Saving games with missing mod parts

If you try opening a save game that contains existing flights that contain mod parts for which the corresponding mod isn't instaled

• The save loads
  • You get an error for every craft containing missing parts
  • It automatically overwrites your save 

You go "oops, I forgot to install the burger mod", exit and install the mod and start the game again

Too late! the game saved itself without the mod parts and your flying burgers are lost and gone forever.

So the suggestion is that loading a game with missing mod parts disables auto saving, at least before the player has confirmed that they are OK with it.

12 minutes ago, tomf said:

If you try opening a save game that contains existing flights that contain mod parts for which the corresponding mod isn't instaled

• The save loads
  • You get an error for every craft containing missing parts
  • It automatically overwrites your save 

You go "oops, I forgot to install the burger mod", exit and install the mod and start the game again

Too late! the game saved itself without the mod parts and your flying burgers are lost and gone forever.

So the suggestion is that loading a game with missing mod parts disables auto saving, at least before the player has confirmed that they are OK with it.

Use one of your persistent.sfs back up saves?

(The game creates them automatically for you, in your savegame folder, under "Backup.")

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2018 at 10:11 AM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Use one of your persistent.sfs back up saves?

(The game creates them automatically for you, in your savegame folder, under "Backup.")

Okay, and I'll save this and reference it if I need it again - but why not something like the OP said? It'd be simple to just add a "Hey, I'magonna wipe this list of ships out, do you want to continue or not?"

26 minutes ago, InterplanetJanet said:

Okay, and I'll save this and reference it if I need it again - but why not something like the OP said? It'd be simple to just add a "Hey, I'magonna wipe this list of ships out, do you want to continue or not?"

I wasn't dismissing his idea, just offering him a solution he could possibly implement right now.

I actually think it's a pretty good suggestion...not sure why I didn't say so originally tbh?

Was prolly on my phone or something, I hate typing on those those tiny little touch screen keys!

28 minutes ago, InterplanetJanet said:

Absolutely true but it has always been this way for as long as I can remember, about 5 years now. And over those years what you're suggesting has been suggested many times: a simple confirmation window giving you the option to delete and continue. Or quit to menu without saving.
But since we're talking about SQUAD you might as well talk to a brick wall. You'll sooner get a responds from that.

3 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I wasn't dismissing his idea, just offering him a solution he could possibly implement right now.

I actually think it's a pretty good suggestion...not sure why I didn't say so originally tbh?

I'm gonna lay the blame on Bad Persons in other forums. =)  Curse them!

Tex_NL: yeah, I lost interest in KSP in 2015, partially due to losses incurred when switching mods.  Hrmmmm... perhaps I should write a request in the Add-Ons forum area...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.