[1.12.5] Grannus Expansion Pack [v1.2.8] [10 May 2022]

OhioBob

3 hours ago, eddiew said:

Do you happen to know if this will work in a 1.3 game? I haven't gotten round to updating my mod list yet (and I sort of prefer not to except for the big things like GPP/GEP...)

I haven tested it in 1.3, but I did some limited testing in 1.3.1.  It should work, but not with an old version of GPP.  If you want to use GEP and GPP together, GEP 1.0.0.0 must be matched to GPP 1.6.3.0 or else it will fail.  I pretty certain the (Stock + GEP) and (GEP_Primary) options both work in 1.3.1.

Edited by OhioBob

50 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Ahh, ok cheers. Looks like GPP is aimed squarely at 1.4.x now... Might be time to upgrade :blush:

I second this motion. (Yeah, it's time to upgrade... I can still hold out and play on 1.3, but GPP, GEP, Sigma's mods and Pathfinder are practically all that will make me move to 1.4, and they have moved to 1.4, so... )

I could possibly spare the effort to test GPP 1.6.3 and GEP 1.0 in KSP 1.3.x myself but that's likely leading to a load of troubleshooting I want to avoid.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

The following is what happens when GEP, GPP and OPM are installed in the following combinations

GEP --->  Grannus and the GEP planets are added as a secondary solar system orbiting the stock solar system.

OPM --->  The OPM planets are added to the stock solar system.

GEP + OPM --->  The OPM planets are added to the stock solar system.  Grannus and the GEP planets are added as a secondary solar system orbiting the stock solar system.

GPP --->  The stock solar system is replaced by the GPP solar system, with Ciro the new sun and Gael the new home world.  Grannus is added as a secondary star orbiting Ciro, but it has no planets.

GPP + GEP --->  The stock solar system is replaced by the GPP solar system, with Ciro the new sun and Gael the new home world.  Grannus and the GEP planets are added as a secondary solar system orbiting the GPP solar system.

GPP + OPM --->  The stock solar system is replaced by the GPP solar system, with Ciro the new sun and Gael the new home world.  Grannus is added a secondary solar system, orbited by the OPM planets.

GPP + GEP + OPM --->  The stock solar system is replaced by the GPP solar system, with Ciro the new sun and Gael the new home world.  Grannus and the GEP planets are added as a secondary solar system orbiting the GPP solar system.  Robau's Star and the OPM planets are added as a third solar system.

GPP + GPP_Secondary --->  Ciro and the GPP planets are added as a secondary solar system orbiting the stock solar system.  Grannus is added as a tertiary star orbiting Ciro, but it has no planets

GPP + GPP_Secondary + GEP --->  Ciro and the GPP planets are added as a secondary solar system orbiting the stock solar system.  Grannus and the GEP planets are added as a tertiary solar system orbiting the GPP solar system.

GPP + GPP_Secondary + OPM --->  The OPM planets are added to the stock solar system.  Ciro and the GPP planets are added as a secondary solar system orbiting the stock solar system.  Grannus is added as a tertiary star orbiting Ciro, but it has no planets

GPP + GPP_Secondary + GEP + OPM --->  The OPM planets are added to the stock solar system.  Ciro and the GPP planets are added as a secondary solar system orbiting the stock solar system.  Grannus and the GEP planets are added as a tertiary solar system orbiting the GPP solar system.

GEP + GEP_Primary --->  The stock solar system is replaced by the GEP solar system, with Grannus the new sun and Nodens the new home world.

GEP + GEP_Primary + OPM --->  The stock solar system is replaced by the GEP solar system, with Grannus the new sun and Nodens the new home world.  The OPM planets are added to the GEP solar system.

GEP + GEP_Primary + GPP --->  FAIL.  (Both systems load as primary, overlapping each other and creating a mess.)

GEP + GEP_Primary + GPP + GPP_Secondary --->  The stock solar system is replaced by the GEP solar system, with Grannus the new sun and Nodens the new home world.  Ciro and the GPP planets are added as a secondary solar system orbiting the GEP solar system.

GEP + GEP_Primary + GPP + GPP_Secondary + OPM --->  The stock solar system is replaced by the GEP solar system, with Grannus the new sun and Nodens the new home world.  The OPM planets are added to the GEP solar system.  Ciro and the GPP planets are added as a secondary solar system orbiting the GEP solar system.

17 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I could possibly spare the effort to test GPP 1.6.3 and GEP 1.0 in KSP 1.3.x myself but that's likely leading to a load of troubleshooting I want to avoid.

I agree.  I'm just not too keen on providing support for any outdated versions.  I don't like spending time on something we've moved beyond.

Ok, so I have a quick question... how do I know which planet packs are compatible with each other? The system I'm building, ideally, I'd want to make it to where I can play it with Stock + OPM + GPP_Secondary + Nohochacyum? What would make my planet pack incompatible besides the obvious orbit?

Currently, I only have Stock + OPM + Nohochacyum?

Edited by adsii1970

20 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Ok, so I have a quick question... how do I know which planet packs are compatible with each other? The system I'm building, ideally, I'd want to make it to where I can play it with Stock + OPM + GPP_Secondary + Nohochacyum? What would make my planet pack incompatible besides the obvious orbit?

Currently, I only have Stock + OPM + Nohochacyum?

Refresh my memory, Nohochacyum is a star with its own planets, correct?  Since it works with the stock solar system, I assume the reference body in its orbit node is "Sun".  In that case, it should work with any planet pack that has a star named "Sun".  (I'm talking about the internal name, not the display name.)  For instance, with GEP_Primary the internal name of Grannus is "Sun" (Grannus is just the display name).  So an installation of GEP + GEP_Primary + Nohochacyum should work.  In that case Nohochacyum should orbit "Sun", i.e. Grannus, as a secondary star system.

With GPP, Ciro's internal name is "Sun".  So GPP + Nohochacyum should also work, with Nohochacyum orbiting Ciro.  You just have make sure that Nohochacyum's orbit doesn't get in the way of any other stars, or planets orbiting those stars.

Edited by OhioBob

@OhioBob: Yes, that's correct. Earlier this morning I began the process of reworking the light curves and was refreshing my memory on how it had to be done in the old message we tossed around. This thread popped up in the notifications tab and I've read it, too. It has a few rocky worlds and a gas giant with a few moons. Or it will have when I've finished it.

Ok, but I am going to be running GPP as a secondary, keeping the stock solar system + OPM, then adding the GPP as a secondary system once I get Nohochacyum done. I was just making sure that the orbits was the only thing I need to worry about.

44 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Ok, but I am going to be running GPP as a secondary, keeping the stock solar system + OPM, then adding the GPP as a secondary system once I get Nohochacyum done. I was just making sure that the orbits was the only thing I need to worry about.

With Stock + GPP_Secondary, the internal names of the stars are Sun (Kerbol) and Ciro.  So as long as referenceBody = Sun, Nohochacyum will orbit Kerbol.

You really just have to look at the configs of the planet pack you want to install it with and see what the "name" parameter is for the different bodies.  Then you can make your planet pack fit in accordingly.  In some cases you might have to use NEEDS conditions to account for different scenarios.

With GEP I really only considered installing it with Stock, GPP and OPM.  That's because those mods are in many ways under the same umbrella (it's the same group of devs that are responsible for all three).  But I'm sure there are other planet packs that GEP will also work with.  As long as there's a "Sun", Grannus should orbit it.  I just haven't tested GEP with anything else.

Edited by OhioBob

3 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

With GEP I really only considered installing it with Stock, GPP and OPM.  That's because those mods are in many ways under the same umbrella (it's the same group of devs that are responsible for all three).  But I'm sure there are other planet packs that GEP will also work with.  As longer as there's a "Sun", Grannus should orbit it.  I just haven't tested GEP with anything else.

Thanks for the head's up. In the future, when I get this system *cough couch* finished, could I get help making sure it'll work? I don't want to release something that blows up the computers of others. :) 

10 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I don't want to release something that blows up the computers of others

Hah! We strive for more. Computers be damned. (KSS is a mass murderer) Anyway, back on topic. This mod is lovely and well done! Keep doing what you do, @OhioBob! However, the pictures for the OP don't seem to exist. Are they there, or did my computer just decide to not load them?:P 

Edited by Gyrfalcon5

11 minutes ago, Gyrfalcon5 said:

However, the pictures for the OP don't seem to exist.

There has only ever been one picture there, the GEP banner. Scroll down a bit and you'll see an image strip of all the GEP bodies.

On 5/10/2018 at 7:13 PM, OhioBob said:

The following is what happens when GEP, GPP and OPM are installed in the following combinations

thank you for that nice comprehensive list, appreciate it.

Some of those combinations sound so tempting now, but I bet they are also super taxing on resources. Anybody here has any experience with GPP + GPP_Secondary + GEP or something crazy like this??

@Dafni Everyone's PC is different. Also is everyone's patience for low framerate, and everyone's determination to get a certain mod combination (by size) to run on a PC regardless of the performance or increased threat of bugs and crashes. This is the kind of question you'll only get the best answer to by trying this out for yourself. :) 

As a head-start, I recommend you have 12GB of RAM and a decent quad-core with very high speed. KSP does not take advantage of high numbers of CPU cores, of course.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

5 hours ago, Dafni said:

Some of those combinations sound so tempting now, but I bet they are also super taxing on resources. Anybody here has any experience with GPP + GPP_Secondary + GEP or something crazy like this??

Like JadeOMaar said, you probably need to just try it out and see if your computer can handle it.  I've never had any problem with all three planet packs installed, but then I have 32GB of RAM and a pretty good graphics card.  Lesser computers might struggle, but I have no idea where the limit lies.  I use to have just 8GB and I couldn't run GPP by itself unless I uninstalled all the visual mods.  So maybe it will come down compromises.  Perhaps you can run all three planets packs but only without EVE or scatterer.  Or perhaps you can use EVE and scatterer but with only one planet pack installed.  You'll just have to figure out what's most important to you and what your computer can handle.  It doesn't do any harm to experiment.

Edited by OhioBob

@JadeOfMaar and @OhioBob, okay, I hear you guys. Cheers. I'll dive right in and see how I like it.

My hardware is pretty beefy too I believe, less than a year old (8th gen i7, 32GB RAM, fast SSD, 1080Ti), but as we all know sometimes the limit is KSP itself. And yeah, agree, how much anyone is willing to take, FPS wise etc might vary A LOT from person to person.

Now that 1.4.3 is around and maybe even stays for a while, I might just give it a try and built a new install. I only ran big planet packs on 1.3.1 so far. And never more than one.

1.3.1 is super stable for me, with GPP or SSRSS. Only some micro stutters here and there. Now I have just been a bit hesitant to upgrade to 1.4 for a few reasons. Those hideous reentry effects not being the least of them. But i have to say a binary or even tertiary star system might help me to take the plunge finally.

thanks again for your input guys

Edited by Dafni

@Dafni, with those specs, I doubt you'll have a problem.  You've got a beefy rig than I do, and I haven't experienced any problems.  Of course I don't run many part packs, etc.  I usually don't have more than about 30-35 mods installed.

UPDATE

Version 1.0.0.1

Changelog

• Fixed a bug in Nodens' scatterer configs.
  • Revised delta-v tables (interplanetary transfer orbits).
  • Alters orbits of OPM planets when installed with GEP_Primary.

See opening post for download link and instructions.

Just a note to say I finally arrived at Grannus in my 2.5x GPP/GEP career.  Got some pretty pictures doing orbital insertion burns around the star itself, then around Nodens.

Vxby3ol.png

7VTZ5DX.png

Next up is the Karborundum torch drive-powered mothership with a live crew.  Six years or so ought to do it. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2018 at 1:25 AM, Norcalplanner said:

Just a note to say I finally arrived at Grannus in my 2.5x GPP/GEP career.  Got some pretty pictures doing orbital insertion burns around the star itself, then around Nodens.

Vxby3ol.png

7VTZ5DX.png

Next up is the Karborundum torch drive-powered mothership with a live crew.  Six years or so ought to do it. :cool:

Is this in 1.4x? If so, glad to hear Rescale! also works with GEP. Gotta add it in with my mission report save to "spice up" the later stages of the game

Edited by Steeeeve

2 hours ago, Steeeeve said:

Is this in 1.4x? If so, glad to hear Rescale! also works with GEP. Gotta add it in with my mission report save to "spice up" the later stages of the game

I believe that's (still) in 1.3.x, but Rescale works fine. It's just the Rescale configs need updating to cover the little things (visual issues).

15 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I believe that's (still) in 1.3.x, but Rescale works fine. It's just the Rescale configs need updating to cover the little things (visual issues).

Yep, still in 1.3.1 for this career, which may not be much longer for this world...

Had a kraken attack on the mothership resulting in a RUD. Was able to restore to a save with only minor misalignment of parts, but the Karborundum torch drives don't gimbal. The insertion burns may or may not be controllable. :/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.