1.3.1 Rare tourist missions bug: tourist not spawning.

As title suggests, on rare occasions (probably less than once per 100 missions) when accepting tourist missions the tourists don't all appear in the list of Kerbals to put in a craft. I've only ever accepted these missions in large packs while declining everything else, possibly related.

I use no mods, ever. Happens on both 32 and 64bit. No apparent connection with CPU stress or anything else relating to hardware. Happens regardless of starting KSP 20 minutes ago or 20 hours ago.

To reproduce with relative ease and speed: start new career profile, get only just far enough to start spawning tourist missions for sub orbital launches. Accept these in swarms to launch a whole bunch in the same craft and just leap out to like 71.000m and cash in, decline all other missions, sooner or later one of the missions just won't complete because a tourist hasn't spawned and could not be put in the craft. (Using existing saves also works but involves repeatedly saving and loading which could cause all manner of other issues with the game, completing the missions is the least likely to cause unrelated problems and the farther you've gone from Kerbin the farther you need to send the tourists.)

The only thing I can think of to check for while trying to identify the bug is that maybe they can't spawn because their names overlap with an existing Kerbal, not much but maybe a starting point. I usually discover the problem long after already cashing in a group so haven't really seen if this is possible.

EDIT: The bug appears not to happen if the missions are accepted slowly and all other missions are declined slowly, not entirely sure but this way it didn't happen even after around 500 missions in a row which is enough to suspect that it's a relevant factor.

Edited by Rejected Spawn
Additional information.

Finally got a save file that has one of the bugged tourists and the mission hasn't been accepted yet. This site has a confusing bug report system, if anyone asks me to upload the save somewhere specific I will but don't expect me to bother with this bug any more than I already have otherwise.

I had the same problem, although not rarely, but very often. (most likely because i am using mods) It seems that its all about the names of your tourists, so if two tourists from different contracts have the same name, only one will spawn. Maybe the game names tourists randomly so you just increase the chance that it happens, and maybe it tries to avoid giving the same name twice, but if you have to many tourists, it runs out of names and has to use one twice. (you could try that out and see if there is a maximal number which you could just avoid, although thats not really a solution i guess)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.