[1.12.5] Grannus Expansion Pack [v1.2.8] [10 May 2022]

OhioBob

FYW1iTU.jpg

Grannus Expansion Pack (GEP) is an planet pack that turns a single star system into a binary system by adding the red dwarf star Grannus, along with its family of five major planets, two dwarf planets, and seven moons.

GEP is designed to provide several installation options.  It can be added to the stock solar system, Galileo's Planet Pack (GPP), or JNSQ.  It also works in combination with Outer Planets Mod (OPM).  And with the optional add-on GEP_Primary, GEP takes center stage as the primary star system, with the planet Nodens as the home world.

GEP Download (GitHub)

Requirements

• Kopernicus
  • ModularFlightIntegrator
  • Module Manager

Installation Instructions

1.  Begin with an installation of KSP version 1.12.2 or later, running in 64-bit.
  2.  If reusing an existing install, empty the GameData folder of all contents but for the folders "Squad" and (if you own DLCs) "SquadExpansion".  If starting with an entirely new install, it is recommended that you run once with no mods installed before proceeding.
  3.  Download the third party mod Kopernicus.
  4.  Install by copying/merging the GameData folder from the Kopernicus download to your KSP install.
  5.  If installing with Galileo's Planet Pack or JNSQ, it is recommended that you download and install those mods first, and confirm their correct operation before installing GEP. Be sure to carefully follow all the GPP or JNSQ installation instructions.
  6.  Download Grannus Expansion Pack v1.2.8
  7.  Install by copying/merging the GameData folder from the GEP download to your KSP install.

GEP_Primary

GEP_Primary is an optional add-on that turns GEP into a primary star system, with Grannus as the central star and Nodens the home world. If GEP + GEP_Primary is installed in combination with GPP + GPP_Secondary, then GPP is added as a secondary star system orbiting Grannus. GEP_Primary is not recommended for beginner players.

To install GEP_Primary:

1.  Download and install Grannus Expansion Pack per the installation instructions.
  2.  Drill down to [GEP Download]\Optional Mods\GEP_Primary\.
  3.  Copy/merge the GameData folder into your KSP install.
  4.  For implementation of anomalies, download and install Kerbal Konstructs.

GEP_CommNet

GEP_CommNet is an optional add-on that increases communications range by adding a level 4 Tracking Station and a powerful additional antenna. With both upgrades, a line of communication can reach between Grannus and the Sun/Ciro.

To install GEP_CommNet:

1.  Download and install the third party mod Custom Barn Kit.
  2.  Drill down to [GEP Download]\Optional Mods\GEP_CommNet\.
  3.  Copy/merge the GameData folder into your KSP install.

GEP_Rescale

GEP_Rescale is an optional add-on that rescales the GEP solar system to either 2.5x or 10x its normal size. Rescaling is accomplished without the use of Sigma Dimensions (these mods should never be used in combination with Sigma Dimensions). GEP also works with GPP and/or JNSQ using the appropriate GEP, GPP and JNSQ rescale mods to provide size compatibility.

To install GEP_JNSQ:

1.  Download and install Grannus Expansion Pack per the installation instructions.
  2.  Drill down to [GEP Download]\Optional Mods\GEP_Rescale\ and select either Rescale_2.5X or Rescale_10X.
  3.  Copy/merge the selected GameData folder into your KSP install.
  4.  If applicable, download and install GPP and/or JNSQ and the appropriate rescale mods per their instructions.
  5.  Delete the Kopernicus cache, i.e. the *.bin files located within each planet pack's Cache folder.
  6.  It is recommended that for GEP_Primary at 10x scale the DSN modifier in game difficulty be set to 4.

Other Optional Mods

Install the optional mods of your choice by drilling down to [GEP Download]\Optional Mods\GEP_[mod name]\ and then copying/merging the GameData folder into your KSP install.

If using Final Frontier, it must be downloaded and installed separately.

Bundled Mods

Sigma TweakChutes - Changes parachute behavior so that parachutes won't fully deploy unless the minimum pressure for semi-deployment has first been met. Also corrects a bug that allows the deployment pressure to be set below the intended minimum while in flight mode.

Sigma HeatShifter - Required to correctly align minimum and maximum global temperatures to the sun's directional axis for tidally locked atmospheric planets (Toutatis).

Planet Pack Compatibility

GEP works with the stock solar system, Galileo's Planet Pack, Outer Planets Mod, and Minor Planets Expansion in a variety of configurations, both primary and secondary. Orbits are modified as necessary to assure seamless integration.

GEP also works with JNSQ using the optional add-on GEP_Rescale (see instructions above). At present, GEP is the only planet pack known to be rescaled and configured specifically for use alongside JNSQ. 

Recommended mods with support for or by GEP

Known Issues

• PlanetShine works with GEP_Primary only, otherwise disabled.
  • EVE eclipses work with GEP_Primary only, otherwise disabled.
  • SCANsat day-night terminator works with GEP_Primary only, otherwise it is drawn incorrectly.
  • This planet pack is not compatible with Scatterer v0.08+, use v0.0772.

License

This mod is licensed by Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 
CC BY-NC-ND

Special thanks goes to @Galileo, @JadeOfMaar, and @Poodmund for their help and support in the making of this planet pack.
A thankyou also goes to @darwinpatrick for writing the custom science definitions.

Edited by OhioBob

Congratulations on the release, OhioBob. This project has been a labour of love for you over the past months and it really shows the time and dedication you have put into it with a lot of thought and calculated objectiveness. Simply put, it really is great work seeing you come from no experience and a lot of interest to what you have put on display for us all here. :D 

Grannus - Red Dwarf Star

2waifQx.png

Taranis - Planet 1
w8sEHfN.png

Nodens - Planet 2
VrgJgk4.png

Belisama - Moon 1, Nodens

FkrYmq8.png

Sirona - Planet 3
0ph1V2g.png

Airmed - Moon 1, Sirona
FyTzbAZ.png

Brovo - Moon 2, Sirona
3leaoJ8.png

Damona - Moon 3, Sirona
vPpI6oK.png

Epona - Planet 4
lTkhDKG.png

Rosmerta - Moon 1, Epona
iiusZK4.png

RAB-58E, Moon 2, Epona
4FcN2B2.png

Cernunnos - Planet 5
u68XqtK.png

Congrats @OhioBob and Team Galileo for adding more epicness to the already epic Galileo's Planet Pack! Awesome work!

Edited by RocketPCGaming
Added Images

On 1/16/2018 at 12:33 PM, lBoBl said:

Where are the screenshots :) ?

There are there now! Enjoy ;-)

16 hours ago, Pleb said:

Wow this makes the Ciro system huge, especially with OPM installed as well! As soon as I figure out how to build a warp ship that doesn't explode I'll be going to explore! :D

Yes, with GPP, GEP, and OPM installed, it's 3 stars and 55 celestial bodies to visit! 55 Planets/ moons and 3 stars!!!!

3 hours ago, Jeb's Pirotecnics Guy said:

Cool mod

I put it in my hip installation and I love it 

But grannuses gravity is too high for a red dwarf

that makes the innermost planet go 30k/s unlike what it should be around 10-15k/s

We're glad you're enjoying but consider this. Stock Sun's gravity is only 1g and it's way oversized. That's quite a no-no, whereas OhioBob does all his modding based on realism and Pure Math.

The innermost planet, Taranis, is incredibly close to the star, but the star itself is so dim, weak and small that the planet is landable. If the star was as healthy as Sun, Taranis could not even exist.

59 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

We're glad you're enjoying but consider this. Stock Sun's gravity is only 1g and it's way oversized. That's quite a no-no, whereas OhioBob does all his modding based on realism and Pure Math.

The innermost planet, Taranis, is incredibly close to the star, but the star itself is so dim, weak and small that the planet is landable. If the star was as healthy as Sun, Taranis could not even exist.

I understand,

Mod is great, I am happy to know that that is the case

I still don't feel satisfied, so I will lower it in the config files for my own personal use.

7 hours ago, Jeb's Pirotecnics Guy said:

But grannuses gravity is too high for a red dwarf

that makes the innermost planet go 30k/s unlike what it should be around 10-15k/s

Every effort has been may to try to give Grannus lifelike properties.  It is based of the data found here for a type M2V star.

http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~emamajek/EEM_dwarf_UBVIJHK_colors_Teff.txt

Also, if you are looking at surface gravity, that can be very misleading.  Grannus's surface gravity is high because red dwarfs are denser than larger stars.  What's more important is the star's total mass.  Grannus has 50% the mass of Ciro, and about the same compared to Kerbol.  Taranis's orbital speed is so high because I placed it really close to Grannus.  I wanted to make it an extreme challenge for those determined enough to visit it.  It's not meant to be easy.

2 hours ago, Alaygrounds said:

it's really cool, but it doesn't really let me edit the planets much.
I'm kinda making an Alternis Ciro thing for my game so it would help to make it easier to edit.

I don't know what you mean.  GEP is configured to use Kopernicus just like every other planet pack.  It shouldn't be any easier or harder to edit than anything else.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.