[1.12.x] KEI - Kerbin Environmental Institute

linuxgurugamer

On 8/24/2018 at 3:28 PM, JoE Smash said:

That worked...so Probes Plus breaks KEI at some point after unlocking science in Advanced Exploration....it worked with Probes Plus earlier in my career....but I unlocked an experiment that broke KEI.

It also uses DMagic Science Animate as a dependancy....so I don't know if that is somehow involved....

Probes Plus also adds parts that duplicate SCAN SAT parts....but the science from those aern't collectable at KSC, so I don't think that would do it....

Are you still having this issue?

I'm having an issue with KEI not opening the window.  (Could be similar to what JoE Smash is having).  For me, it initially appeared to trigger by changing the setting in Toolbar Controller for it, but that could be red herring.

I just tried re-installing KEI and got the same issue.  Log here: http://magehandbook.com/owncloud/index.php/s/MW4kpQG7DPS1TZP  (I tried changing which toolbar the button was on a couple of times, but otherwise not much else in there.)

And a bit of testing, and I found my issue.  The fix is to add the second line here:

KEI_EXCLUDED_MANUFACTURERS
{
	manufacturer = Station Science Directorate
	manufacturer = Wild Blue Industries
}

I'll put in  PR.

Edit: PR created.

Edited by DStaal

I'm having the same problem as the others, with the window not popping up.

What exactly is causing that? Should I just add every "agent" in any mods to the excludedmanufactureres.cfg?
I think this (below) is the error from my ksp.log.
I've added the Tantares manufacturer to the exluded list, and added this experiment to the excluded list. Same error in ksp.log each tim e

[LOG 17:12:50.371] [UIMasterController]: ShowUI
[WRN 17:12:51.645] [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id tantaresTelemetryReport
[EXC 17:12:51.654] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KEI.KEI.<GainScience>m__8 (.ScienceExperiment x)
    System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateWhereIterator>c__Iterator1D`1[ScienceExperiment].MoveNext ()
    KEI.KEI.GainScience (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 experiments, Boolean analyze)
    KEI.KEI.ShowMainWindow ()
    ToolbarControl_NS.ToolbarControl.SetButtonActive ()
    ToolbarControl_NS.ToolbarControl.doOnTrue ()
    KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncherButton.OnTrue (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData data, CallType callType)
    UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall`2[UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData,KSP.UI.UIRadioButton+CallType].Invoke (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData args0, CallType args1)
    UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent`2[UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData,KSP.UI.UIRadioButton+CallType].Invoke (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData arg0, CallType arg1)
    KSP.UI.UIRadioButton.SetState (State state, CallType callType, UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData data, Boolean popButtonsInGroup)
    KSP.UI.UIRadioButton.ToggleState (CallType callType, UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData data)
    KSP.UI.UIRadioButton.UnityEngine.EventSystems.IPointerClickHandler.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerClickHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()
[LOG 17:12:55.504] ocean node ondestroy

Also in ksp.log:

[LOG 17:23:29.303] [UIMasterController]: ShowUI
[ERR 17:23:29.724] ToolbarControl: WARNING: RegisterMod, LoadedScene: MAINMENU, called too late for: KEI_NS, Kerbin Environmental Institute, button may not be registered properly

Edited by tjsnh

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, tjsnh said:

Umm, that's the KSP.log, not the output_log.txt.  Next time do the output_log.txt, it has slightly different information which is somewhat more helpful.  Or, send both, can never hurt.

I haven't been able to reproduce this, but I do see the method it appears to be happening in.  I've added some debugging code, I'd appreciate it if you replaced the mod with this version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgjntlcjy8k3mqy/KEI-Debug.zip?dl=0

Run the same game, get to where it happened before, then exit and send me both log files.  In this case, could you also send me the save file, not sure if I'll need it but can't hurt.

Assuming I found the right place, you should be able to see the window by clicking on the button.  Grab a screenshot of that and send it along as well.

Thanks 

4 minutes ago, tjsnh said:

Whatever that update did, it seems to have fixed the problem.

Window came right up with normal behavior.

Logs just for good measure ; https://www.dropbox.com/s/0r6ko5gtqxnakbl/logs.zip?dl=0

As I said, I put in some debugging.  Use this until I get a full update out

I believe the issue is this:

[WRN 08:43:05.680] [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id tantaresTelemetryReport
[ERR 08:43:05.689] KEI: Exception found getting next experiment, message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

but I haven't yet found where the tantaresTelemetryReport experiment is located.  I installed the two Tantares mods, but that didn't show up.

I may need to do a full install of all the mods you use to find this, unless you have an idea where it is?

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

[WRN 08:43:05.680] [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id tantaresTelemetryReport
[ERR 08:43:05.689] KEI: Exception found getting next experiment, message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

but I haven't yet found where the tantaresTelemetryReport experiment is located.  I installed the two Tantares mods, but that didn't show up.

I may need to do a full install of all the mods you use to find this, unless you have an idea where it is?

Its listed in the tantares resources.cfg I think, but I believe I removed it as a troubleshooting step. I couldnt find it either.
@Beale   ??

3 minutes ago, tjsnh said:

Its listed in the tantares resources.cfg I think, but I believe I removed it as a troubleshooting step. I couldnt find it either.
@Beale   ??

The telemetry report is currently unused and due to be removed. 

Sorry, I am out of the loop, what is this? What can I do to help.

39 minutes ago, Beale said:

The telemetry report is currently unused and due to be removed. 

Sorry, I am out of the loop, what is this? What can I do to help.

Thanks for replying.

Seems that the experiment definition is causing an error in KSP, when KEI is trying to look at all experiments.  I guess the best thing to do is to release an update.

Strangely enough, while   @tjsnhis getting the error, I am not in my test install.

So, either I tell KEI to ignore this one experiment, or ignore all experiments from the Tantares Manufacturer, which I just realized is useless for non-english installs.

@tjsnh can you try this please:

Reinstall the released version, then edit the file ExcludedExperiments.cfg and add the following two lines:

experiment = tantares_telemetry_report
	experiment = tantares_radiometer_scan

before the ending brace, and try again?

Thanks for replying.

Seems that the experiment definition is causing an error in KSP, when KEI is trying to look at all experiments.  I guess the best thing to do is to release an update.

Strangely enough, while   @tjsnhis getting the error, I am not in my test install.

So, either I tell KEI to ignore this one experiment, or ignore all experiments from the Tantares Manufacturer, which I just realized is useless for non-english installs.

@tjsnh can you try this please:

Reinstall the released version, then edit the file ExcludedExperiments.cfg and add the following two lines:

experiment = tantares_telemetry_report
	experiment = tantares_radiometer_scan

before the ending brace, and try again?

Okay thanks, I will do so in time.

I think the better workaround though is to ignore experiments not used on any parts if this is the case. It hints of a bit of a code smell and I'm sure Tantares isn't alone in this.

Edited by Beale

2 hours ago, Beale said:

Okay thanks, I will do so in time.

I think the better workaround though is to ignore experiments not used on any parts if this is the case. It hints of a bit of a code smell and I'm sure Tantares isn't alone in this.

The problem is that its KSP which is getting the error, not KEI. I asked him to test with two lines telling KEI to ignore those experiments, waiting to see the results.

• 1 month later...

@linuxgurugamer, from what I've seen, I think KEI is reporting and returning all KSC Science.  However, I keep hearing others mentioning other KSC Science, either biomes or situations.  I suspect this is from previous versions of KSP when KSC Science may have been different.  I would like to confirm this with you to the extend you can do so from what you know about KEI and KSP Science.

My recent recce of the KSP 1.6 KSC area and structure biomes at all facility upgrade levels 1 to 3 match what KEI gives.   Some sources like the Wiki appear to not have been properly updated, but my findings agree with KEI.

I've not done a low-altitude aerial survey, but I think all the KSC Science is Situation Surface Landed.  Even at low altitudes, the Situation is reported as Shores Flying Low when not in contact with the ground or structures.  I would have to test experiments to be sure, but I would think the Science returned would also be reported as for Shores Flying Low.

So, could KEI be missing some KSC Science with Situation Flying Low?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Having a strange bug that *seems* related to KEI, or at least gets activated by using KEI - sometimes. When in the KSC scene, occasionally clicking on KEI, then running all of the science experiments makes it impossible to click on any KSC buildings afterwards, and the ESC key doesn't work either. Can still click on toolbar icons, though, and interact with them.

Loggery: https://www.dropbox.com/s/inxr5wakmfkyd8k/KSP_KEInoclicky.log?dl=0

On 5/23/2019 at 7:55 PM, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Having a strange bug that *seems* related to KEI, or at least gets activated by using KEI - sometimes. When in the KSC scene, occasionally clicking on KEI, then running all of the science experiments makes it impossible to click on any KSC buildings afterwards, and the ESC key doesn't work either. Can still click on toolbar icons, though, and interact with them.

Loggery: https://www.dropbox.com/s/inxr5wakmfkyd8k/KSP_KEInoclicky.log?dl=0

Check to see if the input locks are set.  Not at a computer right now, but this sounds like that

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 10:12 AM, Quoniam Kerman said:

Where is the output log btw?

KEI seems not compatible with Breaking Ground DLC.

It works perfectly until I unlock the first BG surface experiments and then when I click on KEI icon, it pops a Null Ref Exp...

A link to how to find the output log is in my sig.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.