On the size of the KSP map

randyrules711

I love game with a good amount of space to explore and KSP excels at that. The map is so vast that is can actually be compared against our own Solar System and come out a measurable fraction.

That being said, I found an image containing a visual size comparison between our Earth and Kerbin. With a little math I was able to figure out that Kerbin's total surface area is roughly the size of Africa. That's big on it's own. With the added surface area of the Mun and Minmus, we can safely say that that is the entire surface area of Kerbal Space Program's map.

Now we get to the point of all this.

Last I checked, Daggerfall had the biggest fixed-size map ever used in a video game excluding flight simulators, with a map roughly the size of the UK (With some use of random generation). However, KSP's map is bigger than that by quite a lot. Several times, in fact. Could it be safe to say that KSP has broken a world record?

Edited by randyrules711

in terms of sheer width, Minecraft outsizes the diameter of Neptune, but I think ultimate size constraints have been removed in the latest versions.

But at least in the alpha, Minecraft did come with a definite size, and it was about 130 quadrillion-meters^2

Edited by KAO
way larger than a quadrillion

The size of Neptune and Minecraft (and everything else) can be seen here.

http://htwins.net/scale2/

I love game with a good amount of space to explore and KSP excels at that. The map is so vast that is can actually be compared against our own Solar System and come out a measurable fraction.

That being said, I found an image containing a visual size comparison between our Earth and Kerbin. With a little math I was able to figure out that Kerbin's total surface area is roughly the size of Africa. That's big on it's own. With the added surface area of the Mun and Minmus, we can safely say that that is the entire surface area of Kerbal Space Program's map.

Now we get to the point of all this.

Last I checked, Daggerfall had the biggest fixed-size map ever used in a video game excluding flight simulators, with a map roughly the size of the UK (With some use of random generation). However, KSP's map is bigger than that by quite a lot. Several times, in fact. Could it be safe to say that KSP has broken a world record?

Pretty cool info there mate!

The size of Neptune and Minecraft (and everything else) can be seen here.

http://htwins.net/scale2/

Yes this is a very interesting app.

A bit off topic:

If a minecraft world can be a max size of 108 quadrillion blocks (according to the app), could one actually be able to store all the world data with any HDD in existence? According to the wiki minecraft blocks are at least 8 bytes plus an additional 4 bytes for special information. This means that if every chunk in the world had been generated the file size of the world would need to be a whopping 500 petabytes, which by today's standards is an impossibly large amount of information. The largest data storage array ever built only has a capacity of 120 petabytes. The Blue Waters super computer which is currently under construction will have a storage capacity of 500 petabytes. Perhaps it will be used to create the first full fledged minecraft world...

Yes this is a very interesting app.

A bit off topic:

If a minecraft world can be a max size of 108 quadrillion blocks (according to the app), could one actually be able to store all the world data with any HDD in existence? According to the wiki minecraft blocks are at least 8 bytes plus an additional 4 bytes for special information. This means that if every chunk in the world had been generated the file size of the world would need to be a whopping 500 petabytes, which by today's standards is an impossibly large amount of information. The largest data storage array ever built only has a capacity of 120 petabytes. The Blue Waters super computer which is currently under construction will have a storage capacity of 500 petabytes. Perhaps it will be used to create the first full fledged minecraft world...

In fifty years time you'll be telling your grandchildren about how you remember the good ol' days when you couldn't store a fully generated Minecraft world on your mobile phone.

So... if I'm right... (and I'm too tired to do the math right now) but the open space of... well space in KSP is actually about 14x larger then minecraft (only including a flatline, not up or down) the only reason KSP seems smaller is due to us using rockets to travel further and faster?

urgh... just had a thought of how many 60 meter rockets it would take to reach the sun (if they were stacked in a line straight to the Sun)

thats a lot... and i aint building them all to test it lol

I don't think you can compare game map size in this way.

In Frontier: Elite 2 you can visit stars in an area around Sol system which is arround 100 light years in diameter IIRC ;) which of course huge - but means nothing. And to keep on a slightly more realistic scale: There are (game) Engines which allow you to stream terrain vector data (as in: google maps) into the game - which means you play on a 510,072,000 km2 (earth surface - no idea if they support google earth moon or mars yet)

FuKUm.jpg

8apr4ytf.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.