[1.12.5] Grannus Expansion Pack [v1.2.8] [10 May 2022]

OhioBob

18 hours ago, OhioBob said:

I've never actually traveled to Grannus when installed as a secondary system.  I just never got that far when playing GPP+GEP.  The only times I've explored the Grannus system was with it installed as primary.  I think it's a pretty fun system to play that way - different than most other things I've played.

I'm playing a pretty extensive mod list as well so it is going to be an intense challenge. I think the most difficult aspect will be the fact that RemoteTech is installed so I wonder how many remote command stations I'll need between GSP and the GEP system!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2022 at 10:58 PM, OhioBob said:

I've never actually traveled to Grannus when installed as a secondary system.  I just never got that far when playing GPP+GEP.  The only times I've explored the Grannus system was with it installed as primary.  I think it's a pretty fun system to play that way - different than most other things I've played.

After my Grannus primary run a couple years back I did a playthrough as secondary and it absolutely delivers just as well. I had never played with other star systems before but there really is no feeling like pushing the partcount limits to get a gargantuan ship across interstellar space to Nodens. Makes me thrilled for KSP2.

2 hours ago, darwinpatrick said:

After my Grannus primary run a couple years back I did a playthrough as secondary and it absolutely delivers just as well. I had never played with other star systems before but there really is no feeling like pushing the partcount limits to get a gargantuan ship across interstellar space to Nodens. Makes me thrilled for KSP2.

I'm planning a big cosmetic update to GEP.  GEP was done years ago, and they were the first planets I had ever done.  So it's time to give them a makeover.

Strictly cosmetic, or will the nature of the planets themselves change at all? I recall a discussion when Toutatis was added about how prevailing sun-to-shade surface winds might produce vast barchan dunes and even carve sweeping canyons...

48 minutes ago, darwinpatrick said:

Strictly cosmetic, or will the nature of the planets themselves change at all? I recall a discussion when Toutatis was added about how prevailing sun-to-shade surface winds might produce vast barchan dunes and even carve sweeping canyons...

Physics-wise nothing will change (orbit, size, gravity, etc.), but there will definitely be changes to the planets' terrain and appearance.  I haven't forgotten about the Toutatis discussion, but I'm not sure yet if that will be something I'll try to implement or not.  I haven't really thought much about the added bodies, I've mainly been thinking about the original bodies and how much I can improve them.  The added ones are probably not going to change much.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rdwulfe said:

Does this mod still have issues with recent versions of Scatterer? Having issues installing it w/ CKAN

GEP has not been updated for any of the scatterer 0.08+ versions.  Whether or not there are any issues when using recent versions of Scatterer, I don't know.  I haven't done any testing since the first 0.08+ version was released.

On 6/7/2022 at 11:10 PM, OhioBob said:

GEP has not been updated for any of the scatterer 0.08+ versions.  Whether or not there are any issues when using recent versions of Scatterer, I don't know.  I haven't done any testing since the first 0.08+ version was released.

Thanks Bob! I've managed to use it with the most recent versions, it just complains through CKAN and I have to install GEP manually. Looks beautiful from afar, through Distant Object Enhancement and CactEye. 

Can't wait to send a craft out that way, it's my current goal. Grannus, viewed by telescope. :D

ecaJQ1V.png

Edited by rdwulfe

• 2 weeks later...

As I explore the Epona system, I'm currently running into a problem.

How do you pronounce "RAB-58E"?

The full name is somewhat hard to say, so I've always called it "Rab" in my head, but I'm curious to see what other people think about this.

Although it's a mouthfull, I usually pronounce it by simply reading off all the letters and numbers...  "R, A, B, fifty-eight, E".

Here's some trivia for you...  RAB-58E is actually named after me.  RAB are my initials, 58 is my birth year (yes, I'm old), and E (the 5th letter) refers to the month of my birth (May, the 5th month).

Edited by OhioBob

Wow, I never would have guessed that! "RAB-58E" looks so much like a normal asteroid name that I never really thought about whether it meant anything.

I did notice that the last character is a letter, distinguishing it from KSP's random asteroid names. Is this distinction the reason the name isn't "RAB-585"?

27 minutes ago, Leganeski said:

I did notice that the last character is a letter, distinguishing it from KSP's random asteroid names. Is this distinction the reason the name isn't "RAB-585"?

No, I did it that way because the real life asteroid designations use a letter to indicate the month of discovery.  However, in real life it is by half months, so 24 letters are used (I and Z are excluded).  I was born in the second half of May, so that is represented by the letter K.  Therefore, if an asteroid were discovered on the day of my birth, the first part of its designation would be 1958 K.  The next letter of the designation represents the sequence of discovery during that period.  For example, the fourth asteroid discovered during the second half of May 1958 would have the full designation 1958 KD.  25 letters are used to indicate the sequence (I is excluded because it can be confused for the number 1).  If more than 25 asteroids are discovered in a period, we cycle back to the beginning and add a number at the end to indicate how many times we've cycled through the letters.  So suppose we are the 29th asteroid discovered that period (asteroids weren't being discoverd at that rate back in 1958, but humor me).  We cycle back to the letter D, but now the designation becomes 1958 KD1.

I use RAB-58E because it looks like a Kerbal designation, but the 58E is also a simplified version of the real life naming system.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

I don't know.

Problem is 100% related to gep, seems like interfering with Kerbin and only Kerbin while try to perform this science. If you have time try to investigate this.

I am doing investigation with 2 other people too.

Edited by Syczek

7 hours ago, Syczek said:

Problem is 100% related to gep, seems like interfering with Kerbin and only Kerbin while try to perform this science. If you have time try to investigate this.

I really don't understand what the problem is.  You're going to have to describe it in more detail.

9 hours ago, OhioBob said:

I really don't understand what the problem is.  You're going to have to describe it in more detail.

Whenever GEP is in presence, eva science kit used on planet with atmosphere(either stock and gep),says this experiment cannot be performed now, what is more curious it works on no atmosphere planets.Testing now what may be a cause

Edit,I found perpetrator its HeatShifter included in Gep folder(GEP_Plugins\HeatShifter exact location of it),u may wanna remove that thing

Edited by Syczek

6 hours ago, Syczek said:

Whenever GEP is in presence, eva science kit used on planet with atmosphere(either stock and gep),says this experiment cannot be performed now, what is more curious it works on no atmosphere planets.Testing now what may be a cause

What is "eva science kit"?  Are you referring to the deployable science parts that came with Breaking Ground?

8 hours ago, Syczek said:

I found perpetrator its HeatShifter included in Gep folder(GEP_Plugins\HeatShifter exact location of it),u may wanna remove that thing

Unfortunately, if I understand it correctly, HeatShifter is an important part of GEP, and required for the atmosphere of Toutatis to work properly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.