Seriouly, have you debug the Enhanced Edition ?

8 hours ago, darax said:

it could be,  I'm suspicious that they are hitting the same artificial save file limit as the FTE port. 

it's frustrating, but this first release is miles ahead of FTE's first attempt, so that give me hope.

Dunno, with the FTE port you got the impression it had been tested by actually playing it, just not for very long - the controls worked but things started to fall over over time, saves corrupting etc.

with this version you get the impression all the _code_ has been tested, but its not actually been _played_ - hence basic control failures

43 minutes ago, Leopard said:

with this version you get the impression all the _code_ has been tested, but its not actually been _played_ - hence basic control failures

Yeah. Exactly. I totally understand if there is some rare bug. But if I play two afternoons and encounter same (similar) bug so many times, there is no way, the tester did not noticed it after months of testing. And considering the whole story of this game release I would suspect taht even Squad played it at least for a while to see what is going to be released this time.

Honestly I believe these were known bugs, but the game has been released anyway (to meet some contract  deadline or who knows why) with plan to wing it a fix it later. There is no way that after year of internal testing by Blitz, the quality control by Squad and certification proces by MS and multiple PS divisions (as learned during last released, the EU and US is certified separately) all these bugs were not encountered. It has been tested by at least 4 different companies!

Edited by Agarwel

8 hours ago, Agarwel said:

...and certification proces by MS and multiple PS divisions (as learned during last released, the EU and US is certified separately) all these bugs were not encountered. It has been tested by at least 4 different companies!

I want to preface this by saying I'm not a developer and have no inside knowledge of the certification process on consoles, but based on what I've seen with KSP and other games I feel pretty confident that the console certification process does zero general testing for bugs. It seems they only test whether the software launches and whether it violates any system interaction restrictions. Basically, it seems that certification process is only there to protect the console from bad software, not the customer.

I'm not defending consoles, Sony, Microsoft, or buggy port work in any way. I just wanted to clear up a misconception about the certification process. Squad said they were testing this release in many of the Weeklys leading up to this release. As such, it's surprising the amount of issues people have encountered, from lack of information, to unintuitive or conflicting controls, to actual bugs. I'd say the lack of information and problematic controls are the worst offenders, because those issues are not hard to find and resolve.

You know, this might have been a smart move on Squad/Blit’s part. By not doing any actual QA by playing the game on console, they made it to where they could release the port earlier. Essentially, we are the (unpaid) QA testers. With the amount of people playing and giving feedback I’d bet that they are finding bugs faster than they could have dreamed of had they conventionally done the QA themselves. They saved money and we got our (semi-complete) Enhanced Edition earlier. 

Seriouly, have you debug this thread's title??

Anyway, the answer is yes, they tested the console port. SQUAD was unusually transparent about the testing process, naming specific bugs that were found and fixed before release in the Weeklies, which I don't think they've ever done for PC:

On 9/1/2017 at 8:05 PM, SQUAD said:
For instance, some of the issues resolved this week include a bug that was triggered when trying to overwrite a save file with the same name while in flight, the ‘Quicksave As..’ window would become then indefinitely stuck on screen. But don’t you worry, the issue was fixed and now you’ll be able to use the “Quicksave As…” feature under those circumstances without worrying about this issue. Another fixed issue involved the Crew Management controls remaining active when the Pause menu was opened and it would clear/fill all the vessel’s seats when trying to close the Pause menu. The PS4 build also had a bug that involved the launchpad appearing as destroyed/damaged after repairing it several times. Repairing it and heading to the VAB to launch a vessel would prompt the 'out of service’ message every time. While on the KSC and after repairing the building, trying to launch a vessel would put it on a destroyed launchpad.
On 9/8/2017 at 9:03 PM, SQUAD said:
A couple of examples include a bug that caused engine particles for the CR-7 RAPIER engine to disappear, and similarly one where aero and thermal effects disappeared when zooming out.
On 9/15/2017 at 8:01 PM, SQUAD said:
Furthermore, in the latest build that came out, various issues with flight input, trim and autopilot were fixed, as well as a bug that made the ‘Cursor Mode’ unavailable when viewing the KSPedia while inside the Vehicle Assembly Building or Space-plane Hangar.
On 9/29/2017 at 9:40 PM, SQUAD said:

One of the critical issues involved an exception error thrown when entering MiniSettings from the Pause menu, which locked up the game until it was rebooted. The other one was a bug that made the game crash/freeze after a while when the player launched several vessels into orbit around Kerbin. Once one crash occurred, more frequent crashes would follow even when not yet in orbit. In addition to those critical bugs, there were also minor fixes, including an input device issue, which prevented presets changes on horizontal movements after selecting the controller presets in the settings screen.

On 10/6/2017 at 8:11 PM, SQUAD said:
In other news this week, we received a new build for the console version of KSP, which incorporated improvements to the controller mapping and solved a few issues thanks to the conjoint effort of the external testers, Blitworks and the QA team. Some of the issues fixed within the latest build include a critical bug that locked up the game when the “Load Save” option in the Pause Menu was selected and forced testers to perform a game reboot to continue. Other minor issues were solved too, like one where the “Toggle Helmet Lights” binding in one of the controllers also activated RCS.
On 10/20/2017 at 8:00 PM, SQUAD said:
Some noteworthy fixes in the last builds include a bug that caused a severe performance drop for a brief period  when players entered the Tracking Station from the Launchpad and then returned to the Space Center. Another issue addressed was triggered when a player attempted to delete a save from the Resume Game Menu, instead of deleting the save, accepting the deletion would open the save file instead. A issue regarding the controller inputs was fixed too. This one was triggered when attempting to edit parts on a craft; with the new mapping the D-Pad left and right allows the player to select the parts to edit via a highlight. The top face button (PS4 triangle or XB Y) can then be used to scroll through the editor gizmos. Attempting to cancel this operation failed and left some buttons unresponsive.
On 10/27/2017 at 8:21 PM, SQUAD said:
Some of the most interesting improvements we saw in the latest build, include a bug that threw an exception when trying to switch controller presets from the mini settings, and another one that inverted the camera axes when a particular preset was selected. Inverting the axes in the mini settings menu fixed the issue in the Editors, but broke it everywhere else.
On 11/10/2017 at 10:20 PM, SQUAD said:
A noticeable issue fixed this week includes a bug that prevented testers from placing maneuver nodes in the map view while using one specific controller preset. Luckily, this one was detected and solved before these version saw the light of day, so you won’t have to worry about it.
On 11/17/2017 at 7:55 PM, SQUAD said:
The first one caused the loss of control of the craft, specifically on the Pitch, Roll and Yaw function, while Map View was active. And the second one caused the loss of stage and Navball functionality after selecting ‘Revert To Launch’ via the Cursor Mode after a crash landing - something that is bound to happen when playing KSP, so luckily it was found and fixed.
On 11/24/2017 at 9:19 PM, SQUAD said:

An example include a minor bug that was triggered when zooming in and out in one specific controller preset with the reticle unlocked and it caused a momentum that kept the camera moving towards or away from the object even after the buttons were released.

They didn't catch everything, but this is a misrepresentation:

44 minutes ago, Homedawgian said:

By not doing any actual QA by playing the game on console

appeared not to have caught basic functionality like buttons not working, that they confirmed very quickly when it was pointed out to them, almost as if none of the development team had ever tried to use them is what provides the scepticism about the test process.

This just has the feel of a beta release, and an early one at that, where such basic issues get through, stuff like a save file falling over under certain obscure conditions or a problem that manifests itself when two 300+ part craft try to dock you could perhaps understand. but basic control functions not working?

This is before you get into the issue of "press B for more info" and "press B to exit" on the same dialog, which suggests that specific dialog was never tested, but also suggests something somewhat lacking in the design specification stage

27 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Seriouly, have you debug this thread's title??

Anyway, the answer is yes, they tested the console port. SQUAD was unusually transparent about the testing process, naming specific bugs that were found and fixed before release in the Weeklies, which I don't think they've ever done for PC:

They didn't catch everything, but this is a misrepresentation:

Allow me to reword that a bit. “They didn’t use the console itself for their QA”. Clearly they have done some QA but it is blatantly obvious that they didn’t touch career mode with an actual controller on an actual console. It would be insulting them to say that they did because even a complete novice player would have immediately asked questions about recovering a vessel from the Mun, or why they can’t purchase new tech. I know Squad is better than that to miss something so simple. That’s why it’s clear that their QA was done by other means.

19 minutes ago, Homedawgian said:

Allow me to reword that a bit. “They didn’t use the console itself for their QA”.

They reported multiple fixes related to the controller presets, though.

19 minutes ago, Homedawgian said:

Clearly they have done some QA but it is blatantly obvious that they didn’t touch career mode with an actual controller on an actual console.

Fair enough. Maybe the testing was mostly done in sandbox or science mode.

1 minute ago, HebaruSan said:

They reported multiple fixes related to the controller presets, though.

Fair enough. Maybe the testing was mostly done in sandbox or science mode.

Pure speculation here, but the controller presets weren’t necessarily tested in the same environment that we are using them in. They could be using a controller on a developer console/computer and that could have caused some issues to be missed entirely because of subtle differences in coding/software. They worked on this port for around a year and there were some pretty huge bugs that were found in a week or less of players actually playing the game. I’m giving Squad/Blit the benifit of the doubt that they simply didn’t test the game on a basic console/controller setup and probably tested it through some other developer medium. I mean honestly, these bugs aren’t that elusive at all and there has to be some simple reason as to why they were missed. 

Despite having (looking) 550 hours on KSP on Steam (ok, some of those may include a few ion engine powered burns on a probe which I'd come back to the next day)... I finally signed up for an account here to chime in on this.

While the FTE build had plenty that would go wrong eventually... the EE on the XBO has become completely unplayable for me in career mode as I have lost the ability to select sub-components during missions to do important things like make the all important science.

I figure that started last week, about the time I could no longer use the controller to quickly enable SAS, instead having to bring up the cursor and click the on screen button.

I've also encountered the A no longer triggers staging bug, but that is the only one to go away with a closing of the game. The other two persist even when I create a fresh sandbox save.

On the plus side... I didn't pay anything for the EE... but still feel let down after such a long wait after the disappointment that was FTE.

Edited by dahat
specifying platform

4 hours ago, dahat said:

Despite having (looking) 550 hours on KSP on Steam (ok, some of those may include a few ion engine powered burns on a probe which I'd come back to the next day)... I finally signed up for an account here to chime in on this.

While the FTE build had plenty that would go wrong eventually... the EE on the XBO has become completely unplayable for me in career mode as I have lost the ability to select sub-components during missions to do important things like make the all important science.

I figure that started last week, about the time I could no longer use the controller to quickly enable SAS, instead having to bring up the cursor and click the on screen button.

I've also encountered the A no longer triggers staging bug, but that is the only one to go away with a closing of the game. The other two persist even when I create a fresh sandbox save.

On the plus side... I didn't pay anything for the EE... but still feel let down after such a long wait after the disappointment that was FTE.

I’m right there with ya, bud. KSP is way too good of a game to be teased on us like this. Let’s just hope it doesn’t take yet another year. I’m pretty close to becoming dead inside ;.;

Do you guys get notified by Sony whenever a crash report (the screenshot and video clip after a game crashes) is submitted to PSN on the PS4? Just wondering how much they keep you in the loop.

Please make it so that we can simply customize every button/action to whatever controller button or combo we want, like War Thunder does. The camera and maneuvering controls are infuriating and counterintuitive.

8 hours ago, kevnuke said:

Do you guys get notified by Sony whenever a crash report (the screenshot and video clip after a game crashes) is submitted to PSN on the PS4? Just wondering how much they keep you in the loop.

Nope, u send the Report and dont get any info's about what's happening with that. 

IT say's Thank you if u submit

WARNING* ps4 version becomes more and more unplayable the further you go.

The time warp bug has made the game unplayable. Essentially I am in career mode with the last 2 tiers (or so) in the science tree left to go. I am on my way to Duna with a flyby of Ike. Along the way the time warp bug was getting worse and worse (You can't save your game, return to SC or main menu). It is at the point now whenever I time warp the bug happens. I am stuck in the game with a satellite on approach to a maneuver around Duna.

Edited by Space Station 4 Crash

Hey guys,

Got a bug report for you.

Console: Xbox One.

What happened: Rescued Kerbal on EVA can be recovered safely without needing to enter rescue vehicle or ride it back to Kerbin. Just bring up the game menu and choose Recover vessel.

What I expected to happen: Serena Kerman says, 'Hey wise guy, you need to research Transporter technology before I can beam down to Kerbin.' In other words, Recover vessel should not be available for EVA Kerbals unless they're standing on Kerbin.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Accept a contract to rescue a stranded Kerbal.
  2. Send a rescue ship to rescue the Kerbal.
  3. Rendezvous with the stranded Kerbal's ship.
  4. Switch to stranded Kerbal's ship when in range.
  5. EVA the Kerbal.
  6. Bring up the game menu and choose Recover vessel.

15 hours ago, MarvinKosh said:

Hey guys,

Got a bug report for you.

Console: Xbox One.

What happened: Rescued Kerbal on EVA can be recovered safely without needing to enter rescue vehicle or ride it back to Kerbin. Just bring up the game menu and choose Recover vessel.

What I expected to happen: Serena Kerman says, 'Hey wise guy, you need to research Transporter technology before I can beam down to Kerbin.' In other words, Recover vessel should not be available for EVA Kerbals unless they're standing on Kerbin.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Accept a contract to rescue a stranded Kerbal.
  2. Send a rescue ship to rescue the Kerbal.
  3. Rendezvous with the stranded Kerbal's ship.
  4. Switch to stranded Kerbal's ship when in range.
  5. EVA the Kerbal.
  6. Bring up the game menu and choose Recover vessel.

Had similar here, not just EVA Kerbals but entire space craft being recoverable. Its not 100% of the time, but something internally loses track of if you should be able to recover or not and then you can either recover everything or recover nothing (the former isn't game breaking as such, the later most certainly is)

Combined with the other control issues I'd suggest a serious look needs to be taken at what appears to be a state engine inside the code (read somewhere the mod API is "stateful" which is a bad design anyway) as I think a lot of these issues are a result of something not updating a memory structure correctly somewhere

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.