RnD Individual Parts

TranceaddicT

Album nEjms will appear when post is submitted

So, I can't believe I'm saying this but, is there a setting I'm not aware of that let's us purchase individual parts instead of glomming them all at once when researched in RnD?

I was watching a video of a KSPer playing an noticed that he did not have all the parts in a node available.   How does this happen? 

For me, when I go to RnD and click on an unresearched node I get a blue bar with the science symbol indicating I need to spend X science point.  When I do that ALL the parts are, thereafter, "owned".  

This player has a green bar with the funds symbol and has purchased individual parts marked "owned" while others remain and require funds to purchase.

My RnD

QELEnga.png

His RnD

VnmMAIt.png

Edited by TranceaddicT

27 minutes ago, Jas0n said:

That feature adds both a science cost and a funds cost to unlocking parts in R&D.

You sure? Last time I used it, and that was fairly recently, the parts only had a funds cost. First you unlock the node as a whole with science (just like before), and then - instead of all parts getting added to the editor - you have to purchase each part for funds.

26 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

You sure? Last time I used it, and that was fairly recently, the parts only had a funds cost. First you unlock the node as a whole with science (just like before), and then - instead of all parts getting added to the editor - you have to purchase each part for funds.

That's what I meant. Sorry that I wasn't clear.

I find it so useful in my current game. I mean, partially, because unbought parts still appear in the editor, only grayed out, which is irritating. Come on, if I didn't buy them, I most likely won't use them, why they are here then?

SQUAD, PLZ.

13 hours ago, dangerhamster said:

I quite like the greyed out parts. I can pick which parts of a node I want and pick up something that may be useful later. Perhaps an option to show/hide unbought parts?

There's a way to do this, but I'm away from my computer atm and don't remember which mod is needed.

On 1/21/2018 at 3:50 AM, The Aziz said:

I find it so useful in my current game. I mean, partially, because unbought parts still appear in the editor, only grayed out, which is irritating. Come on, if I didn't buy them, I most likely won't use them, why they are here then?

SQUAD, PLZ.

They're there to expose the unlock purchase mechanic, so you don't have to go out of editor and into the science tree => the specific node if you find you now want to use a part you didn't buy when you first unlocked the node (perhaps to save cash for a building upgrade, or because you didn't need it yet).

1 hour ago, Archgeek said:

They're there to expose the unlock purchase mechanic, so you don't have to go out of editor and into the science tree => the specific node if you find you now want to use a part you didn't buy when you first unlocked the node (perhaps to save cash for a building upgrade, or because you didn't need it yet).

This is perfect exhibit showing how hard is game development. Some players want it still there just in case they might want it, and some just know they won't use them (or they see no problem with going back to look for them in r&d, like myself) so their presence is unwanted. There must be a compromise. And probably the best way to do it is to make it toggleable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.