[WIP] Omega482's Dev thread - Omega's Stockalike Structures: No Textures Required >> ALPHA NOW AVAILABLE <<

Omega482

10 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

The observatory. I don't know if you planned to have it open and pan around the sky (or even whether that's possible with KK) similar to how the tracking station does.

@Lack has made cars that move using KK, so I think that should be possible. And the new stock Deep Space Network stations move as well. 

Edited by Starslinger999

11 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

The observatory. I don't know if you planned to have it open and pan around the sky (or even whether that's possible with KK) similar to how the tracking station does.

48 minutes ago, Starslinger999 said:

@Lack has made cars that move using KK, so I think that should be possible. And the new stock Deep Space Network stations move as well. 

Yes, I could put that in. I already modeled the doors open and the dome hollow. But maybe not in the first release. I intend to animate some parts. Some will be animated on click. Others will auto animated. e.g. tracking dishes.

6 hours ago, MajorLeaugeRocketScience said:

Any planned release date?

It will probably be a large finished pack rather than little bits here and there. No timescale right now. Be patient.

Bad news is that yesterday I changed the way the texture set works. It fixes a big visual bug, but means I need to re-texture all of the assets. See the old model on the left and the new on the right.

wSH0QfP.png

So that's going to add even more time before release.

Edited by Omega482

wyjHe8f.jpg

Here's a little family photo!
Good news is that I've juuuust about finished changing all the models in the picture above into the new texture set. As a byproduct of that, I've also managed to cut down on the poly count on the models significantly! maybe by about 1k polys per model.

11 hours ago, Omega482 said:

wyjHe8f.jpg

Here's a little family photo!
Good news is that I've juuuust about finished changing all the models in the picture above into the new texture set. As a byproduct of that, I've also managed to cut down on the poly count on the models significantly! maybe by about 1k polys per model.

Are you using different materials and tileable textures to set up your models? So each model consists of several named submodels which are then assigned a material with a tiled texture in unity? 

I was struggling to rebuild the Kerbin-Side assets, when it comes to the texturing. 

Yup, its practically the same approach used by Bac9, outlined in his dev blog

I started off using a combined texture sheet for a lot of the walls and general building details and then using repeating surfaces to build the models. (Which was pretty dumb, but I'm new to this...). I figured less textures better performance? I was wrong.
That left me with edges on the flat surfaces like in the image further up.

So now I've separated the textures into a couple new sheets. Fixes the lines problem and cuts polys.

Edited by Omega482

1 hour ago, Omega482 said:

Yup, its practically the same approach used by Bac9, outlined in his dev blog

I started off using a combined texture sheet for a lot of the walls and general building details and then using repeating surfaces to build the models. (Which was pretty dumb, but I'm new to this...). I figured less textures better performance? I was wrong.
That left me with edges on the flat surfaces like in the image further up.

So now I've separated the textures into a couple new sheets. Fixes the lines problem and cuts polys.

Thanks for the link. This was new to me. I wish I had known it before I started banging my head against the wall. Texturing parts is so much easier than large buildings. I cannot count the hours I tried a get working UV mappings, that don't look excrements ingame. 

2 minutes ago, Sebastiaz said:

I have another request that could be pretty good. Why not make like a group of trees as a static, so then you can place them wherever you like, and create miniature forests and that, bit like on the KSC++.

I'm laughing really hard right now, I think @Omega482 understands that :D 

Edited by damonvv
I'm working on trees myself too, which are a pain to make.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.