[1.7]WetterWings

Rocket In My Pocket

ooSQ6QR.jpg

WetterWings is a small module manager patch I wrote for myself a while back to add fuel storage to all the stock wings.

As a bit of an airplane enthusiast in real life, I found it very odd that only a few of the largest stock wings were capable of holding fuel. Most planes, of all sizes store fuel in the wings, it's just a great place for it!

To that end, this adds a very reasonable amount of liquid fuel storage to all the stock wing pieces. Since they are so thin, I've kept the numbers on the low side. I think you'll find the values are quite balanced, as I calculated each wing's total storage capacity as a function of it's lifting surface value.

Changelog-

Version 1- First release.

Dependencies- Module Manager of course!

Download- 

https://spacedock.info/mod/1665/WetterWings

(Also available on CKAN)

Instructions- Toss it in your "Gamedata" folder.

License under spoiler:

Spoiler

Copyright (c) 2016 Deran Berhaupt "Rocket In My Pocket"

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

As always, feedback/comments/criticism are all welcome!

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

20 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

I have a similar patch.  It is very peculiar that Squad never added fuel to the stock wings.  Besides the model kit wings of course. 

I'll try yours and see how we match up.

I'm gonna assume they figured with the "wing-boards" being so thin, they couldn't hold fuel?

However I've compared the wings to the fuel tanks and I feel they have enough internal volume to carry the amount of fuel I've assigned them.

Yes, I'd love to hear your thoughts on balance in comparison to your patch! Did you give them more or less fuel than I did? Did you assign the values on a case by case basis or did you use some sort of metric?

11 hours ago, Godit said:

Very nice. Did you design this to have any particular improvements over other wing tank mods?

Thanks! Nope, like I said; I really just wrote this for myself, for personal use. I looked at a couple of fuel tank mods but they added too many different options for my tastes.

My only goal was to keep it as simple, and as balanced as possible. It adds a "not OP" amount of liquid fuel capacity to stock wings. Nothing more, nothing less.

If we're being perfectly honest here, most of my motivation to upload it was to have more than one mod to add to my signature. Lol. :blush: (However, seeing as it already has 100+ downloads, I'd say it was worth tossing up.)

12 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

(However, seeing as it already has 100+ downloads, I'd say it was worth tossing up.)

I abide by the KISS philosophy so +1 install for me. So would you consider CKAN support for all of your new fans?

1 minute ago, Godit said:

I abide by the KISS philosophy so +1 install for me. So would you consider CKAN support for all of your new fans?

Thanks! (Like I said, I didn't get into this to have a "popular" mod, but I must admit; it's very gratifying to see others using it and enjoying it!)

Hmm, It never occurred to me, not being a CKAN user myself; but that's a very good idea!

I'll look into it, thank you for the suggestion good sir. :)

1 hour ago, LitaAlto said:

If this is a MM patch, would you consider adding it to Community Database of Module Manager Patches for Stock KSP?

I had no idea such a thing existed, thank you for bringing it to my attention!

I'm honestly surprised there isn't anything similar already on there?

Consider it on my "to-do" list! :wink:

Spoiler

zOglDCh.png

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

On 1/20/2018 at 9:28 AM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I'm gonna assume they figured with the "wing-boards" being so thin, they couldn't hold fuel?

However I've compared the wings to the fuel tanks and I feel they have enough internal volume to carry the amount of fuel I've assigned them.

Yes, I'd love to hear your thoughts on balance in comparison to your patch! Did you give them more or less fuel than I did? Did you assign the values on a case by case basis or did you use some sort of metric?

Sorry for the delay.  I'm not playing much right now, as I'm waiting for 1.4, so I can get a final update of all the mods for 1.3.1 and make my ultimate 1.3.1 version of KSP.  

I'm using this patch to add fuel based on mass.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface]]
{
	!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]{}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface],!MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[ModuleControlSurface],!RESOURCE[*]]
{
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = LiquidFuel
		amount = #$../mass$
		maxAmount = #$../mass$
		@amount *= 200
		@maxAmount *= 200
	}
}

This gives the delta wing 40 liquid fuel, small delta 10, etc.

Edited by klgraham1013

2 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Sorry for the delay.  I'm using this patch to add fuel based on mass.

This gives the delta wing 40 liquid fuel, small delta 10, etc.

Hah, same as mine really!

I suppose I coulda' guessed that basing it off mass vs. lifting surface would give similar results though. I notice you excluded control surfaces? Me too; but I argued with myself about it for a while.

Nice to know we felt the same about the balance! I was sorta concerned I'd get a lot of feedback about it not being enough fuel. 

5 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Hah, same as mine really!

I suppose I coulda' guessed that basing it off mass vs. lifting surface would give similar results though. I notice you excluded control surfaces? Me too; but I argued with myself about it for a while.

Nice to know we felt the same about the balance! I was sorta concerned I'd get a lot of feedback about it not being enough fuel. 

The way I see it, jet engines are already really fuel efficient.  No need to add tons of fuel.

I've been playing with this or similar configs for some time now.  I can't imagine designing planes the stock way now. 

Edited by klgraham1013

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This oversight also struck me as odd when I started building aircraft; I dislike that the stock game has so few "liquid fuel only" tanks, and this helps redress that balance for the vehicles most likely to use just liquid fuel, so thank you for your efforts!

On 1/25/2018 at 3:26 PM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I just had the nerves to alter the config from @klgraham1013 a bit, how about this?
(I didn't test it, just edited it in Notepad++ while KSP was already launching, you know, some time waiting, checking posts etc.)

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface]]
{
	!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]{}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface],!MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[ModuleControlSurface],!RESOURCE[*]]
{
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = LiquidFuel
		amount = #$../mass$
		maxAmount = #$../mass$
		@amount *= 200
		@maxAmount *= 200
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleControlSurface]]
{
	!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]{}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleControlSurface],!MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface],!RESOURCE[*]]
{
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = LiquidFuel
		amount = #$../mass$
		maxAmount = #$../mass$
		@amount *= 50
		@maxAmount *= 50
	}
}

// the FAR section

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[FARWingAerodynamicModel]]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:AFTER[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
	!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]{}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[FARWingAerodynamicModel],!MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[FARControllableSurface],!RESOURCE[*]]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:AFTER[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = LiquidFuel
		amount = #$../mass$
		maxAmount = #$../mass$
		@amount *= 200
		@maxAmount *= 200
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[FARControllableSurface]]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:AFTER[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
	!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]{}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[FARControllableSurface],!MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[FARWingAerodynamicModel],!RESOURCE[*]]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:AFTER[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = LiquidFuel
		amount = #$../mass$
		maxAmount = #$../mass$
		@amount *= 50
		@maxAmount *= 50
	}
}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.