[1.12.5] Grannus Expansion Pack [v1.2.8] [10 May 2022]

OhioBob

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

Version 1.0.1.3

Changelog

• Fixed incorrect naming of Nodens in resource configs for GEP_Primary.
  • Increased Sirona's atmosphere to 550 km, added bottom layer of rapidly increasing pressure and temperature.
  • Replaced HazardousOcean with HazardousBody.

10 hours ago, Rover6428 said:

is it compatible with @Gameslinx's After Kerbin planet overhaul???

I know nothing about how After Kerbin is configured, so I can't answer that.  But GEP should be able to be inserted into any system that has a star named "Sun" (internal name, not display name).  As long as there's a star with that name, Grannus should orbit it.  However, that doesn't necessarily assure that GEP will blend nicely with the other planet pack.  If you add it to a system that already has multiple stars, Grannus may just get in the way and interfere with other stars.  It might still function, but it could destroy the aesthetics.  Your best bet it to just try it and see what happens.

4 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I know nothing about how After Kerbin is configured, so I can't answer that.  But GEP should be able to be inserted into any system that has a star named "Sun" (internal name, not display name).  As long as there's a star with that name, Grannus should orbit it.  However, that doesn't necessarily assure that GEP will blend nicely with the other planet pack.  If you add it to a system that already has multiple stars, Grannus may just get in the way and interfere with other stars.  It might still function, but it could destroy the aesthetics.  Your best bet it to just try it and see what happens.

Is there a way to change the orbit body name for Grannus? (It's just that the Sun's new name is Archangel, but otherwise it looks fine.)

Also, while on the topic of hacking a copy of Grannus, is there a way to change the altitude of its orbit. (Archangel is pretty bright)

3 hours ago, Rover 6428 said:

Is there a way to change the orbit body name for Grannus? (It's just that the Sun's new name is Archangel, but otherwise it looks fine.)

Also, while on the topic of hacking a copy of Grannus, is there a way to change the altitude of its orbit. (Archangel is pretty bright)

I suggest not changing anything in the GEP files themselves.  Just make a .cfg file that looks like the following, change the numbers you want to change, and drop it somewhere inside your GameData folder.

Before changing the referenceBody to Archangel, make sure that Archangel is indeed the star's internal name and not just the display name.

Spoiler

@Kopernicus:AFTER[GEP]
{
	@Body[Grannus]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			@referenceBody = Sun
			@inclination = 7
			@eccentricity = 0.4
			@semiMajorAxis = 2000000000000
			@longitudeOfAscendingNode = 130
			@argumentOfPeriapsis = 20
			@meanAnomalyAtEpoch = -0.274
			@epoch = 0
		}
	}
}

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, darwinpatrick said:

I don't know if this has been asked before, but I'm playing GEP Primary starting my hard career on Nodens and as I'm prepping my first Belisama mission I realize that a delta-v map would be very helpful. Does one exist for Nodens as the homeworld?

There's delta-v data included in the download, just look for GEP_deltaV.pdf in the .zip folder.  But it's not in the usual subway style.  A subway map doesn't work well when GEP is installed as a secondary system, because, in that case, there is no defined starting point.  So instead the information is provided in a series of tables.  What you need should be there.

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

There's delta-v data included in the download, just look for GEP_deltaV.pdf in the .zip folder.  But it's not in the usual subway style.  A subway map doesn't work well when GEP is installed as a secondary system, because, in that case, there is no defined starting point.  So instead the information is provided in a series of tables.  What you need should be there.

Great, thanks!

• 3 months later...

UPDATE

Version 1.0.1.4

Changelog

• Updated scatterer configs for v0.0540.  (Not backwards compatible)
  • Updated HazardousBody for Kopernicus 1.6.
  • Deleted Epona clouds.  (Couldn't make it look right)
  • Revised rim and fog color ramps
  • Added support for Kerbal Health.

See opening post for download link and instructions.

And finally I think I figured why gpp kept crashing on me. I have tried all kinds of mods, but having 30+ it was very much trial and error and little hope for my very limited playtime, and logs gave me little to work with. Then I saw that you had added a kerbal health config, and once I removed that mod a couple of tests went fine. I guess that I should have read the fine print about per planet radiation configs.

Anyway, thanks for updating, I hope I now finally can start playing in earnest.

Be careful if you're playing GPP + GEP.  GPP has not yet been updated for the new scatterer (0.0540), so to play GPP you have to continue using the old scatterer (0.0336).  And the new GEP (1.0.1.4) is not compatible with the old scatterer.  So if you're playing GEP with GPP, you have to continue using the old GEP (1.0.1.3) with the old scatterer configs.  Once GPP updates, you'll be able to combine all the new versions.

Of course, if you're not using scatterer, then it doesn't matter.  You should be able to use the new GEP in that case without any problems.

Edited by OhioBob

Thanks for the warning. I do not use GEP at all, as I wanted to do a bit of exploration in the Ciro system before considering moving on, thus keeping the old Scatterer (high tides included at no extra cost). Unfortunately, it turns out it was not Kerbal Health that caused the crash. If I find a reliably way of reproducing it and/or the conflicting mod, I will make a proper bug report at appropriate places.

Quick question, now that KSP has updated to 1.7 and I currently load 150+ mods I'll have to wait awhile to actually upgrade to 1.7 until some of my more important mods are updated. So once GPP is updated, would it be possible to take the new scatterer configs from GPP / GEP and replace the old scatterer configs with them in the older version for 1.6.1 while using Scatterer 0.0540?

2 hours ago, CoriW said:

So once GPP is updated, would it be possible to take the new scatterer configs from GPP / GEP and replace the old scatterer configs with them in the older version for 1.6.1 while using Scatterer 0.0540?

I think that should work, but I can't guarantee it.  Just copying the GPP_Scatterer and GEP_Scatterer folders from the new version to the old will probably work.  If it doesn't work, you should be able to revert back to the old configs without any harm being done to your save.  If you're using either GPP_Secondary or GEP_Primary, then there may be additional scatterer files in those folders that will also have to be copied over.  

Edited by OhioBob

• 2 months later...

UPDATE

Version 1.0.1.5

Changelog

For GEP:

• Implemented changes required for Koperncicus 1.7.1
  • Revised scaled version material settings and texture tiling.
  • Revised ground scatter land classes.
  • Revised Kerbal Health config.
  • Added Principia config (moves Belisama to stable orbit).

For GEP_Primary:

• Added Kerbalism config.
  • Revised Kronometer settings.
  • Fixed MechJeb2 config.

See opening post for download link and instructions.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure where the best place to post this is. There seems to be a nasty interaction between GEP and Contract Configurator and the Field Research contract pack. 

I'm seeing this error:

ContractConfigurator.ContractType: CONTRACT_TYPE 'FS_HardScience': Error parsing scienceSubjectsTemp1

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

ArgumentException: 'RA' is not a valid CelestialBody.
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseCelestialBodyValue (System.String celestialName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.Util.Science.GetBiome (.ScienceSubject subject) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.Method`2[ScienceSubject,ContractConfigurator.Biome].Invoke (.ScienceSubject obj) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.Method`2[ScienceSubject,ContractConfigurator.Biome].Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[ScienceSubject].ParseMethod[ScienceSubject] (ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.Token token, .ScienceSubject obj, Boolean isFunction) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseVarOrIdentifier (ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.Token token) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[ScienceSubject].ParseMethod[ScienceSubject] (ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.Token token, .ScienceSubject obj, Boolean isFunction) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
Rethrow as Exception: Error parsing statement.
Error occurred near '*':
DifficultScienceSubjects().Where(s => s.Biome() == @biome)
...............................................* <-- HERE
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseExpression (System.String key, System.String expression, ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.DataNode dataNode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ExecuteExpression (System.String key, System.String expression, ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.DataNode dataNode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseSingleValue[ScienceSubject] (System.String key, System.String stringValue, Boolean allowExpression) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseValue[List`1] (.ConfigNode configNode, System.String key, Boolean allowExpression) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
ContractConfigurator.LoggingUtil:LogException(Exception)
ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil:ParseValue(ConfigNode, String, Action`1, IContractConfiguratorFactory, List`1, Func`2)
ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil:ParseValue(ConfigNode, String, Action`1, IContractConfiguratorFactory, Func`2)
ContractConfigurator.DeferredLoadUtil:ExecuteLoad(DeferredLoadObject`1)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke(Object, Object[], Exception&)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:Invoke(Object, BindingFlags, Binder, Object[], CultureInfo)
System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[])
ContractConfigurator.<UpdateNonDeterministicValuesIterator>d__30:MoveNext()
System.Linq.<CreateConcatIterator>c__Iterator1`1:MoveNext()
ContractConfigurator.<GenerateContract>d__33:MoveNext()
ContractConfigurator.<ContractEnumerator>d__32:MoveNext()
ContractConfigurator.ContractPreLoader:Update()

(Filename:  Line: -1)

I disabled the Field Research contract pack and it goes away - that's fine but I lose loads of contracts. I figured it was due to a planet pack - my two installed are OPM and GEP. I removed GEP first (I haven't done anything with it so it was easier to remove) and the error has disappeared. 

Now I'm not sure if this is something that needs to be fixed inside GEP, Contract Configurator or the contract pack itself. Just wanted to flag it here. The author of Contract Configurator doesn't seem to be around now so I'm limited in my options.

My post on the Contract Configurator thread is below. It contains the original log file in case you want to take a look.

Edited by madindehead

On 8/15/2019 at 3:40 PM, OhioBob said:

@madindehead, regrettably I know nothing about either Contract Configurator or Field Research, nor how they interact with GEP.  I haven't the slightest idea how to solve the problem.

Not a problem. I don't think it's a GEP issue anyway. I removed GEP for now but I'm going to add it back with GPP_Secondary alongside OPM. 

1 hour ago, madindehead said:

I don't think it's a GEP issue anyway. 

I can't say for sure, but I also have my doubts that GEP could be the problem.  GEP isn't constructed any differently than any other planet pack.

• 2 months later...

Is this pack still being maintained? I found it again last month and have been having an absolute blast. Was wondering if anyone would be interested in the occasional mission report here. I'm playing a hard mode career with no other mods- my end goal is to land a Kerbal on Taranis and bring them home safely. Has that ever been successfully attempted?

@darwinpatrick, yes, I'm still maintaining this mod.  In fact, I recently made some upgrades but haven't released them yet.  I probably should go ahead and do that. I've also been considering adding a few more planets, but that's not certain.

I'd be delighted in seeing your mission reports. I had a lot of fun in playing GEP_Primary as well.  Because the planets orbit a red dwarf, the game has a very different feel to it than stock KSP.  It was a nice change of pace and different from any other planet pack I've played.

Taranis is designed to be one of the most difficult challenges you'll find anywhere.  I've flow by it and landed a probe on it, but that's as far as I went.  I've never landed Kerbals on it nor returned from it.  My flyby through Taranis' SOI took all of about 40 seconds!  And, as I recall, my landing required a total mission delta-v of something like 34 km/s.  The velocities are just really extreme there.

Look for a possible update in the next day or so.  There's just one more thing I know of that I need to fix.