[WIP] Omega482's Dev thread - Omega's Stockalike Structures: No Textures Required >> ALPHA NOW AVAILABLE <<

Omega482

17 minutes ago, MajorLeaugeRocketScience said:

Does this alpha have any runways in it?

Nope.

KSR has runways, but they are only 1700 and 2500m. I was working on one rescaled to 3750m last night as a shuttle landing facility, but my power company failed me and my house lost electricity while I was working.

Edited by theonegalen

The alpha does not have any runways.

But if we're on the subject of runways;

If I were to make a runway. What features would you like to see? I'm really interested in making a wider longer runway for players that like to make massive space planes.

Maybe it should be in the style of the Shuttle Landing Facility?

2 hours ago, Omega482 said:

If I were to make a runway. What features would you like to see? I'm really interested in making a wider longer runway for players that like to make massive space planes.

I think a big SLF-style runway would be pretty cool.

3 hours ago, Omega482 said:

stockalike airport-style runways

SLF would be great. :D

The other thing I would absolutely LOVE is an Edwards AFB / Groom Lake high desert runway. 10000m of flat dry lakebed, with runway markings and taxiways to match!

Although maybe that can be done with DecalMaps...

Edited by theonegalen

3 hours ago, Omega482 said:

I’d say probably a massive 3.5km runway, maybe an X-runway and maybe a short grass runway?

11 hours ago, MajorLeaugeRocketScience said:

It’s really hard to place them at the same height, if it’s even slightly off a sharp bump will rip up a plane

This is correct. This is also why I cannot make runway segments to allow players to assemble runways themselves. There would be too many bumps and it would make the runway unusable.

Runways must be one single piece. 

I think various lengths/widths of runways ought to be included, if runways are planned to be part of the pack. Have XL runways for spaceplanes and shuttles, Large runways for bases intended to receive large aircraft, Medium and Small runways for the other bases. Maybe also have variants that take on terrain colors for those that want to have an Edwards AFB or McMurdo Station on Kerbin, or runways on other planets. I think at the very least a Shuttle Landing Facility and the CCAFS runway should be made, as the KSC Extended mod makes the KSC look like Kennedy.

Also: Thank you so much for this mod. It got me to get my KSP set up for a career playthrough. This is amazing work.

Edited by DJ Reonic

@DJ Reonic Do you have Kerbin-Side Remastered? It has several more runway statics you can use for various places. The two things I'd like is a SLF style runway (as expressed before), and a dirt runway besides the built-in KSC lv1, or one that uses the GrasColor for it's entire surface so I can get it to blend in with the desert/grass for unimproved runways.

19 hours ago, MajorLeaugeRocketScience said:

I’d say probably a massive 3.5km runway, maybe an X-runway and maybe a short grass runway?

12 hours ago, wlr2678 said:

I like the idea of adding short grass or paved runways, which can be installed at small research stations on hills and other kinds of small bases like that.

Grass runways can be easily made with MapDecal in KK. If you need additional runway markers there are standalone runway lights row (from desert airfield).

2 hours ago, Omega482 said:

This is correct. This is also why I cannot make runway segments to allow players to assemble runways themselves. There would be too many bumps and it would make the runway unusable.

Runways must be one single piece. 

Actually I've seen bumps even on stock runway becouse it's colliders are segmented. And random bumps magnitude also increasing with scale of a planet - I'm playing at 3.2xKerbin scale.

Also may I ask for a street light? Short series of street lamp, standalone red signal light from radiomast, and airport light like this:

MOMK2Os.jpg

With such little props and your gorgeous static building truly marvelous things can be done! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, theonegalen said:

@DJ Reonic Do you have Kerbin-Side Remastered? It has several more runway statics you can use for various places. The two things I'd like is a SLF style runway (as expressed before), and a dirt runway besides the built-in KSC lv1, or one that uses the GrasColor for it's entire surface so I can get it to blend in with the desert/grass for unimproved runways.

If someone can tell me Kerbinside Remastered works in a 2.5x system, then I will gladly download it. I haven't played with it yet.

1 hour ago, DJ Reonic said:

If someone can tell me Kerbinside Remastered works in a 2.5x system, then I will gladly download it. I haven't played with it yet.

I haven't tested all the bases yet, but it should do. Keeping bases together in rescales is one of the things KK does automatically now. 

I'm prepping a 2.5x save myself.

Edited by theonegalen

On 1/27/2019 at 5:58 AM, StrongRobert said:

Installed ModuleManager 4.0.1 and put OSS_MM_patch.cfg in the GameData folder yet the buildings still appear gray

Please provide a screenshot of your GameData folder. I'll try and troubleshoot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 4:03 PM, DJ Reonic said:

I think various lengths/widths of runways ought to be included, if runways are planned to be part of the pack. Have XL runways for spaceplanes and shuttles, Large runways for bases intended to receive large aircraft, Medium and Small runways for the other bases. Maybe also have variants that take on terrain colors for those that want to have an Edwards AFB or McMurdo Station on Kerbin, or runways on other planets. I think at the very least a Shuttle Landing Facility and the CCAFS runway should be made, as the KSC Extended mod makes the KSC look like Kennedy.

Also: Thank you so much for this mod. It got me to get my KSP set up for a career playthrough. This is amazing work.

All great points. I will be working on multiple length and width runways. RE: terrain colors, You should be able to change terrain colors using Kerbal Konstructs already, all my statics are set up to do this. 

Hello readers,
Just dropping in to say that I'm still alive and kicking.

Here's some pretty statics that you can expect to find in the next release:
D0wCcnt.png3NzW2AM.png

These are a set of medium-sized aircraft hangars. You can never have enough hangars, right? These ones, in particular, are based off the old hangars at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. Very important hangars in space flight history, Hangar S was used as a training space and a vehicle test space for the Gemini program.

CBOpVTG.pngQLg0hb9.jpg

I've also been working on implementing @Ger_space's brilliant variant switch feature with these hangars and the other existing hangars, Check out the Gfycat below.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.