[1.12.5] Grannus Expansion Pack [v1.2.8] [10 May 2022]

OhioBob

On 1/30/2018 at 2:50 PM, OverlordMorgoth said:

Just here to confirm that it works with GPP Secondary just fine and congratulate on the release!

Ive figured out how to run this solo(without GPP or Secondary,....and technically im running it with GN and have successfully moved the planets to Kpol, one of GNs own procedural stars). Just a lil config editing and deleting of 1 or 2 files, and blamo!

Just now, OverlordMorgoth said:

Not the bad news. I tried it on Linux and am having some graphics issues:

https://imgur.com/gallery/rxZdT

I tried the pluginData solution but that didn't help. Any ideas?

Answered you in the GPP thread.

12 minutes ago, Jesusthebird said:

Ive figured out how to run this solo(without GPP or Secondary,....and technically im running it with GN and have successfully moved the planets to Kpol, one of GNs own procedural stars). Just a lil config editing and deleting of 1 or 2 files, and blamo!

Well GEP is compatible and put around its own star with GN so you may have taken some unnecessary steps.

On 2/6/2018 at 6:15 PM, Galileo said:

Answered you in the GPP thread.

Well GEP is compatible and put around its own star with GN so you may have taken some unnecessary steps.

lol, defiantly! Its just my way of learning about kopernicus. However even tho GEP is with its own star. GN configs puts a NEEDS[GPPAfter] in the planet_fix.cfg so Im guessing technically with GN installed, you would need GPP to run GEP. Unless you edit a few configs. At least thats what Ive found. Disabling that specific cfg lets the planets cfg control orbit. or editing that cfg would work as well. Im just enjoying the tinkering rn. I see why you guys do these mods. its pretty fun to mess with this game.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:13 PM, Jesusthebird said:

GN configs puts a NEEDS[GPPAfter] in the planet_fix.cfg so Im guessing technically with GN installed, you would need GPP to run GEP.

Not only that, but all the GEP configs contain AFTER[GPP], so yes, GEP will load only if GPP is also installed.  The initial release of GEP was not written with GN in mind.  However, I might be able to change it in the next release to allow GEP to load in GN without GPP.  I'll put it on my to do list.  BTW, in GN the GEP planets do not orbit Grannus; they orbit a new star named Mogounus.

(EDIT)  I just remembered also that GEP uses GPP's ground textures.  Without GPP installed, GEP will look pretty crappy as it was never intended to work independently of GPP.  From the opening post:

GEP is designed to work only when installed with GPP, it is not a standalone planet pack.

'nuff said.

Edited by OhioBob

UPDATE

Version 0.9.0.0

Changelog

• Updated for Kopernicus 1.3.1-6 and GPP 1.6.1.0.
  • Changed file structure to enable on demand loading.
  • Added Final Frontier ribbons.
  • Changed semimajor axes and periods of Nodens and Belisama.
  • Revised CelestialBodies.pdf.
  • Deleted Pre_GPP160.cfg.

GEP will work only if matched to the correct version of GPP.  For GPP 1.6.1.0, GEP 0.9.0.0 must be used.  For the GPP 1.6.0.2, GEP 0.8.0.0 must be used.

Edited by OhioBob

• 1 month later...

@EleSigma, I've never seen that problem before.  What versions of everything are you using?  The following works for me:

KSP 1.3.1
Kopernicus 1.3.1-7
GPP 1.6.1.2
GEP 0.9.0.0
EVE 1.2.2-1

If you are using anything different, I can't guarantee it will work.

3 hours ago, OhioBob said:

@EleSigma, I've never seen that problem before.  What versions of everything are you using?  The following works for me:

KSP 1.3.1
Kopernicus 1.3.1-7
GPP 1.6.1.2
GEP 0.9.0.0
EVE 1.2.2-1

If you are using anything different, I can't guarantee it will work.

That's exactly what I am using. Anyways I've found what the issue is, kind of. I had my graphics settings turned down for better performance in-game, these were the settings changes I had when I was getting the black ring:

• anti-aliasing disabled
  • shadow cascades set to 2
  • highlight FX disabled (it disables automatically when you disable anti-aliasing)
  • render quality: good

I did a little test and maxed out all graphics settings and the rings worked. The issue I have now is narrowing down which setting or combination of settings causes the rings to work and not work, which is tedious and time consuming since I usually have to restart the game each time I make major settings changes before they take effect.

Edited by EleSigma

@EleSigma, that's interesting.  I've never tested it with all those graphics settings turned down like that.  I have my settings pretty high.  Odd that only Sirona's ring is affected by it.  I'm guessing it's probably because Sirona orbits a secondary star.  I know there are a lot of things that are buggy when there are multiple stars.  If you have the time to run an experiment, try installing OPM as well and see if you have the same problem with Sarnus' ring.

@Galileo, do you have any ideas on how to fix this problem?

12 hours ago, OhioBob said:

@EleSigma, that's interesting.  I've never tested it with all those graphics settings turned down like that.  I have my settings pretty high.  Odd that only Sirona's ring is affected by it.  I'm guessing it's probably because Sirona orbits a secondary star.  I know there are a lot of things that are buggy when there are multiple stars.  If you have the time to run an experiment, try installing OPM as well and see if you have the same problem with Sarnus' ring.

@Galileo, do you have any ideas on how to fix this problem?

I downloaded OPM (latest version from Galileo's continuation of it) and first tested with max graphics settings, both Sarnus and Sirona had a ring, I set the graphics to the lower settings I usually play at and Sarnus had its ring while Sirona went back to a black ring.

44 minutes ago, EleSigma said:

I downloaded OPM (latest version from Galileo's continuation of it) and first tested with max graphics settings, both Sarnus and Sirona had a ring, I set the graphics to the lower settings I usually play at and Sarnus had its ring while Sirona went back to a black ring.

That's puzzling.  I'll have to look at the configs to see if I can find anything different between them.  Thanks for running the test.

@EleSigma, here is Sarnus' ring config:

Ring
			{
				angle = 0
				innerRadius = 1250
				outerRadius = 2250
				texture = OPM/OPM_Textures/Sarnus_ring
				color = 1,1,1,1
				lockRotation = true
				unlit = False
				useNewShader = True
				penumbraMultipler = 10.0
			}

And here's Sirona's:

Ring
			{
				angle = 0
				outerRadius = 2333
				innerRadius = 1333
				texture = GEP/GEP_Textures/PluginData/Sirona_ring.dds
				color = 0.5,0.5,0.5,0.5
				lockRotation = False
				unlit = False
				useNewShader = True
				penumbraMultipler = 10.0
			}

The immediate differences that I see are inner/outer radii, lockRotation, and the color.  I wouldn't think any of those would cause the problem you're seeing, but who knows.  I've been wrong about that stuff before.  Since I might not be able to reproduce the problem on my computer, can you run an experiment for me?  Can you try changing all the Sirona ring configs to those used for Sarnus (except for the texture) and see if that makes a difference?  You can find the settings in GEP/GEP_Bodies/Sirona.cfg.  If that makes no difference, then we can eliminate those as the cause.

If none of those other settings makes difference, can you then try changing Sirona's ring texture to point to Sarnus'.  If you then get Sirona in game with Sarnus' ring, then we know there might be something wrong with Sirona's ring texture.  I see that Sirona's ring texture is .dds and resides in a PluginData folder, while Sarnus' ring texture is .png and is outside of PluginData.  Maybe that's causing some problem.  However, the way I did it is the same as it's done in GPP, and you said GPP's rings are fine.  So I find it puzzling that it would work for GPP and not GEP.

I'll also try changing my graphics settings to the same ones that you typically use to see if I can reproduce the problem in my game.  If so, then that will allow me to run tests for myself.  I've got to run out for awhile first, so I won't get to it for probably a couple hours.

Also note that I have no idea what's going to happen when Kopernicus upgrades to 1.4.1.  That could change some things.  It might not be worth putting in too much effort on this issue until everything gets upgrade.  Whatever we do now might be obsolete in a few days.

Edited by OhioBob

1 hour ago, EleSigma said:

Just now, OhioBob said:

@EleSigma, here is Sarnus' ring config:

And here's Sirona's:

The immediate differences that I see are inner/outer radii, lockRotation, and the color.  I wouldn't think any of those would cause the problem you're seeing, but who knows.  I've been wrong about that stuff before.  Since I might not be able to reproduce the problem on my computer, can you run an experiment for me?  Can you try changing all the Sirona ring configs to those used for Sarnus (except for the texture) and see if that makes a difference?  You can find the settings in GEP/GEP_Bodies/Sirona.cfg.  If that makes no difference, then we can eliminate those as the cause.

The issue is the dimensions of the ring texture. In OPM the ring textures are 1024x1 and in GPP they are 1024x64 (so you can see it better while you develop it) and in GEP they are oddly at 2024x100 and I suspect unity/ksp doesn't know how to degrade a texture that is not a in a proper, typical dimension. They don't have to be 1024xX, they can be 2048x1 or 2048x128 if you want to keep it close to that size.

Edited by Galileo

Thanks, @Galileo.

@EleSigma, try replacing Sirona's ring texture with this one (1024x64):  http://www.braeunig.us/KSP/GEP/Sirona_ring.dds

Hopefully that will fix the problem.  Please let me know what happens.  I'll include the revision in the next GEP update.

Edited by OhioBob

• 2 weeks later...

While I'm not playing with the whole system  around Grannus as it's just too far in my 2.5X rescaled game, I took the liberty of seeding some of the mod's planets and moons in my GPP system and they're looking good. Just landed in Damona's giant impact basin at the foot of its central peak, and I'm planning an expedition to the summit to plant a flag there.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

Version 0.9.2.0

Changelog

• Taranis: Fixed lava and color map bugs, despeckled height map, added PQS height noise, new normal map.
  • Nodens: Fixed height map bug, added PQS height noise, new normal map, recolored shoreline, added trees.
  • Belisama: Revised color map, tweaked height noise settings, new normal map.
  • Airmed: Added PQS height noise, new normal map.
  • Brovo: Added PQS height noise, new normal map.
  • Damona: Added PQS height noise, new normal map.
  • Epona: Added PQS height noise, new normal map.
  • Miscellaneous housekeeping updates to planet configs.
  • Updated cache files.

This is intended to be the final release for KSP 1.3.1.  It is designed to work with GPP 1.6.2.2.

Edited by OhioBob

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2018 at 12:38 PM, OhioBob said:

UPDATE

Version 0.9.2.0

Changelog

• Taranis: Fixed lava and color map bugs, despeckled height map, added PQS height noise, new normal map.
  • Nodens: Fixed height map bug, added PQS height noise, new normal map, recolored shoreline, added trees.
  • Belisama: Revised color map, tweaked height noise settings, new normal map.
  • Airmed: Added PQS height noise, new normal map.
  • Brovo: Added PQS height noise, new normal map.
  • Damona: Added PQS height noise, new normal map.
  • Epona: Added PQS height noise, new normal map.
  • Miscellaneous housekeeping updates to planet configs.
  • Updated cache files.

This is intended to be the final release for KSP 1.3.1.  It is designed to work with GPP 1.6.2.2.

Bob,

Would you have any concerns about updating GEP during a career in progress?  I have a few craft heading to Grannus right now using GEP 0.9.1, and would very much like for Grannus and all her planets and moons to be in their currently predicted locations when the craft arrive.

Edited by Norcalplanner

2 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

Would you have any concerns about updating GEP during a career in progress?  I have a few craft heading to Grannus right now using GEP 0.9.1, and would very much like for Grannus and all her planets and moons to be in their currently predicted locations when the craft arrive.

I can't think of any reason why adding or updating GEP mid-game would cause any problems.  I think you'll be OK.

10 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

Bob,

There is no danger. The planets' orbital situations won't change. :) And Grannus is a dude not a chick. :sticktongue:

Edited by JadeOfMaar

UPDATE

Version 1.0.0.0

Changelog

• Made GEP a standalone mod, independent of GPP.
  • Added GEP_Primary, including all related configs and revisions.
  • Added GEP_CommNet, including all related configs and revisions.
  • Added textures for Communotron 7-1000 antenna.
  • Added delta-v tables.
  • Enabled PlanetShine and EVE eclipses for GEP_Primary.
  • Revised Nodens' PQSmods and textures, added islands for PQSCity.
  • Revised Belisama's meanAnomalyAtEpoch to improve solar eclipses.
  • Revised some in-game descriptions.

GEP is no longer GPP dependent.  It is now a standalone mod that can be added to the stock solar system as well as GPP.  It can also be installed as the primary star system with the planet Nodens as the home world (using the optional add-on GEP_Primary).

If installed with GPP, be advised that GEP 1.0.0.0 requires GPP 1.6.3.0 or later.  Earlier versions of GPP must continue to use GEP 0.9.2.0.

See opening post for download link and instructions.

Nice :) 

Do you happen to know if this will work in a 1.3 game? I haven't gotten round to updating my mod list yet (and I sort of prefer not to except for the big things like GPP/GEP...)