Eeloo Exploration Challenge!

DAL59

Rules:

Land a kerbal on Eeloo, then return to Kerbin.

1. You may preposition anything at Eeloo(ex. ISRU), without counting against time.  You must actually fly those missions though.  Time is measured from the first crewed launch.

2. You must have at least 2 seats per kerbal, and at least 2 kerbals.  Only 1 must land on Eeloo.  No spending a decade in a seat!  Does not apply to detachable landers.

3. No refueling on Minimus.

4. All mods allowed, except warp drive and tweakscale.  

5. Each launch must be less than 200 tons.  Total of all launches must be under 2000 tons. 

Scoring is based on how little time it takes between the launch of the crew and the return to Kerbin.  Get the lowest score.

Bonuses:

Only 1 launch: -400 days

Prepositioned Ascent Vehicle: -200 days

ISRU at Eeloo: -200 days

Apollo style: -200 days

Artificial gravity hermes style: -200 days

No nukes or ions: -300 days  

Fully recovered: -400

Use a gravity assist: -200

Bring a rover: -200

Preposition a base: -200

Bring a base: -300

Make it look like the BFR: -100

Go to pluto in RP-0 instead: -500

Leaderboard:

1. @Marschig1176.22 points

2. @Matt Lowne- 2394

Edited by DAL59

31 minutes ago, Marschig said:

Why do we need 4 seats for 2 kerbals?

Sanity reasons? If I had to spend a couple decades in space, I would enjoy having a second seat all to myself. Of course, I would prefer more than just a second seat, but two seats is definitely better than one.

I'm thinking of taking acrack at this but I've got a few questions about the rules.

"All mods allowed, except warp drive and tweakscale." This seems a bit open to abuse as I'm sure there are some insanely efficient parts mod engines out there. In fact someone could in theory just write themselves a mod which gives infinite fuel.

"Bring a base". What constitutes a base?

"Apollo style". How close does that have to be, can a kerbal be sent to the surface in a command seat based lander and EVA's back to the orbital vehicle, or do the two vehicles need to dock?

"ISRU at Eeloo". This gives the entrant an advantage, but it gives a points boost... so I'm a bit confused by that.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, purpleivan said:

"Apollo style". How close does that have to be, can a kerbal be sent to the surface in a command seat based lander and EVA's back to the orbital vehicle, or do the two vehicles need to dock?

Either

2 hours ago, purpleivan said:

"Bring a base". What constitutes a base

Any extra habitation with a power source.  

3 hours ago, purpleivan said:

"ISRU at Eeloo". This gives the entrant an advantage, but it gives a points boost... so I'm a bit confused by that.

It takes time and effort and good engineering to preposition an ascent vehicle.     

On 1/27/2018 at 6:53 AM, Matt Lowne said:

Thanks but why not use one of my better Eeloo missions? :)

Very impressive, but... 80 years.  The score is based on time.  

On 1/20/2018 at 3:12 PM, DAL59 said:

Apollo style: -200 days

Does Apollo style constitute docking a different part of the spacecraft to the front, or just having a detachable lander and rendezvousing back with the main ship? 

EDIT- I will assume the latter.

Edited by Aiden.J

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.