ModuleManager: Making decouplers be probes/controllable

cmheisel

Hi,

I'm trying to reduce part counts (and build simplicity) by using Module Manager to add a little bit of battery, torque and other probe-core features to decouplers so that spent stages with leftover propellant can be switched to and de-orbited (think like Centaur or Falcon 9 second stages).

I've got everything working EXCEPT that despite modding in an antenna they insist they're not in the comm network so I can't control them. Any tips on how to make that work. My MM config and a screenshot in game are below.

Config file

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDecouple],@MODULE[ModuleToggleCrossfeed]]
{
    @description ^= :$: Includes HeiselCorp Guidance and Avionics package for control of spent stages. Reaction control not includes. Warrant void if used on a rocket or other aerocraft:

@vesselType = Probe

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleProbeControlPoint
        minimumCrew = 1
        multiHop = True
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCommand
        minimumCrew = 0
        RESOURCE
        {
            name = ElectricCharge
            rate = 0.08
        }
        hasHibernation = True
        hibernationMultiplier = 0.00125
    }
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = ElectricCharge
        amount = 30
        maxAmount = 30
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleReactionWheel
        PitchTorque = 1.5
        YawTorque = 1.5
        RollTorque = 1.5
        RESOURCE
        {
            name = ElectricCharge
            rate = 0.15
        }
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleSAS
        SASServiceLevel = 3
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleDataTransmitter
        antennaType = INTERNAL
        packetInterval = 1.0
        packetSize = 2
        packetResourceCost = 12.0
        requiredResource = ElectricCharge
        antennaPower = 5000
        optimumRange = 2500
        packetFloor = .1
        packetCeiling = 5
    }
}
Screenshots
https://imgur.com/a/IPjpL
Album IPjpL will appear when post is submitted

I think the issue more-so may be that you are using the built in antenna stats, which are horrible. You just literally don't have connection because the internal antenna is so weak maybe?

Also, I like the idea, very neat mod concept! (I assume you don't just delete this stuff in the tracking station for RP reasons?)

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

5 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I think the issue more-so may be that you are using the built in antenna stats, which are horrible. You just literally don't have connection because the internal antenna is so weak maybe?

I thought that but I cloned those settings from other probes that work fine without additional antennae. Also weird that in the upper right there's NO comm networking information, not even the red symbol that means you're not connected.

5 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Also, I like the idea, very neat mod concept! (I assume you don't just delete this stuff in the tracking station for RP reasons?)

Thanks! Yeah I like to keep myself honest that the stage has enough dV left to de-orbit.

57 minutes ago, Li0n said:

Maybe this :

minimumCrew = 1

Yeah I thought so too but I cloned that from the other probe's in the Squad/Parts folder. I'll try changing it and see if it helps.

If that fails, I might see if I can mod probes to have decoupling capability and change it to use the decoupler model.

20 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

No, I wouldn't think so, because built-in antennas are capable of reaching to LKO.

21 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Also, I like the idea, very neat mod concept!

Thanks! I've been meaning to find an excuse to learn how to do mod packaging and distribution through CKAN/Curse, etc. Once I get this working I'll get this released. Thanks for the inspiration to do it!

I've been amassing flags/MM configs I like into a GitHub repo for a while: https://github.com/cmheisel/cmheisel-ksp

16 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Yeah, I play with ground stations turned off so, it's a little different for me.

The difference between antennas is that "INTERNAL" can't transmit science and the other two can.The strength (range) is defined by these parameter:

antennaPower = 

Edited by sebi.zzr

29 minutes ago, cmheisel said:

Thanks! I've been meaning to find an excuse to learn how to do mod packaging and distribution through CKAN/Curse, etc.

For best results, I'd advise learning to make .version files:

This lets you directly control the version compatibility information that goes into CKAN. Otherwise it's either a single-option dropdown on your hosting site or it has to be hard-coded and updated manually in CKAN's database.

On 1/21/2018 at 10:50 PM, sebi.zzr said:

@cmheisel,your only problem is here:

%vesselType = Probe

Decoulers don't have any name to edit,so you need to create it,otherwise the probe is automatically classified as debris.

That worked perfectly, thanks!! This weekend I'll work on packaging it up into a standalone mod.

12 hours ago, cmheisel said:

That worked perfectly, thanks!! This weekend I'll work on packaging it up into a standalone mod.

Ok, time for the hard part - naming things (at least there's no cache invalidation involved) :)

I thought about Smart Decouplers, but I don't want to conflict/trample on Smart Parts, thoughts on:

1. IntelliCouplers
  2. AutoPilot Decouplers
  3. Probe-ish Decouplers
  4. Decouple with control
  5. Control from Decoupler
  6. Avionic Decouplers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.