[1.12.5] Grannus Expansion Pack [v1.2.8] [10 May 2022]

OhioBob

4 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Thats a bug with the stock game. I reported it a while ago, and Squad confirmed it and fixed it for the upcoming update. They actually mentioned it in the dev notes this last friday :)

Awesome sauce - thanks for the tip. I played stock solar system 1.4.4 for awhile and didn't have any noticeable problems, yet 1.4.3 GEP at 2.5x scale is nearly unplayable atm. 

42 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

Awesome sauce - thanks for the tip. I played stock solar system 1.4.4 for awhile and didn't have any noticeable problems, yet 1.4.3 GEP at 2.5x scale is nearly unplayable atm. 

yeah, the issue becomes even more apparent with Sigma Dimensions installed. It's definitely unplayable like that. :/ 

@Norcalplanner, I started playing a little bit of GEP Primary today and I discovered a bug.  Solar panels are way underpowered around Nodens.  To fix it, find the following file:

GameData/GEP_Primary/Grannus.cfg

Find the "luminosity" parameter in the config and change it to the following:

luminosity = 1360

The number I had in there works for regular GEP but not GEP_Primary.

I have an update planned that includes several fixes, but I'm holding off until Kopernius updates.

48 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

@Norcalplanner, I started playing a little bit of GEP Primary today and I discovered a bug.  Solar panels are way underpowered around Nodens.  To fix it, find the following file:

GameData/GEP_Primary/Grannus.cfg

Find the "luminosity" parameter in the config and change it to the following:

luminosity = 1360

The number I had in there works for regular GEP but not GEP_Primary.

I have an update planned that includes several fixes, but I'm holding off until Kopernius updates.

I figured that was yet another facet of the challenge of GEP Primary, but part of me is glad that I won't have to pack quite so many solar panels.

Out of curiosity, is that supposed to be watts/m2 at the top of atmosphere?  I seem to recall that it's somewhere around 1354 IRL.

16 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

Out of curiosity, is that supposed to be watts/m2 at the top of atmosphere?  I seem to recall that it's somewhere around 1354 IRL.

Yes, it's W/m2.  The real life number at Earth, called the solar constant, is ~1360, though I've seen the exact number vary a little bit depending on the source.

Grannus is much dimmer than Ciro, but I've moved Nodens much closer to compensate.  So Nodens and Gael have the same solar constant.  Now that I think about it, if you are also playing with GPP_Secondary, I have to make a change to Ciro as well.  Find the following file:

GameData/GEP_Primary/GPP_Secondary.cfg

And add the line "@luminosity = 44000" as shown below:

@ScaledVersion
		{
			@Light
			{
				@luminosity = 44000
				!IntensityCurve {}
				!ScaledIntensityCurve {}
				!IVAIntensityCurve {}

The way it works is the "luminosity" of the home star is the solar constant at the home world.  And the luminosities of other stars are in proportion to the home star.  So in regular GPP, Ciro's luminosity is 1360, so the solar constant at Gael is 1360 W/m2.  And the luminosity of Grannus is 42, or about 1/32nd as bright as Ciro.  But in GEP_Primary/GPP_Secondary, we have to make Grannus' luminosity 1360 so that the solar constant at Nodens is 1360 W/m2.  And then Ciro's luminosity becomes 44000, or about 32 times brighter than Grannus.  Obviously I overlooked these changes when I set up the GEP_Primary configs. :-)

Edited by OhioBob

On 7/12/2018 at 10:42 AM, OhioBob said:

Yes, it's W/m2.  The real life number at Earth, called the solar constant, is ~1360, though I've seen the exact number vary a little bit depending on the source.

Grannus is much dimmer than Ciro, but I've moved Nodens much closer to compensate.  So Nodens and Gael have the same solar constant.  Now that I think about it, if you are also playing with GPP_Secondary, I have to make a change to Ciro as well.  Find the following file:

GameData/GEP_Primary/GPP_Secondary.cfg

And add the line "@luminosity = 44000" as shown below:

@ScaledVersion
		{
			@Light
			{
				@luminosity = 44000
				!IntensityCurve {}
				!ScaledIntensityCurve {}
				!IVAIntensityCurve {}

The way it works is the "luminosity" of the home star is the solar constant at the home world.  And the luminosities of other stars are in proportion to the home star.  So in regular GPP, Ciro's luminosity is 1360, so the solar constant at Gael is 1360 W/m2.  And the luminosity of Grannus is 42, or about 1/32nd as bright as Ciro.  But in GEP_Primary/GPP_Secondary, we have to make Grannus' luminosity 1360 so that the solar constant at Nodens is 1360 W/m2.  And then Ciro's luminosity becomes 44000, or about 32 times brighter than Grannus.  Obviously I overlooked these changes when I set up the GEP_Primary configs. :-)

I was just reading the PDF with all the planet data bundled with GEP, and it looks like you previously determined that the solar constant at Nodens is 1,333 W/m2.  I think I'll ratchet it down to this figure - 1,360 was seeming just a bit much.

58 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

I was just reading the PDF with all the planet data bundled with GEP, and it looks like you previously determined that the solar constant at Nodens is 1,333 W/m2.  I think I'll ratchet it down to this figure - 1,360 was seeming just a bit much.

You're right, I forgot that it's only 1333 W/m2.  I originally had it at 1360 with Nodens' orbit a little closer to Grannus.  But when I decided to make GEP_Primary, I wanted Nodens' day and year to work out to some convenient number of integer hours.  So I ended up fiddling with Nodens' and Belisama's semimajor axes to make Nodens' solar day exactly 90 hours and its year exactly 3 solar days.  That pushed Nodens a little farther away from Grannus and lowered the solar constant.  I'll make the change as well for my next update.  Thanks for reminding me.

• 2 weeks later...

It's about time I drop a bomb in GEP (since its full release). :P Suddenly... alien megastructure in Low Epona Orbit.

Epona is described as a fountain of suspense over a potential cradle of life. Evidently, someone has long ago assumed the role of the hen watching its egg(s).

Honeyview_screenshot1568.jpg

UPDATE

Version 1.0.1.0

Changelog

• Increased RAB-58E's surface gravity.
  • Revised Cernunnos' color, height and normal maps.
  • Added normal map for Sirona.
  • Adjusted Nodens' PQS to make primary and secondary versions match.
  • Revised Grannus' brightness curve.
  • Fixed luminosities of Grannus and Ciro for GEP_Primary.
  • Deactivated stock sunflare when scatterer is installed.
  • Fixed typo in scatterer planet list.
  • Rewrote several scatterer configs to improve compatibility with Module Manager.
  • Reinstalled desert launch site & airfield; revised terrain to accommodate.
  • Tweaked KSC rotation for better east-west alignment.
  • Enabled colliders for boulders and trees.
  • Added MechJeb2 config.

See opening post for download link and instructions.

Here's a couple more screenshots...

f9rprsL.jpg

Just completed a flyby of Taranis.  Not much time to enjoy the view, however.  We zipped past at a whopping 17.4 km/s.

VbipVTa.jpg

A successful orbital science mission to Epona.

By the way, I've discovered a bug in Airmed's biome map.  I plan to release a minor update, but I'd like to give it a little more time to see if any other problems turn up.  If nothing else is reported or discovered, I'll probably update in a week or so.

Edited by OhioBob

Today I did my first MOLE experiments in interplanetary space thanks to this little cruiser:

8wT91nK.png

The cruiser dropped Pe so that the orbital period was 30 days, precisely 2/3 of Nodens' orbital period.  Three orbits later plus a minor correction burn, all four occupants made it back to Nodens safe and sound. 

Keeping everyone happy and alive with both Snacks and Kerbal Health in play is proving to be an enjoyable challenge.  In particular, I've taken to reinforcing the radiation shielding by attaching structural plates to the outside of the craft.  Gives it a bit of a steampunk vibe.

Edited by Norcalplanner
typos

9 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

Nice!  Gravity assist off Sirona?  Or brute force straight from Nodens?

No gravity assist, but I did use a bi-elliptical transfer.  I put it into a polar orbit so I was able to get science from all of Grannus' biomes.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

Version 1.0.1.1

Changelog

• Fixed error in Airmed's biome map.
  • Fixed typo in Island Airfield MapDecal.
  • Fixed typos in English localization file.
  • Changed Rosmerta's space threshold to 25,000 meters.
  • Revised installation instructions for GEP_CommNet.

See opening post for download link and instructions.

32 minutes ago, Luc1fer said:

Guys The red sun doesn't recharge my batteries, panels seem to only get energy from the sun :(

I remember reading something about a feature of Kopernicus that switches solar panels to different stars, I dont have any experience with visiting other stars though. 

2 hours ago, Luc1fer said:

Guys The red sun doesn't recharge my batteries, panels seem to only get energy from the sun :(

I can't help you without more information.  But as @4x4cheesecake said, if you're using Kerbalism, then that's your problem.  Kerbalism does not work with any planet packs that have multiple stars.  You'll have to decide between one mod or the other, but you can't use both.

If you're not using Kerbalism, then I have no idea what your problem is.  You haven't given me enough to diagnose the problem.

13 hours ago, OhioBob said:

I can't help you without more information.  But as @4x4cheesecake said, if you're using Kerbalism, then that's your problem.  Kerbalism does not work with any planet packs that have multiple stars.  You'll have to decide between one mod or the other, but you can't use both.

If you're not using Kerbalism, then I have no idea what your problem is.  You haven't given me enough to diagnose the problem.

Ok, I'm using kerbalism,this is my mod files.

Nc2YaoC.png

The thing is that the original granus mod with a single new solar system with a red sun as it's center won't load my panels:

The panels don't recognise the red sun as the sun so they aim for kerbin's sun that is extremely far away, this breaks my ships cuz i don't get enough energy to run my things.Why my panels don't aim for the red sun?

PxAdNFs.png

2 hours ago, Luc1fer said:

The thing is that the original granus mod with a single new solar system with a red sun as it's center won't load my panels:

The panels don't recognise the red sun as the sun so they aim for kerbin's sun that is extremely far away, this breaks my ships cuz i don't get enough energy to run my things.Why my panels don't aim for the red sun?

The solar panels are suppose to track the brightest light source, but I believe it's a bit buggy and doesn't always worked right.  If you right-click on the solar panels you should be able to select the star that they track.  If you select Grannus the solar panels should point in that direction.

Also, according to the screenshot of your GameData folder, you don't have ModularFlightIntegrator installed.  ModularFlightIntegrator comes in the Kopernicus download and must be installed for Koperniucs to work.

Edited by OhioBob