Do you think Kerbal Will be available for

On 2/5/2018 at 3:41 PM, IncongruousGoat said:

That's not how it works. The switch has 8 physical cores in it, and they physically can't be combined in order to achieve higher clock rates for single-thread things like the rigid-body physics that KSP uses. Designing the Switch to have 2 modes would require hyper-threading of some description, and ARM processors (like those used in the Switch) don't support hyper-threading.

No, I'm saying the engineering IS capable of it according to my research. 

The SoC board in the switch (Tegra X1) is engineered to handle all 8 cores at 2.1Ghz However, the Switch has an insufficient power supply or cooling to run them at over 1Ghz.

This is different than hyperthreading.  It is basically closer to processor scaling.   Simply put, it's like if you stuck a 150W TDP 8-core CPU when you have a power supply and heat sink that can only handle a 65W TDP CPU.  You would simply need to reclock the CPU for it to produce less heat and draw less power.   Basically, the CPU can handle 2.1Ghz clock speed, the motherboard just can't provide enough power.

There are two ways to handle this.  The first is to underclock the clock speed, the second is to turn off cores.   Nintendo chose to underclock the clock speed.   I'm saying they should give game developers the option of which to do.

Many cell phones have the same issue and use the same workaround I said they should use. 

The other technique that can be used is to increase the speed for very short durations.  Some chips have mechanism to do this internally either manually triggered or automatically triggered by detecting a full command queue with no power-save idle commands, a sufficiently low heat value, and sufficiently high voltage from the power supply.  It is commonly called "Boost" or "Turbo" function and often runs even higher than the default maximum processor speed.  In recent years, Intel has made their chips handle power saving governors entirely using this mechanism, but most SoCs still use manual firmware-based manipulation.

As a note, the switch only downclocks it's GPU when off base, not the CPU.

Considering the base output is 1080p and the device screen is 720p30, this is understandable.

Edited by Ruedii
spec Information.

• 4 months later...
On 7/10/2018 at 11:33 AM, slyfoxninja said:

I imagine there would be severe limits as far as parts go, but if they can make DOOM and Wolfenstein II work anything is possible.

Those really aren't even remotely comparable as they are bog standard first person shooters and thus are extremely GPU heavy instead of CPU heavy.

The limiting factor where KSP is concerned is going to be CPU(Especially single core performance) and RAM.

I'm going to go ahead and say that KSP will likely never come to the Switch. Heck, the current console ports for the much more powerful Sony and Microsoft consoles are still to this very day an absolute mess that barely work. If nothing else, I'm willing to bet this leaves a very bad taste in Squads mouth as far as future console ports, especially to a weaker system.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.