Omega482

[WIP] Omega482's Dev thread - Omega's Stockalike Structures: No Textures Required >> ALPHA NOW AVAILABLE <<

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Omega482 said:

Where we're going we don't need roads we totally need roads.


7VWB01s.jpg

jVmbEfJ.jpgTdlk8hu.jpg

 

Here's a sneak peek of how you'll be able to connect your bases together!

"Lego Kraft"  I loved ! please launch this mod =D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome mod so far! I was wondering whether you could make some domes like this for off world building?

concept-art-for-a-moon-base.jpegf

I just love building this kind of stuff

screenshot314.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, linecrafter said:

Awesome mod so far! I was wondering whether you could make some domes like this for off world building?

2

Short answer: I'm not currently planning on it.

Long answer: This is a really interesting question and really comes down to what is KSP about? Kerbal is primarily a sandbox exploration game. You launch rockets in an attempt to reach other celestial bodies, everything that goes to that planet or moon has to be lifted to orbit by something that the player has designed. Games are about solving problems and the problem in kerbal is the distance. So Kerbals real gameplay is about the journey. It's about the lengths that you have to go in order to travel these vast distances. If you want to bring a lander, rover or base; It's you who has to get it there.

Currently, if you spawn a building there may be a funds cost. That's all it requires to place a new building. It's just like the building upgrades, you just have to pay for them... All you have to do in game is; Open a menu, click a button, place the static and bam, building done.

You might see what I'm getting at here, I don't think that having spawnable mun bases is compatible with how you're supposed to play the game. There isn't any requirement to transport tonnes of material to the mun to build these things. It would just be a funds cost. You could land a teeny probe on laythe, open KK and then spend some funds and you have a full base there. Its just not balanced.

I know that seems a little unfair, but until the developer of Kerbal Konstructs has implemented a balanced cost system to place buildings on other planets I will only be developing buildings for kerbin. It would be really cool to do. but it needs to work with how the game is played. There are a fantastic amount of base building part mods out there that fill a balanced approach to making settlements on other planets.

Edited by Omega482

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Omega482 said:

Short answer: I'm not currently planning on it.

Long answer: This is a really interesting question and really comes down to what is KSP about? Kerbal is primarily a sandbox exploration game. You launch rockets in an attempt to reach other celestial bodies, everything that goes to that planet or moon has to be lifted to orbit by something that the player has designed. Games are about solving problems and the problem in kerbal is the distance. So Kerbals real gameplay is about the journey. It's about the lengths that you have to go in order to travel these vast distances. If you want to bring a lander, rover or base; It's you who has to get it there.

Currently, if you spawn a building there may be a funds cost. That's all it requires to place a new building. It's just like the building upgrades, you just have to pay for them... All you have to do in game is; Open a menu, click a button, place the static and bam, building done.

You might see what I'm getting at here, I don't think that having spawnable mun bases is compatible with how you're supposed to play the game. There isn't any requirement to transport tonnes of material to the mun to build these things. It would just be a funds cost. You could land a teeny probe on laythe, open KK and then spend some funds and you have a full base there. Its just not balanced.

I know that seems a little unfair, but until the developer of Kerbal Konstructs has implemented a balanced cost system to place buildings on other planets I will only be developing buildings for kerbin. It would be really cool to do. but it needs to work with how the game is played. There are a fantastic amount of base building part mods out there that fill a balanced approach to making settlements on other planets.

Well, how I did it in my career is I sent a base that is capable of constructing stuff, built some ships with it.(you can see it in the background) Then i built this KK base, and made myself pay 100k funds every 100 days as maintenance costs. The reason I want to do this is because building somewhat permanent bases just kills FPS and takes a lot of time (the only resource in KSP that matters) and KK bases don't seem to like going interstellar every single day. I respect your decision and also I can't wait to see the release of your mod!

 

EDIT: i'll still use your props on other planets

MUHAHAHAHAH

Edited by linecrafter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My God, if this isn't exciting, I don't know what is. Cannot wait for a release! I'll be able to pretty up my screenshot sites however much I like! Thanks for keeping everyone in the loop, too. I can't exactly support development monetarily, but if I can in any other way, be sure to let me know, I'd be happy to helped.

Edit: question. I've never used KK before. Will the individual base "parts" snap to a hexagonal grid, or will the user need to simply match them up as best as possible? If not, will it be possible to add a sort of grid feature, or is that simply impossible with KK?

Edited by Mister_Spaceman
Question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mister_Spaceman said:

Will the individual base "parts" snap to a hexagonal grid, or will the user need to simply match them up as best as possible? If not, will it be possible to add a sort of grid feature, or is that simply impossible with KK? 

Hey, Mister_Spaceman! Thanks for the kind words.

In regards to placing the statics in game with KerbalKonstructs; they won't be able to snap together, they can be moved to line up with each other with the WASD keys. It can be a little tricky sometimes, but that's the best we have.
I haven't had too many problems placing statics but it's not really easy sometimes.
I don't know if it would be possible to set up a hexgrid system, however that would be a very cool feature!

Here's a little something I've been working on.
CxhPLc2.png

 

And Yes. You will be able to fly into them.

 

Edited by Omega482

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2018 at 2:55 PM, Omega482 said:

Where we're going we don't need roads we totally need roads.


7VWB01s.jpg

jVmbEfJ.jpgTdlk8hu.jpg

 

Here's a sneak peek of how you'll be able to connect your bases together!

This will end up being the new kerbinside mod!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question..on the roads at least..are attach nodes possible? My thought is..my ocd will kick in for perfect allignment. And attach nodes would make it pretty quick and easy to make road layouts and possibly even building placement. I dont know much about statics tho...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jesusthebird said:

Quick question..on the roads at least..are attach nodes possible? My thought is..my ocd will kick in for perfect allignment. And attach nodes would make it pretty quick and easy to make road layouts and possibly even building placement. I dont know much about statics tho...

I can really see that they would be useful! But They're not possible at the moment with Kerbal Konstructs. I do not develop Kerbal Konstructs, I only create assets to be used with it and so there isn't much I can do about attach nodes. Maybe you could ask in the Konstructs thread?

I do know that there is an update in the works that allows much easier placement using Konstructs. It's going to have draggable handles like the placement gizmos for parts in the VAB editor. Here, take a look.
ShrillIlliterateIbex-size_restricted.gif

https://my.mixtape.moe/eugsyf.mp4

Edited by Omega482

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohh that will definitely make it better. I was terrible using the keyboard to move statics around! I hope it retains the same functions as in the editor!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2018 at 6:20 PM, linecrafter said:

Awesome mod so far! I was wondering whether you could make some domes like this for off world building?

concept-art-for-a-moon-base.jpegf

I just love building this kind of stuff

screenshot314.png

Have you seen the Capsule Corp mod? It might just be what you wanted, though afaik it's currently in wip mode right now.

@Omega482 Really really beautiful statics you've made here. I have been following this thread for a while now and I absolutely love your work. Will be eagerly and patiently waiting for the release! :D
Just one really quick question though.

On 1/23/2018 at 12:18 AM, Omega482 said:

However, I will probably release a configuration file which adds a few upgrades to the KSC.

^Will this be compatible with Kerbin-side (or Escandre's Remastered one)? I assume not, but I just wanted to ask. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, johnkeale said:

Will this be compatible with Kerbin-side (or Escandre's Remastered one)? I assume not, but I just wanted to ask. :)

1

No and maybe. I haven't really got to that point yet.

I haven't even started laying out bases on Kerbin yet. I'm still in the "making a versatile set of statics for base building" stage. Once I'm happy I'll start making the configs for bases.

It won't be compatible with the old Kerbin-side statics. Old Kerbin-side is terrible and nobody should use it. Seriously, It's so badly optimised and terrible quality. Part of the reason I got into making these statics is to provide better mod than kerbinside for KK players.
It might be compatible with Eskandare's Kerbin-Side remastered. But as I said. I haven't laid anything out yet, so I can't really say.

Edited by Omega482

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got to say, your buildings looks amazing.  It always seems to me like the KSC is missing critical components, compared to the real KSC, or Baikonur.  There are just so many more buildings in real life.

Also, that orbiter processing facility looks amazing.  I can't wait for the release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit more progress. Mini tracking station. Excellent for small bases. The dishes move exactly like the ones at KSC, tracking random star points.
Oh, and BTW Kerbal Konstructs can have this behave like a comm net ground station. So its functional too!

RXyeHVP.png

But what if this isn't enough? If you need to up the power of this tracking station? Well, Add some more dishes!

TH9ptHt.png

The Hex tile system means you'll be able to seamlessly place extra dish statics on this complex to upgrade it.

Edited by Omega482

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Omega482 Oh sorry, I meant about the layout, not the statics. I can't uninstall Kerbin-side because it will mess up with my headcanon, though I'm still thinking of a 'story' that could fix that to allow me to uninstall Kerbin-side and install the remastered one.

I got sidetracked there, but yeah, eagerly awaiting for the release! Thanks for all the hard work! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40hz935.png

I would like to introduce to you; The Tier 3 Crawlerway expansion set. These seven statics should be more than enough to connect any VAB to as many launch pads as you want!


EAlO05I.png

Here's a little demonstration of how they're intended to be used. As you can see arranging the segments can produce quite complex designs.

llbZLPK.jpg

The real groundbreaker here is the Split track segment. In real life, crawlerways aren't just a single straight line to the launch pad. They branch off to other facilities and launchpads. With this set of statics, you'll be able to move rockets anywhere you like.

LHgjFHV.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This makes me very happy, both roads and the crawlerway were very neglected details (does the base game's crawler track even make sense?). When modeling is complete, are you planning to create a set of bases like Kerbin-Side, or is that on the user's end?

I doubt it's possible to implement a crawler, @Sebastiaz. It wouldn't be movable as a static, and if it were simply a parts mod, there isn't a way to lock it to the tracks. There may be a workaround, and Omega has started a vehicles pack. :wink:

If you are looking for ideas to implement a crawler, a long-defunct mod called Caterpillar Tracks had this idea for one:

Spoiler

xnU9As3.png

However, given that the tracks are basically rails, it seems much more like a train systems the Russians used

0_cc10f_dd59cb95_orig.jpg

Further images of this concept:

Spoiler

Related image

nmkQhel52H8X7KHXIz7R3oBJyqNabdT_tlCe1JU2sLQ.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s=441d5877c20519d0556c7f79cb02c06266895e5a

(From what I understand from Kerbal Foundries, tank treads are a pain to code, and that model he said he couldn't work with. Instead, just enjoy the images I guess)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2018 at 11:44 AM, Sebastiaz said:

Loving it so far! By any chance will you add the crawler itself?

Hey, so @Z3R0_0NL1N3 did a great job of explaining why crawlers aren't really feasible. It may be possible to have a moving crawler that isn't made with parts... KK does support animated statics! However, it would be difficult to make and likely would make the rocket that was sitting on it explode/slide off. Plus, If I did it that way, it wouldn't work with the track pieces, it would have to be one single section of track for the crawler to move on.

On 11/10/2018 at 11:44 AM, Sebastiaz said:

And maybe some misc vehicles to place. ^^

Go ahead and check out my just-released mod OSUV, Its part versions of the KSC utility vehicles, including some crates and props! I thought that was better than just placable static vehicles because you can actually play with them! dpH1YUH.pnglW9WYQT.png

10 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

When modeling is complete, are you planning to create a set of bases like Kerbin-Side, or is that on the user's end? 

Yes! I will create a couple of bases that will ship with the mod, maybe three or four? But users will also be able to create and customise their own. I feel some players might just want bases that are ready to go rather than having to make them. While others like to build a base for themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ohh men plz make it compatibile with kerbin side remastered.

alco can i now downoad something more than those three landings zones?
if not, when will it be able?

 
 

Edited by Mr Dudu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mr Dudu said:

alco can i now downoad something more than those three landings zones?

The landing zones are the only statics that are currently available. This is a development thread, the other statics are still in development and will be released when they are ready.

6 hours ago, goonster said:

I having trouble installing the mod, the steps provided are hard to follow

Hi, what particular problems are you having? Which steps are too difficult?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.