[1.12.5] Grannus Expansion Pack [v1.2.8] [10 May 2022]

OhioBob

Can confirm Kronometer changes are working as intended. Dropped in GEP 1.2.2 and Kronometer to a copy of my main save and had no issues in a new save file or an existing one. Apparently the last departure to Sirona kicked off at the start of the 27th Nodens Year. I should point out that the updated Kronometer settings require the use of Kronometer v1.11.0-1. Since my save is in 1.8.1 I  initally went down to Kronometer v1.7.3-1 and that did all sorts of weird things. (The load save option had nothing in a list but starting with a new file with the same name as something that should have been in the load list still gave the "do you wish to overwrite this save with the same name?" warning. Additionally, the KAC UI was could not be interacted with). Pulling v1.7.3-1 and putting in v1.11.0-1 fixed all that.

All the Kronometer testing took place over the last couple days (before 1.2.3 was released), but I did pop 1.2.3 into a blank KSP folder. The new position of Belisama at the start of a month makes a pretty cool scene:

Spoiler

G0jRcrL.png

I did some further testing of Snacks stuff as well (continued from here). Details below:

Spoiler

It appears bringing back the 6 hr day with Kronometer did not up Snacks consumption. My initial expectations were that after 6 hours, 3 snacks would have been consumed with 1 Kerbal sitting in a pod (going off the settings of 1 snack per meal, 3 snacks per day, and the variation option turned off). However, it took 30 hours for just 1 snack to be consumed. This tells me Snacks is pulling its definition of a day from the length of a Solar Day, which (according to the GEP_Bodies.pdf) is 90 hours for Nodens. I find this weird as well, as if Snacks was using orbital parameters in its definition of a day, I would have expected it to grab the length of a rotation period, which is 67.5 hours for Nodens. Going to make a post on the Snacks thread to confirm this. What will likely happen on my end though is to up the number of snacks per meal.

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Interstellar-farmer said:

Has anyone else had the issue that the launchpad/runway won't allow craft over 18 tons when fully upgraded? (using GEP Primery)

This is the first time I've heard of that problem.  It has never happened for me.

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, John007qwe said:

Installed this, but some of the planets aren't looking as in the screenshots.

log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cfmcww24erjuxv/KSP.log?dl=0

Example of Sirona:

I don't see any GEP related errors in the log.  But I do see a bunch of lines like this for the gas giants,

[LOG 18:57:35.325] [Kopernicus] New Jool detected, shaders stripped!

Not sure what that means but it's there for both GEP and OPM.  Are the OPM gas giants working?  If not, then the problem isn't limited to GEP.  Might be a problem somewhere else, like Kopernicus.

You also have nearly 200 mods installed, so there could very easily be a conflict with one of them.  Perhaps one of the visual mods.  If it is a mod conflict, you're going to have help me and figure out which one it is.  I can't possible check GEP to assure compatibility with every conceivable combination of mods that somebody might install.

42 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I don't see any GEP related errors in the log.  But I do see a bunch of lines like this for the gas giants,

[LOG 18:57:35.325] [Kopernicus] New Jool detected, shaders stripped!

Not sure what that means but it's there for both GEP and OPM.  Are the OPM gas giants working?  If not, then the problem isn't limited to GEP.  Might be a problem somewhere else, like Kopernicus.

You also have nearly 200 mods installed, so there could very easily be a conflict with one of them.  Perhaps one of the visual mods.  If it is a mod conflict, you're going to have help me and figure out which one it is.  I can't possible check GEP to assure compatibility with every conceivable combination of mods that somebody might install.

I just checked the OPM gas giants and they look correct and are not white.

I can try to strip down my mod list to see if I can isolate an issue somewhere and if I find something I'll let you know. Chances are the issue is with GEP, since all my other planet packs seem completely fine.

Edit: So I stripped down my modlist to the bare minimum to get the planet pack loaded, and there was no issue. Then I added back in EVE and Scatterer. Still fine. Added the Astronomer Visual Pack, and they became white again. So I guess AVP is somehow the culprit?

Edited by John007qwe

3 hours ago, John007qwe said:

Added the Astronomer Visual Pack, and they became white again. So I guess AVP is somehow the culprit?

I suspected that AVP might be the culprit when I saw it on your mod list.  I never tested GEP with AVP.  In fact, I've never used AVP so I know nothing of how it's configured.  I'll try to take a look at it when I get the chance.  Hopefully it's something simple to fix. 

Edited by OhioBob

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

I suspected that AVP might be the culprit when I saw it on your mod list.  I never tested GEP with AVP.  In fact, I've never used AVP so I know nothing of how it's configured.  I'll try to take a look at it when I get the chance.  Hopefully it's something simple to fix. 

I tried isolating what exactly might be the cause of this from AVP, and what I found is that removing the "AstronomersVisualPack/AVP_Configs/Stock/PQS.cfg" fixes the issue.

The file contains this:

PQS_MANAGER
{
	OBJECT
	{
		body = Jool
		deactivateDistance = 175000
	}
}

I don't know what it does exactly, but it would make sense that it has something to do with Jool, since Sirona is based off of that, yes?

@John007qwe, I don't remember what that file does exactly, but I know it is required for all gas giants.  I see that AVP adds it for Jool as well as the OPM gas giants (AstronomersVisualPack/AVP_Configs/OPM/PQS.cfg).  I also add it in GEP for Sirona.  But this gives me a lead to follow up on.  There could be some little thing in the configs that's causing it not to execute properly.

1 minute ago, OhioBob said:

@John007qwe, I don't remember what that file does exactly, but I know it is required for all gas giants.  I see that AVP adds it for Jool as well as the OPM gas giants (AstronomersVisualPack/AVP_Configs/OPM/PQS.cfg).  I also add it in GEP for Sirona.  But this gives me a lead to follow up on.  There could be some little thing in the configs that's causing it not to execute properly.

The only difference I can find is that the AVP stock PQS has just PQS_MANAGER, whereas yours has @PQS_MANAGER. then again, the OPM also sorta has a @ but with :NEEDS

Could it be the case that GEP PQS file is using the wrong syntax?

Stock:

PQS_MANAGER
{
	OBJECT
	{
		body = Jool
	}
}

OPM:

@PQS_MANAGER:NEEDS[OPM]
{
	OBJECT
	{
		body = Sarnus
	}
	OBJECT
	{
		body = Urlum
	}
	OBJECT
	{
		body = Neidon
	}
}

GEP:

PQS_MANAGER:NEEDS[!GPP,!StockVisualEnhancements,!BoulderCo] {}

@PQS_MANAGER
{
	author = OhioBob
	OBJECT
	{
		body = Sirona
	}
}

@John007qwe, I don't think there is anything wrong with the @PQS_MANAGER part.  It might be that first line in the GEP config.  I don't really remember what the purpose of that is, but I might have to add AVP to the NEEDS.  I haven't had an opportunity to test anything yet, but if you feel up to it, you might give this a try:

PQS_MANAGER:NEEDS[!GPP,!StockVisualEnhancements,!BoulderCo,!AstronomersVisualPack] {}

11 hours ago, OhioBob said:

@John007qwe, I don't think there is anything wrong with the @PQS_MANAGER part.  It might be that first line in the GEP config.  I don't really remember what the purpose of that is, but I might have to add AVP to the NEEDS.  I haven't had an opportunity to test anything yet, but if you feel up to it, you might give this a try:

PQS_MANAGER:NEEDS[!GPP,!StockVisualEnhancements,!BoulderCo,!AstronomersVisualPack] {}

Unfortunately that didn't fix it.

I also noticed that it's only half of the planet that is white. Might give a bit more of an insight into what's going wrong.

a113d3227d.png

Edited by John007qwe

27 minutes ago, John007qwe said:

Unfortunately that didn't fix it.

I just found the problem.  Go ahead and keep the previous change.  While it didn't fix the problem, it does clean some stuff up in the MM Cache.

The real problem is in the file GEP/GEP_Configs/Clouds.cfg.  Make the following change.

Delete this...

EVE_CLOUDS:NEEDS[!GPP,!StockVisualEnhancements,!BoulderCo] {}

@EVE_CLOUDS

And replace with this...

EVE_CLOUDS

If you want to know the details of what the problem was, I explain here:

Spoiler

AVP does something different than other visual mods that I've provided compatibility for.  While other mods have one EVE_CLOUDS node that contains everything, AVP creates multiple EVE_CLOUDS nodes.  It creates one for clouds, another for aurora, another for lighting, etc.  In all it creates six nodes.  So when GEP added its clouds using @EVE_CLOUDS (@ means to change an existing node), it added them into all six of the nodes created by AVP.  This meant that GEP generated its cloud textures six times, all layered one on top of the other.  This completely washed Sirona out into a white ball, but it also affected all GEP clouds.   By removing the @, instead of GEP editing the six AVP nodes, it creates a new node that contains the clouds only one time.  Honestly, I didn't know there could be multiple EVE_CLOUDS nodes.  If I had, I probably would have done things this way from the start.

Edited by OhioBob

31 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I just found the problem.  Go ahead and keep the previous change.  While it didn't fix the problem, it does clean some stuff up in the MM Cache.

The real problem is in the file GEP/GEP_Configs/Clouds.cfg.  Make the following change.

Delete this...

EVE_CLOUDS:NEEDS[!GPP,!StockVisualEnhancements,!BoulderCo] {}

@EVE_CLOUDS

And replace with this...

EVE_CLOUDS

If you want to know the details of what the problem was, I explain here:

Reveal hidden contents

AVP does something different than other visual mods that I've provided compatibility for.  While other mods have one EVE_CLOUDS node that contains everything, AVP creates multiple EVE_CLOUDS nodes.  It creates one for clouds, another for aurora, another for lighting, etc.  In all it creates six nodes.  So when GEP added its clouds using @EVE_CLOUDS (@ means to change an existing node), it added them into all six of the nodes created by AVP.  This meant that GEP generated its cloud textures six times, all layered one on top of the other.  This completely washed Sirona out into a white ball, but it also affected all GEP clouds.   By removing the @, instead of GEP editing the six AVP nodes, it creates a new node that contains the clouds only one time.  Honestly, I didn't know there could be multiple EVE_CLOUDS nodes.  If I had, I probably would have done things this way from the start.

Yup, looks like it's fixed now by replacing those two lines with the one below!

Your explanation makes sense, and I see now what was happening. Thanks for the help!

I'm just wondering about one last thing. My Taranis is a bit more orange compared to the screenshot here. I suppose that's part of scatterer shader or something?

Edit: Ah, nevermind. I see that you changed the color in update 1.0.2. 

• Reworked Taranis' ocean (coastline and color).

4524b21c56.png

Edited by John007qwe

1 minute ago, John007qwe said:

I'm just wondering about one last thing. My Taranis is a bit more orange compared to the screenshot here. I suppose that's part of scatterer shader or something?

The screenshot is outdated.  The issue is that I'm trying to make the color in scaled space match that of the lava texture.  I actually screwed something up with the original lava texture that made it a darker red.  When I fixed the mistake, the texture became a brighter orange, so I changed the scaled space texture to match.  To be honest, I'm not sure I like the brighter orange, so I may try to do something in the future to darken it.  In the meantime, the scaled space texture and the up close lava texture do match pretty closely.  Unfortunately there's a bug in Kopernicus that messes up the transition between the textures (the dev knows about it but I don't think it's been fixed yet).  When transitioning, parts of the lava sea actually turns blue.

4 hours ago, Jebediah Kerman Jr. said:

Is it possible to add GEP to a current instance without messing too much up? I was wondering if I could add it to my OPM career mode game without creating a new instance.

Most likely, but I can't guarantee it.  In a clean install with just OPM, adding GEP shouldn't cause any problems at all.  But I suspect you have other mods install, and that's where things can get messy,  It's impossible to test all possible mod interactions, so one can never be certain what will happen.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Quickspin said:

Does anyone have a delta-v map for GEP/GEP_Primary/GEP_Rescale?

There's a delta-V map included in the GEP folder (GEP_DV-01.png and GEP_DV-02.png).  Unfortunately it's for stock size GEP only, not GEP_Rescale.  But generally speaking, delta-V varies by the square root of the resize factor.  So for 2.5x GEP you should be able to multiply all the numbers by 2.5^0.5 = 1.58 and be very close.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.