Scientists... What do they actually do?

Just returned to the game after a long break, decided to start a new career with a few mods (mostly engineer and contract configurator).

I habitually take a scientist on most missions as their description says they boost science return on the vessel they are in. As an experiment I decided to work out how much extra science it was making from my typical Mun mission with and without a scientist. To my surprise I found that my level 1 scientist (its early game OK! :P) was not boosting the science return of my vessels by the advertised amount (5%) and the science return was the same no matter my crew composition.

I have already tried the same test in a new un-modded save with the same result.

Have I misunderstood the scientist description text or am I doing something wrong?

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Snillum101 said:

Just returned to the game after a long break, decided to start a new career with a few mods (mostly engineer and contract configurator).

I habitually take a scientist on most missions as their description says they boost science return on the vessel they are in. As an experiment I decided to work out how much extra science it was making from my typical Mun mission with and without a scientist. To my surprise I found that my level 1 scientist (its early game OK! :P) was not boosting the science return of my vessels by the advertised amount (5%) and the science return was the same no matter my crew composition.

I have already tried the same test in a new un-modded save with the same result.

Have I misunderstood the scientist description text or am I doing something wrong?

Cheers.

As I understand it Scientists used to increase science returns form experiments but don't any longer. So...pretty much they reset experiments and work in science labs.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Scientist

• Scientists no longer boost the amount of science gained from recovering experiments and provide no bonus from transmitting data (although the green text may make it look like they do).

I guess the science return boost has something to do with the laboratory and its totally cheaty way of generating huge amounts of science. 

I usually don't use it as it's totally overpowered. You can unlock the entire techtree with just one or two Minmus landings.

For normal missions, I use scientist as they are the only ones who can reset Goo canisters and material bays.

Edited by Physics Student

Didn't recall about science boosting ability of scientist. So far, what I understand is pilot drives space craft better (obsolete by the time high end probe core becomes available, though they need constant electricity), engineer fix stuff and boost mining efficiency, and scientist for resetting experiment and manning lab module. Better bring them all in a mission just in case

Personally though, I'd rather want to see pilot occupation having another ability that makes them stand out that no other occupation can replicate with flyby wire or probe cores, such as increasing the effect of reaction wheel or better fuel efficiency

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.