum up:

Suppose you've got a payload or upper stage with total mass M, easily found via the stock Engineer's Report. Look through the fuel tanks for one or a combination that also have a mass of approximately M. Now find an engine or combination of engines with thrust of M (in tons) * 30 (9.81 * 2 * 1.5). Combine them all (with a decoupler, of course), and this newest stage has a delta V of about 2000 m/s and a TWR around 1.5. Repeat the process to add as many 2000 m/s blocks as you need.

May this technique aid your Xbox adventures until this feature can be added!

8 hours ago, PrvDancer85 said:

That sounds like squad is planning to implement some sort of feature that does dv calculations, do they? That would be pretty awesome

As far as I know there are no such specific plans. I was just expressing my hope that there someday might be.

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody,

I have a few quick questions and I apologize if they have been answered elsewhere, but I am new to the forums. I have been away from KSP for awhile but have been getting back into it recently. I purchased the 0.25.0 issue back in 2014. I would like to upgrade to the latest versions.

Is the Enhanced Edition a totally new version or an upgrade to the existing KSP? Does it include Dressed For Success? I have not seen either in the KSP store. I would like to get a direct download as I have never used Steam.

Do I need to by a newer version of KSP or can I upgrade the 0.25.0 version I have?

Thanks for answering my questions.

@Bill.I.Am56 - The Enhanced Edition is simply the console version of KSP.

Since you bought KSP 0.25.0 back in 2014, I presume this means you actually have the mainstream PC version. In that case, you can download the latest version of the game for free after signing in to your account on the KSP Store website.

• 2 months later...
On 9/10/2018 at 3:41 PM, SuicideBurned said:

Hey Squad!

I've been a PC player since back before career mode came out, and just downloaded KSP Enhanced Edition so I could go through it with a friend who doesn't have a gaming PC.  I would like to make an impassioned plea to include some rudimentary form of KER as stock for the console version so we can have some method of determining Delta V.  Without the ability to download mods, this game seems unplayable past the early phases without a builtin method of calculating DV and TWR.

I've read the history of the decision to not include DV in stock (with the goal of not overwhelming new players with too many numbers) but I think its a bigger turnoff to find out there is a number critical to knowing whether you can successfully complete your mission but you have to calculate it manually on the console edition.  I would rather have a buggy DV calculator ingame than have to sit there with my laptop calculating it for each stage of a 5 stage rocket manually.  I encourage new players to get to orbit and visit the mun via trial and error, but I don't have the type of time in my life to use trial and error to figure out whether I can get to and safely return from Jool's moons.  If it's necessary for me to play KSPEE on my xbox with KSP running on my laptop just to get DV numbers, then that seems like a punishment rather than a feature.

Great game, I am thoroughly addicted, but can we just get some sort of DV calculator built into stock even if its only for KSPEE?

you mean.. you dont completely guess on how much gas you need?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad that we're getting some news about KSP EE, but I'm just a bit worried about the Mun launch site. Isn't the Mun supposed to be like an early game achievement? You've finally been able to get a rocket to there and either orbit, flyby, or land? Having a launch site on the Mun would basically just seem cheaty. Sure, you can use the debug/cheats menu (but it disables achievements, which I think is a fair tradeoff) to get to a different location, but just having the option of a Mun launchsite is a bit gimmicky (I don't know how else to put it). Hopefully there will be an option to toggle the launchsite on and off or disable it completely, It'll be interesting to see what happens when this update gets released

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

Console EE is not getting Making History, they are getting:

The History and Parts Pack

Which does not include the mission builder. 

It's basically Making History, isn't it? Just without the Mission Builder?

19 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

It's basically Making History, isn't it? Just without the Mission Builder?

But it's not called Making History.  That might mislead some into thinking it's the same DLC released for PC. 

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

But it's not called Making History.  That might mislead some into thinking it's the same DLC released for PC. 

Oh. But it contains the MH parts and features (except the Mission Builder), so it's kinda the same thing?

Update got delayed, but that's alright. I'm happy with what SQUAD is doing for console players, and it gives them time to work on fixing bugs and issues and release a clean update rather than put out a second patch to fix large numbers of problems. Keep up the great work @SQUAD!

This better be interesting, and strong enough to hold itself against some 10k Tons Behemoth with smooth fps, smoother than 1.6 perhaps (haven't tried 1.6)

• 2 months later...