[1.3.*-1.12.*] Pood's Skyboxes [v1.3.0] [17th Jan. 2019]

Poodmund

4 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

The mod works fine, it has no problems as far as I know, and nobody has reported any issue anyways.

If by "out of date" you mean it was published a long time ago then yes, it was. But there are no updates needed. (if it ain't broken....)

Thanks for the reply. When I ran SD 0.10.1 and Skybox 0.2.2   the skybox disappeared. Reverting to SD 0.9.8 seems to have fixed the problem

I'd tried updating SD because I was getting a strange glitch on the moon Iota in which I was seeing a second "ghost" surface texture layer floating above the actual surface - almost looking like an atmosphere - you can see it on the horizon in the picture below. It wasn't caused by scatterer, so I was hoping it was just an issue with SD and the newer Kopernicus. No luck though, updating SD to 0.10.1 didn't help and it broke the skyboxes. :/ 

Cm41CVF.png

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:25 PM, Poodmund said:

Sigma Replacements: Skybox still works fine in 1.4.5 but if you don't want to use that, you can do as Vaga has said above. I'm trying to come up with a way I can support SR:S, TRR and TR (Not heard of DIRT before) but unfortunately TR is holding back a way for me to do so in a non-egregious way that will work with CKAN and other skybox mods.

It may just be some time before a good solution presents itself.

DIRT (Drop in Replacement Textures) Works good if you just want a skybox.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have spoken briefly to Cydonian Monk about changes to DiRT to increase extensibility when it comes to using CKAN and may have another work around which could help on a personal mod level. Hopefully this can be resolved soon'ish(TM). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 4:19 PM, Tyko said:

Thanks for the reply. When I ran SD 0.10.1 and Skybox 0.2.2   the skybox disappeared. Reverting to SD 0.9.8 seems to have fixed the problem

I'd tried updating SD because I was getting a strange glitch on the moon Iota in which I was seeing a second "ghost" surface texture layer floating above the actual surface - almost looking like an atmosphere - you can see it on the horizon in the picture below. It wasn't caused by scatterer, so I was hoping it was just an issue with SD and the newer Kopernicus. No luck though, updating SD to 0.10.1 didn't help and it broke the skyboxes. :/ 

I don't visit the forums much anymore, if you have problems with my mods you can always open an issue on github, I will be happy to look into it

(for a guide on how to make a proper bug report see my signature)

and thanks in advance :)

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Philaphlous said:

So the deep star skybox is great. However, it's too bright in the game. For a more realistic view I feel it needs to be about 75% darker...is there any way to mod the texture files to make it darker? Any free programs thatll do this?

You can always install Distant Object Enhancement that may help you out with this.

Any chance this could be made to work with Texture Replacer? I'm hesitant to use Sigma Replacements in 1.5.x due to it not being updated for whatever 1.5.x changed, but Texture Replacer is up and running, and they even link to these skybox textures in the Texture Replacer forum thread, so there must be something I'm missing about how to get them working.

I am working on a solution to try and get this working with Sigma Replacements, DiRT, TextureReplacer and TextureReplacerReplaced. I have most of the configs written but am currently waiting on some mods to update to 1.5.* before release. 

Unfortunately CKAN cannot really handle the fact that all 4 dependencies are interchangeable but at least 1 is required so I may just have to list them as 'Recommendations' which is not perfect, however, thanks to TextureReplacers new ability to allow for textures to be located outside of the GameData/TextureReplacer folder I am now looking to support TextureReplacer again. Thank you, Shaw, for providing this functionality.

It's fine if it doesn't support CKAN yet, I'm used to installing mods manually. Of course, if you don't want to release it until it works with CKAN, that's totally understandable. Take your time, I've waited longer for less interesting things in my life.

12 hours ago, SciMan said:

Any chance this could be made to work with Texture Replacer? I'm hesitant to use Sigma Replacements in 1.5.x due to it not being updated for whatever 1.5.x changed, but Texture Replacer is up and running, and they even link to these skybox textures in the Texture Replacer forum thread, so there must be something I'm missing about how to get them working.

The reason why I haven't updated SR to 1.5.x yet is because I received no bug reports yet. I have very limited free time and I would rather use it to make more mods rather than testing old mods. If you don't want to use SR it's fine, but if you used it and found some bugs you can report them in my github repo.

9 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I am working on a solution to try and get this working with Sigma Replacements, DiRT, TextureReplacer and TextureReplacerReplaced. I have most of the configs written but am currently waiting on some mods to update to 1.5.* before release. 

Unfortunately CKAN cannot really handle the fact that all 4 dependencies are interchangeable but at least 1 is required so I may just have to list them as 'Recommendations' which is not perfect, however, thanks to TextureReplacers new ability to allow for textures to be located outside of the GameData/TextureReplacer folder I am now looking to support TextureReplacer again. Thank you, Shaw, for providing this functionality.

It is also not perfect solution, but maybe you could choose only one of those mods as CKAN dependency, so that users installing skybox via CKAN would be forced to use e.g. Texture Replacer. Only those users who install skybox manually could choose other dependencies...

To the people wanting to use this with DiRT or TR, I've been able to use it just fine by simply changing the names of DDS files to the standard Skybox names.

Example, change DeepStarMapXN to GalaxyTex_NegativeX.

This is probably not an ideal solution, but it works just fine.

4 hours ago, Walker said:

It is also not perfect solution, but maybe you could choose only one of those mods as CKAN dependency, so that users installing skybox via CKAN would be forced to use e.g. Texture Replacer. Only those users who install skybox manually could choose other dependencies...

This is not an acceptable solution as a user may want to use a different texture mod than the one I select as a dependency and because these texture mods are quite rightly listed as incompatible with each other in CKAN it then would block them from using these Skybox mods.

I have a possible solution, but it's sub-optimal in a different way. Instead of making a single download that's compatible with all the various texture replacer mods, make a different download for each texture replacer mod.

The work you have for making the mod universally compatible wouldn't be wasted, as all you would have to change between the different versions is whatever CKAN uses for dependency checking.

Slightly more work for you, but it works around the problem of CKAN listing texture replacer mods as mutually incompatible.

So it could be like PoodsMilkyWaySkybox_TR, PoodsMilkyWaySkybox_SD, etc.

All that would be left to do is update compatible game and mod dependency version numbers until something breaks it, and if nothing breaks the update process would be more like shuffling files around than actually re-making the core of how the compatibility works. Change a few version numbers and push the update, basically.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

@Dafni the same way it did before KSP 1.5.x

Using TextureReplacer for example.

Thanks.

The "for example" implies it is a flexible dependency? The OP mentions sigma, and for whatever reason I thought maybe Kopernicus is a requirement.

Apologies for the brain farts and ignorance here. Those mod engine dependencies have always confused me.

9 hours ago, Dafni said:

Anybody figured out yet how to use these fantastic skyboxes in KSP 1.5.1??

I tried it with the newest version of Sigma, and it didn't work.  So I just copied the Sigma folder and Skybox folder from my 1.3.1 install and it worked fine.

13 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I tried it with the newest version of Sigma, and it didn't work.  So I just copied the Sigma folder and Skybox folder from my 1.3.1 install and it worked fine.

Thanks. Did the same now, got the same result too.Cheers

:sticktongue: I can't be bothered to update this until an elegant solution can be implemented into CKAN to allow the end user to select their "texture-swapping" mod of choice.

I don't want to force a user to use the mod that I want them to use as that is obnoxious.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.