Pretty but buggy

The new edition looks good but is buggy. I am playing in career mode and i am finding vehicles i just recovered still out there needing to be recovered. I also did my first rescue mission and just finished the space walk transfer and had time before my reentry so i went to the tracking station to clear the other ship and when i jumped back the kerbel was gone from my ship and my ship was reset back to where i was before where i am guessing it last auto saved. Lost that whole mission and cost. Leaving the tracking station to the KSC has bad lag and graphics problems. And i do not like the throttle controls. They are reversed from your first attempt and it feels wrong. So i guess my question is, is there a way to change that? Tried the analog throttle but there was no change. On the plus side it hasn't crashed or lost my data. So maybe a hot fix in a week or two not a year or two. 

4 hours ago, KonsoleMinimalist said:

Thank you i believe i am in radial and i like it fine except for the throttle control. Got to say i am enjoying this game again. 

So was i... Until... It happened. Every time i try to save the game freezes. Until i press the pause button then the game resumes but without having saved and other weirdness. Might as well be the save data corruption bug they hired a whole new company to fix as far as im concerned. Havent started a new game yet been playing for at least 6 hours on ps

2 hours ago, Kerbal Sofa Program said:

So was i... Until... It happened. Every time i try to save the game freezes. Until i press the pause button then the game resumes but without having saved and other weirdness. Might as well be the save data corruption bug they hired a whole new company to fix as far as im concerned. Havent started a new game yet been playing for at least 6 hours on ps

Since posting this ive realized i can pause the game, go to the space center and save there without incident. Not always convenient but hey

2 hours ago, Kerbal Sofa Program said:

Since posting this ive realized i can pause the game, go to the space center and save there without incident. Not always convenient but hey

Thats good to know. In the old one quicksaving was a sure way to lose your data so i still don't use it out of old habits. Still can't bring myself to have more then three flights either but i need to set up my comms network. I am still backing up save data on a usb as well. Got to learn to trust again 

1 hour ago, KonsoleMinimalist said:

Thats good to know. In the old one quicksaving was a sure way to lose your data so i still don't use it out of old habits. Still can't bring myself to have more then three flights either but i need to set up my comms network. I am still backing up save data on a usb as well. Got to learn to trust again 

Maybe learn to trust again once they have dealt with these bugs?....im cautiously playing a new science mode but i really dont want them to say....'okay guys we can fix the problem but your are giong to lose all your saves...and its your own fault for trusting us to release a working game after an 18 month wait...'

59 minutes ago, AndyChilly said:

Maybe learn to trust again once they have dealt with these bugs?....im cautiously playing a new science mode but i really dont want them to say....'okay guys we can fix the problem but your are giong to lose all your saves...and its your own fault for trusting us to release a working game after an 18 month wait...'

That is the real issue is it not? That even though this is technically a new game so bugs are to be expected. The testing phase lasted so long and the devs talked about how closely the builds were being scrutinized that most of these bugs should have been found during that time. I know that is why i am being so cautious, this release after all the talk about the builds is in all fairness a working edition and after some fixes might be enhanced. Still glad its here and i will be pushing the limits soon. 

37 minutes ago, KonsoleMinimalist said:

That is the real issue is it not? That even though this is technically a new game so bugs are to be expected. The testing phase lasted so long and the devs talked about how closely the builds were being scrutinized that most of these bugs should have been found during that time. I know that is why i am being so cautious, this release after all the talk about the builds is in all fairness a working edition and after some fixes might be enhanced. Still glad its here and i will be pushing the limits soon. 

Yeah, They way they built it up, it sounded like they spent 1/4 of the year just clearing up bugs and just before they started talking about certification, they really made it out like their main priority was making sure this game came to us near perfect....I started play and found a bug in 10 mins of trying all the assembly controls out...and I thought to myself....really!?....one person didn't sit in the assembly building just double checking every action works? i mean just make a list of all the controls and sit through and tick them off as you use them and you would come across this bug in no time. Then yesterday I was in the assembly building and suddenly I was unable to use any buttons...couldn't pick an part up, couldnt get the pause menu up...had to restart the game and I lost my build. that should not be happening after so much bug fixing. But that was a seemingly random occurrence and i can understand that being missed, but come one, make sure the controls work at least..

30 minutes ago, AndyChilly said:

Yeah, They way they built it up, it sounded like they spent 1/4 of the year just clearing up bugs and just before they started talking about certification, they really made it out like their main priority was making sure this game came to us near perfect....I started play and found a bug in 10 mins of trying all the assembly controls out...and I thought to myself....really!?....one person didn't sit in the assembly building just double checking every action works? i mean just make a list of all the controls and sit through and tick them off as you use them and you would come across this bug in no time. Then yesterday I was in the assembly building and suddenly I was unable to use any buttons...couldn't pick an part up, couldnt get the pause menu up...had to restart the game and I lost my build. that should not be happening after so much bug fixing. But that was a seemingly random occurrence and i can understand that being missed, but come one, make sure the controls work at least..

Even though it has never been said it is very apparent that this was never high on the priority list for them. I suspect that one guy tested the builds for about an hour each week just to say they worked on it. It seems clear that they continue to work on the PC version more even though modders are doing better work then they are. I wish they could have thrown us a bone since we had to wait so long like maybe mod support or just integrate a few. Mods like shine and planet packs are nice and i would love to get habitats and cargo mods but really i would be happy if they just integrate mechjeb and alarm clock into the base game if mods are never going to be supported. It will be interesting to read the weekly update this week to see what is said. I hope they look at fixing the bugs at least. However i do not expect anything from them for consoles past bug fixes. They may be a small crew but had they just put the PC expansions to the side for a month and thrown their full attention at this it wouldn't have been so buggy. I was concerned about this release since it has always seemed as an after thought its sad that my fears were correct. I have been following these forums for over a year about the consoles and the weekly announcements, its been raging players and lip service from the devs. I don't expect much to change. 

4 minutes ago, KonsoleMinimalist said:

I wish they could have thrown us a bone since we had to wait so long like maybe mod support or just integrate a few. Mods like shine and planet packs are nice and i would love to get habitats and cargo mods but really i would be happy if they just integrate mechjeb and alarm clock into the base game if mods are never going to be supported. 

If they allowed mod support then outsiders would be able to provide patches to fix the various bugs...with Skyrim on the xbox one there is a Unoffical Patch Mod which fixes lots of things Bethesda never bothered to fix...and anytime another bug is found, the modder updates the patch.

6 minutes ago, KonsoleMinimalist said:

It will be interesting to read the weekly update this week to see what is said. I hope they look at fixing the bugs at least. However i do not expect anything from them for consoles past bug fixes.

I will be surprised if we get a mention at all or they will say something like 'Enhanced Edition was released this week and from the feedback we've got, people are loving it!' something like that just to show us that really they've stopped listening as console users were just slowing them down.

14 hours ago, KonsoleMinimalist said:

Thank you i believe i am in radial and i like it fine except for the throttle control. Got to say i am enjoying this game again.

14 hours ago, bewing said:

Try the Cursor preset. That's basically a copy of the Flying Tigers control scheme.

That's what I'm doing, it's working fine for me! (except for a weird bug were the ship indicator is 100 meters away, but it still works!

49 minutes ago, Chic_Planet said:

Here is another post i made in the tech support.

I would have prefer waiting for another 6 months than playing this version :

I haven't found anything game breaking yet, however the amount and frequency of the bugs is annoying. I too can not count all the ones i have encountered and are still finding. I feel i should be reporting them so they can be fixed however i paid full price for a broken game over a year ago and had to wait this long for any action and after all the talk of testing builds i also feel i shouldn't have to do the job they said they were doing. I would have waited 6 months 18 months ago for what we just got. I still am not raging over this but when you factor in the total experience of this whole thing it has not been worth the price. The fact that the first attempt was so bad and the response was so lacking and then this bee hive of issues after months of "testing builds" as we got as an update every week, i just can't bring myself to want to help them. 

1 hour ago, Chic_Planet said:

Here is another post i made in the tech support.

I would have prefer waiting for another 6 months than playing this version :

Snarky posts aren't gonna get you a lot of response, ya know. Your old version is still on your machine and you can continue playing it until the next bugfix patch comes out, if that's what you want to do.

We know about a lot of these bugs and they are being worked on.

Otherwise, we need clear repro steps if you actually want stuff fixed. We need to know what preset you are using. Whether you have a cursor active or not at the time. Details. Whether you can reproduce the error after a restart of the game. These minimalist complaint reports are completely unhelpful.

Edited by bewing

25 minutes ago, bewing said:

Snarky posts aren't gonna get you a lot of response, ya know. Your old version is still on your machine and you can continue playing it until the next bugfix patch comes out, if that's what you want to do.

Otherwise, we need clear repro steps if you actually want stuff fixed. We need to know what preset you are using. Whether you have a cursor active or not at the time. Details. Whether you can reproduce the error after a restart of the game. These minimalist complaint reports are completely unhelpful.

This seems like a slightly unprofessional response from a Squad Staff Member to someone who is clearly disheartened with a game chic_planet so badly wants to love.

I mean, i'm happy having a game which doesn't corrupt. but i can fully understand peoples frustration after they paid for a game in 2016 and it still isn't working like it should.

Telling him 'if your not happy go play the old version'  is not the way to get customers on side i feel. 

However I'm glad to hear that the bugs are aknowledged

Edited by AndyChilly

I used the radial preset.
I don’t remember if my cursor was on or off, sorry.
I’m sorry but with my first bug (the save corrupted video on youtube) i spend a lot of time to capture and upload  it on youtube just so you have a video to look for.
Again, today, when i had a new bug, i have tried to explain as well as i can (https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/169704-seriouly-have-you-debug-the-enhanced-edition/)
Finally, i copy past a post on reddit with others bugs, so that you have it all in one post.
And sorry, but i think i can be snarky with all the time i spend reporting you bugs you should have report by yourself.

30 minutes ago, bewing said:

I really hope your not a dev because this statement really drives home the way console players have been treated. Yes we do have now 2 versions of this game one is less buggy but crashes and corrupts data for any multitude of reasons and we have played it since 2016 waiting on a fix. So yes us console players who still want to play this new non crashing but very buggy version will play it until a fix comes. I can not say we will wait even half as long as we did for this but we will wait. Hows that for snarky?

11 minutes ago, KonsoleMinimalist said:

I really hope your not a dev because this statement really drives home the way console players have been treated.

It says Squad Staff under his name so hes got something to do with it...its not on to be told, if we dont like it go play elsewhere until its fixed when they have been holding our money since 2016 while we wait for a game we paid for.

49 minutes ago, Chic_Planet said:

I used the radial preset.
I don’t remember if my cursor was on or off, sorry.
I’m sorry but with my first bug (the save corrupted video on youtube) i spend a lot of time to capture and upload  it on youtube just so you have a video to look for.

On the video, it shows the aftereffects of a bug very clearly, yes. But the important part is what happened just before that. Thanks for the info about the preset and the cursor.

The video does not necessarily show savegame corruption, however. What it shows is that the terrain ("the PQS system") has failed to load. While there is a chance this may be related to your savegame, it is more likely to be related to a problem while the game was loading. Did you happen to suspend the console while the game was loading?

If you reload the game, you may find that savegame works perfectly well. This would be important info for us to know about your problem.

For some of the problems that users are talking about, they have already been fixed since the game was sent for certification by MS and Sony.

For many of the other problems that users are complaining about, there is a high probability that they are missing some important details about window focus, or how controls necessarily change when switching between the many varied game modes. Which is why we need details. We need to be able to clarify confusion about functions that actually do work, and distinguish that from actual bugs.

For things like remapping button controls, you must understand the concept of button combos. If 30 button combos rely on a particular button and that button gets remapped, can you imagine how much of the game would break? At the moment, it's not doable.

And yes, this game is based on KSP version 1.2.2. If you look in the bug tracker, you will find that there are dozens of reports in there about bugs in that version of the game. We are sorry, but yes this console version will have bugs in it because it is based on version 1.2.2. We cannot promise that it is bug free, because it is certainly not. When the next bug patch comes out, it will be more playable than it is now, which we already feel is more playable than the 1.1.0 version.

36 minutes ago, AndyChilly said:

It says Squad Staff under his name so hes got something to do with it...its not on to be told, if we dont like it go play elsewhere until its fixed when they have been holding our money since 2016 while we wait for a game we paid for.

He said specifically that he would rather wait for the bugs to be fixed than play the current version. That was his suggestion, not mine.

27 minutes ago, bewing said:

On the video, it shows the aftereffects of a bug very clearly, yes. But the important part is what happened just before that. Thanks for the info about the preset and the cursor.

The video does not necessarily show savegame corruption, however. What it shows is that the terrain ("the PQS system") has failed to load. While there is a chance this may be related to your savegame, it is more likely to be related to a problem while the game was loading. Did you happen to suspend the console while the game was loading?

If you reload the game, you may find that savegame works perfectly well. This would be important info for us to know about your problem.

For some of the problems that users are talking about, they have already been fixed since the game was sent for certification by MS and Sony.

For many of the other problems that users are complaining about, there is a high probability that they are missing some important details about window focus, or how controls necessarily change when switching between the many varied game modes. Which is why we need details. We need to be able to clarify confusion about functions that actually do work, and distinguish that from actual bugs.

For things like remapping button controls, you must understand the concept of button combos. If 30 button combos rely on a particular button and that button gets remapped, can you imagine how much of the game would break? At the moment, it's not doable.

And yes, this game is based on KSP version 1.2.2. If you look in the bug tracker, you will find that there are dozens of reports in there about bugs in that version of the game. We are sorry, but yes this console version will have bugs in it because it is based on version 1.2.2. We cannot promise that it is bug free, because it is certainly not. When the next bug patch comes out, it will be more playable than it is now, which we already feel is more playable than the 1.1.0 version.

He said specifically that he would rather wait for the bugs to be fixed than play the current version. That was his suggestion, not mine.

To add to the terrain not loading correctly as an issue i am seeing that often when coming out of the tracking station as well as the admin building. There is lag as the terrain around the KSC loads in and replaces the water texture. I am in radial mode just exiting normally

While i have said i expect there to be bugs would it have been to much to expect you to use the bug tracker from the 1.2.2 and try and eliminate those bugs during this process? I am a mechanical guy but if i have a tool that i made to fix a problem on one machine i would be amiss if i did not use that tool to stop the problem when building a new copy of that machine. 

This post is more of what i would hope for from an employee of this company. We realize that this whole ordeal has been and will continue to be stressful both on you and us and i for one thank you for your continued efforts. 

Edited by KonsoleMinimalist
Added mode

- The video does not necessarily show savegame corruption

I know, but as it occured to me when i was loading a save and the game can't be played anymore, i call it "save corrupted"

- Did you happen to suspend the console while the game was loading?

Nop, i quit the game. Return to the dashboard of the xbox et relaunch the game few seconds after

- If you reload the game, you may find that savegame works perfectly well. This would be important info for us to know about your problem.

In my original post, i told you that " Restart the console doesn’t do anything, you have to reboot it to be able to play again. " :wink:

- We need to be able to clarify confusion about functions that actually do work, and distinguish that from actual bugs.

You're absolutly right !  yesterday i thought having a bug : i couldn't fly my rocket because any button was working....  just because i haven't quit the warp mode for example. :wink:

Maybe you should had "contextual tips" in the game when this happen.

But the second bug i reported in this link, is a true bug. I can tell that because even the camera didn't work.

- We cannot promise that it is bug free

I understand, no game is bug free.

But a lot of people had those bug just after playing only a few hours... that's why we may be a little snarky ,because, to tell you the truth, we think it's impossible you missed them :wink:

10 minutes ago, KonsoleMinimalist said:

While i have said i expect there to be bugs would it have been to much to expect you to use the bug tracker from the 1.2.2 and try and eliminate those bugs during this process?

They did that---for the 1.3 release. When porting 1.2.2 to console, finding a bug that was already in the bug tracker for 1.2.2 on PC probably counted as "good enough, don't need to fix." Trying to add core fixes during the port would result in the PC and console versions having (even more) different code, which would be a nightmare for maintenance. You'd fix a bug in the main code, and then you'd have to re-fix it all over again for console, rather than just pulling forward the same fix.

5 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

They did that---for the 1.3 release. When porting 1.2.2 to console, finding a bug that was already in the bug tracker for 1.2.2 on PC probably counted as "good enough, don't need to fix." Trying to add core fixes during the port would result in the PC and console versions having (even more) different code, which would be a nightmare for maintenance. You'd fix a bug in the main code, and then you'd have to re-fix it all over again for console, rather than just pulling forward the same fix.

Ok i have no coding so if you say.  but if that is the case then the code fixes are then already mostly done then by that logic. 

I have also heard the opposite argument that coding for PC and consoles are so night and day that almost nothing translates so there might not be any fixes ready and it is a whole new ballgame.

43 minutes ago, Chic_Planet said:

- The video does not necessarily show savegame corruption

I know, but as it occured to me when i was loading a save and the game can't be played anymore, i call it "save corrupted"

OK

- Did you happen to suspend the console while the game was loading?

Nop, i quit the game. Return to the dashboard of the xbox et relaunch the game few seconds after

What button or menu did you use to quit the game? So you started the game from the dashboard, and then while it was loading you quit the game? And then you started the game again? And when the game loaded the second time, Kerbin was gone?

- If you reload the game, you may find that savegame works perfectly well. This would be important info for us to know about your problem.

In my original post, i told you that " Restart the console doesn’t do anything, you have to reboot it to be able to play again. " :wink:

Yes, but that sentence confuses me. On Xbox you can hold down the xbox button and it brings up a menu. From that menu you can close the game. And then reopen the game, without shutting down or rebooting the console. Was that what you did? I don't understand exactly what you mean by "Restart the console". Which button do you push to do that, exactly? And when you tried, there was no response at all from the button?

Maybe you should had "contextual tips" in the game when this happen.

Yes, we agree. We are thinking about ways to do exactly that.

But the second bug i reported in this link, is a true bug. I can tell that because even the camera didn't work.

Yes, but sadly when I go into the tracking station, exit the tracking station, and go to the launchpad, my rocket works. So there has to be some other detail that's making it go wrong. I can't reproduce your problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.