Computer Upgrade for KSP - please help!

hypervelocity

thanks guys! Although I did update my PC a year ago (I'm sporting an i9 9990k @ 5ghz, RTX 2080 TI & 64gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz), the single most game-changing event in terms of performance was the switch to KSP 1.8 and onwards. The changes introduced to Unity really are game changers, I now have a 100+ mod install that boots up in a lightning-fast 2.5 minutes and framerates do not go below 60 even with 200+ parts ships.

I feel like after 5 years of struggle I have now finally constructed a KSP install with the mods I like that is actually playable. 

@Jansn67 - 4790k @ 4.6ghz and getting 1.225V on the Vcore? I think you can turn that up a notch if you are good temperature-wise. Push it to 4.9-5ghz and make sure you stay below 1.42V. If you are below 80C° on full load you are safe! I was getting 1.4V on my i9 but last week Aorus Z390 Elite Bios was updated and now I don't go over 1.27 @ 5ghz - simply a beast!

Edited by hypervelocity

On 3/29/2020 at 3:00 PM, hypervelocity said:

@Jansn67 - 4790k @ 4.6ghz and getting 1.225V on the Vcore? I think you can turn that up a notch if you are good temperature-wise. Push it to 4.9-5ghz and make sure you stay below 1.42V. If you are below 80C° on full load you are safe! I was getting 1.4V on my i9 but last week Aorus Z390 Elite Bios was updated and now I don't go over 1.27 @ 5ghz - simply a beast!

Does the i9 push performance up from an i4790?
Specially Scene-changes..!!?
Usually ppl say KSP is less CPU-intensive...
(Maybe they mean pure vanilla..)

-----
Generally i am still satisfied with my 4790k.
(Since years, since KSP, i dont play other games :-) )
It also want get higher than 4.6, indepentet from Vcore
-> always unstable, infrequently freezes and restarts.
So i kept that prudence settings.

Also my Noctua NH-12 run into heat with low-noise-settings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.