DELETED POST...

CodyTheJoker

Giving the previous version away for free would translate into zero sales.  The game has not been free at all in any shape way or form.

This game is already inexpensive as far as video games go.

It's also on 40-50% off sale hilariously frequently.

If this game interests you, at all, you will get your money's worth, even at full price.

57 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

If this game interests you, at all, you will get your money's worth, even at full price.

So very true. Bought it 40 dollars or so 2 years ago, has been very good, burning many hours of my time (perhaps not the best use of it....). In comparison, City Skylines, a game that costs just as much, I have played significantly less.

Not related to the subject of the thread, but when posting someone else's artwork, it's best to attribute them, rather than placing your own name under the image. Otherwise it looks like you're claiming it as your own.

The image in this case being made by @gmiezis

Regarding the original post of this thread, it's been a while since I've seen a forum post that I disliked this much. :mad:  In a nutshell, the core message of the post was "Squad, if you don't like people stealing from you, just give your stuff away, it will make all of the thieves happier."

@CodyTheJoker, since you've admitted to being young and don't have a job yet, let me give you a lesson in how the world ACTUALLY works.  Nothing is free.  Somebody has to pay for it.  Squad isn't a charity, it's a business.  Businesses need to make money to survive.  That's why there is a paid DLC in the works.  Squad needs to keep making a certain amount of money to keep paying their employees, the development/programming hardware, the electricity, etc.  Giving your second-most-up-to-date software version away for free is one step away from deliberate business suicide.

Essentially what you're arguing isn't that KSP should be free, it's that you want someone else to pay for it.  At the end of your post, you say "I thank you for your time developers and community."  If you want to thank the developers, pay them for the product that they are selling; that they've spent years developing, building, and are still supporting.

4 hours ago, CodyTheJoker said:

No one would have to pirate KSP earlier versions.

I hope you don't take this as a frontal assault on you, but piracy is stealing.  No one has to steal, it's a choice.  If you aren't of legal age to get a job, there are always ways to make money for yourself.  When I was in my early teens, there were things I wanted too.  To earn money, I mowed lawns, washed cars, etc.  KSP is a game that promotes problem solving, I'm sure you can solve the problem of getting the money to buy KSP without resorting to online piracy. :)

How does the game "flourish with more players" if those players aren't paying?

That's like saying a flower can "flourish" if no one waters it, just by having a lot of people standing around it "appreciating" it.

Let's be realistic here, only multiplayer games ever adopt the F2P model, and most of those are abysmal failures. It's hard enough to make money off cosmetics purchases and micro-transactions when there is a competitive drive. It's impossible without it. You seem to just be suggesting it go free though, with no framework for them to make any money what so ever? I realize you said you were quite young, but this is a childishly naive idea.

6 minutes ago, CodyTheJoker said:

If you guys dont like the post, stop being sarcastic and give your honest opinion. If you want me to, I will take it down.

Perhaps you could explain your business model to us more clearly then? I'm willing to hear you out, but you haven't actually supplied us with any concrete plan on how the game would generate revenue if it was free? I get that you only want the "last" version to be free, but who's going to pay just to have some minor updates and a whole slew of bugs? Heck, most players are a version behind anyways because of mods they won't give up.

Step 1: Don't charge for the game.

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit!

Step 2 is the one I'm a little fuzzy on.

Step two would be charge for updates. So for example if you were in 1.3.0 and you wanted, aka the version everyone is on 1.3.1, you will be able to buy it once the early access people get to 1.3.2, which will in turn still let the developers make money. However, once the early access folks reach 1.3.3, you will be able to access 1.3.1 freely. Same concept. (kinda)

Edited by CodyTheJoker

29 minutes ago, CodyTheJoker said:

Pirating is the stealing of the game, in which I did not do. We have multiple videos on youtube showing a free version.

There is no free version of 1.2.2. You yourself said "I use the version '1.2.2' Non-Steam which is pretty bad on my part. [...] I would like this to be free as soon as it can be! ", implying you pretty much know what you're doing.

Edited by Harry Rhodan

7 minutes ago, CodyTheJoker said:

Step two would be charge for updates. So for example if you were in 1.3.0 and you wanted, aka the version everyone is on 1.3.1, you will be able to buy it once the early access people get to 1.3.2, which will in turn still let the developers make money. However, once the early access folks reach 1.3.3, you will be able to access 1.3.1 freely. Same concept. (kinda)

Who in their right mind would pay 40$ for a .1 version change? When they can just wait a few months and get it for free. Would you? I wouldn't.

Let me ask you this; if you were making your own game and trying to sell it; is this the model you'd adopt? Does it sound like it would benefit you or hurt you?

I think it says a lot that there isn't a single game in existence that uses a model like this. A bunch of people in suits get paid a lot of money to figure this stuff out, and if they don't think it's a good idea...what would qualify you to disagree?