What computer do you have?!?

Computer...  

39 members have voted

1. 1. RAM

2. 2. Processor.

3. 3. Video Card(too many different types to list all of them)

Specifying between i3, i5, or i7 is a bit arbitrary since they have specs that increase over time, and low-power versions can match that of the high-end of the supposed "lower" product line. Better would be clock rate and # of cores. Also the bit (16, 32, 64 ?).

Though for what I own use personally, I had a potato and now I own a slightly better potato. One barely run KSP with mods and the other will run KSP with mods for a while until you get a somewhat complex thing. The first won't be able to max out SC4 and the latter won't max Cities: Skylines.

So yeah, potatoes.

17 minutes ago, YNM said:

Also the bit (16, 32, 64 ?).

:confused:

But ditto on processor specifics.  I *only* have an i5 (for now), but after a discussion I had with my brother earlier today about his Macbook from 2010, it would destroy every single spec of his i7 in that thing.

You've got ranges on the RAM.  Maybe re-do this thread?  Generate a poll that has more processor options (remember, some people are still play KSP on a Core2Duo), an OS option, and maybe even specify between desktop and laptop.

I think your RAM options are fine.

Processor:

• i3 ( < 2ghz)
  • i3 ( 2 - 3 ghz)
  • i3 ( 3 + ghz)

Repeat for i5 and i7.  I guess you could throw the i9 in there, but honestly I'd be surprised if anyone here had one.  They're rather new and very expensive.

I dunno squat about AMD processors, other than that I've not had good luck with them, but it seems like you need more options there as well.

More options for the GPU, similar to the CPU.

• Nivida (1-3GB)
  • Nvidia (3-6GB)
  • Nvidia (6+ GB)

Rinse and repeat again for a few other options.

Throw in a few Windows versions, a few Linux flavors, and Mac, and I think you'll be good.  Then you can lock this one and spin up your new thread, if allowed.

Man... I remember my first computer. It uses Windows 98, back then it was the most sophisticated OS out there. And my first game? DOOM. It's kinda interesting to realize how far and fast technology has progressed

4 hours ago, ARS said:

Man... I remember my first computer. It uses Windows 98, back then it was the most sophisticated OS out there. And my first game? DOOM. It's kinda interesting to realize how far and fast technology has progressed

Yeah, when talking about computers with my father, I was surprised to find out that my computer has more ram than he had storage.

Yeah, I guess that because people do keep these "retro" stuff somewhere, it's not very just to assume everyone here have a gaming or even modern spec.

I mean, maybe it can be like this :

Spoiler

CPU clock rate :

< 1MHz

1 - 10 MHz

10 - 100 MHz

100 MHz - 1 GHz

1 GHz - 2 GHz

2 GHz - 4 GHz

> 4 GHz

# of cores :

>4

Bit :

<16 (?)

RAM :

< 100 KB

100 KB - 1 MB

1 MB - 10 MB

10 MB - 100 MB

100 MB - 1 GB

1 GB - 4 GB

4 GB - 16 GB

16 GB - 32 GB

>32 GB

Also, allowing more than one vote would help catch those who have retro stuff (I'm well aware that those that do will have a modern one as well).

Also, while my first computer was a modest Pentium (4 ?) back in the day (it was quite good, at least it's a good potato back then) I still remember coming to one of my parent's office and I think they still run what, computers with physical locks somewhere or so ? I never used floppy for myself but I guess my parents have at home ! I guess I'm the cutoff :wink:

Edited by YNM

9 hours ago, YNM said:

Specifying between i3, i5, or i7 is a bit arbitrary since they have specs that increase over time, and low-power versions can match that of the high-end of the supposed "lower" product line. Better would be clock rate and # of cores. Also the bit (16, 32, 64 ?).

Though for what I own use personally, I had a potato and now I own a slightly better potato. One barely run KSP with mods and the other will run KSP with mods for a while until you get a somewhat complex thing. The first won't be able to max out SC4 and the latter won't max Cities: Skylines.

So yeah, potatoes.

16 bit is the 286. Last 32 bit cpu was pentium 4. Granted some early atom cpu was 32 bit but don't think they was used for pc. 
Now 32 bits OS still exists, but think they died off during windows 7 timeline. 

4 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

16 bit is the 286. Last 32 bit cpu was pentium 4. Granted some early atom cpu was 32 bit but don't think they was used for pc. 

I have Win 7 on my CPU (nowhere near me now) and Win 8 on one laptop (nowhere near now as well). Stuff do exist !

Edited by YNM

Just now, YNM said:

I have Win 7 on my CPU (nowhere near me now) and Win 8 on one laptop (nowhere near now as well). Stuff do exist !

That i saying is that most windows 7 installations are 64 bit. Windows 8 and 10 is 64 bit or its very weird. 
For Vista 32 bit was common, XP was 32 bit, it was in fact an late 64 bit version who was windows server 2003 who was rebranded as xp 64 bit. 

38 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Windows 10 32bit is still sold regularly with a lot of cheap laptops that are better typewriters with 4GB of soldered-on RAM.

40 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

That i saying is that most windows 7 installations are 64 bit. Windows 8 and 10 is 64 bit or its very weird. 

My win7 is x86, alright my win8 is x64 but it only has 2 GB of RAM ! It's barely holding itself !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.