• Paul McGann
    • Christopher Eccleston
    • David Tennant
    • Matt Smith
    • Peter Capaldi
    • Jodie Whittaker
    • Peter Cushing
    • John Hurt

I think I got them all.  If I missed one, let me know. 

I'm really torn between Tennant and Smith.  Right when I started the show, I was a bit upset when Eccleston left, but that was really only because he was the only Doctor I knew.  Now the first season is only tolerable.

Amy / Rory are certainly my favorite companions.  The season arcs for (Reboot) 5 & 6 are incredible.

I'm not completely caught up, because I wasn't too into Capaldi as the Doctor, which was upsetting.  I was pretty excited when he was announced.

I really wish I could watch the entirety of the original show - but from what I understand, even the BBC doesn't have all of them.

Any Doctor Who discussion welcome!  And BE NICE.

Edited by Geonovast

Oh, I thought you meant, like, family doctors or something. I was going to pick the one who did all those psychology tests and fed me cookies whenever I finished something quickly, and then gave me cookies anyways if I messed something up.

But, uh, I'll leave...

Hard question to ask! Every doctor is unique to the stories made for them. Every doctor is a product of the times they were made in (if you don't believe me, pop in any Jon Pertwee and you'll see it reeks of 70s James Bond style). Not every doctor had good stories. Tom Baker is a classic but in my honest opinion, his stories got worse as time went on. Legopolis (his last episode as a doctor, not including the reunion) was weird, slow paced and frankly a terrible way to have sent out the most iconic doctor of them all; but the fact is that was the style and pacing of the stories at that time. This problem returns with McCoy, although intentional as the leader of the BBC wanted the show to die, so the show was intentionally dark, slow and boring.

That said, in my mind, Paul McGann and John Hurt don't count as they were both shoe horned in.

Having said all that- who's the best in my mind? That distinction would have to go to Eccleston. He simply achieved a style that the show needed and more importantly established a character and revived a dead series in only 12 episodes. He made a very unique appearance and made a version of the doctor that truly is his own. Something like doctors like Capaldi failed to achieve even with three years (granted I don't blame Peter for this, I blame the writers. Even the greats like Tom Baker met a horrible fate when terrible writers had a shot at him as we saw in his final season).

I'll always have a soft spot for Peter Davison's Doctor simply because the fifth Doctor was the one I grew up with, although admittedly I have no recollection of any particular episodes or their quality (or lack of).

Of the modern Doctors, Christopher Eccleston is definitely my favourite for the reasons that @ZooNamedGames mentioned. David Tennant was a grower though and I stopped watching after Matt Smith's first season. At that point he was my least favourite of the modern Doctors but on the other hand I didn't really give him a fair run either.

Edited by KSK

2 hours ago, KSK said:

At that point he was my least favourite of the modern Doctors but on the other hand I didn't really give him a fair run either.

I started watching the show, IIRC, during the 6th season.  By the time I got to Matt Smith, I didn't like him either.  The more I watch it though (I do a full watch through at least once a year) the more I like him, to the point of liking him more than Tennant. 

IMO season 6 is definitely his best season. 

18 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Wait, John Hurt was a Doctor? Never knew.

Opps... @Geonovast just ninja'd me... hehehe. I liked Hurt... 

18 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Glad to see Im not the only who liked Christopher Ecclestone

I'm also a big Ecclestone fan. To be honest, I grew up on the older doctors, and I was really skeptical and on the ropes about the new episodes in general.

Then I saw this scene... and I thought to myself, "Wow... this is dark... I think I like this Doctor..."

I think he gets my vote, because this is when I really started paying attention to the new ones.

Edited by Just Jim

Oh, @Geonovast also mentioned companions in the OP, even though they don't have a poll, and probably shouldn't, considering how long the list would have to be.

But as far as mine... I know everyone loves Amy & Rory, and Donna, and for a lot of us older folk, Ms. Sarah Jane Smith...

My favorite was arguably the quirkiest of all... Captain Jack Harkness... :kiss:

4 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Oh, @Geonovast also mentioned companions in the OP, even though they don't have a poll, and probably shouldn't, considering how long the list would have to be.

But as far as mine... I know everyone loves Amy & Rory, and Donna, and for a lot of us older folk, Ms. Sarah Jane Smith...

Yeah I didn't do a companion one because I felt it would be an insane list... plus I didn't want to do the research for the original show.

I loved all the reboot companions... except Clara.  I wish Me had done more. (Also a big GoT fan).  Definitely love the Cap'n.

I take it then that you've seen all of Torchwood as well?

13 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I loved all the reboot companions... except Clara.

I wasn't a big Clara fan either... Something about her just doesn't click... maybe that she's too perfect? I don't mean physically.... one could argue all day whether she or Amy was the cuter... or Martha... or even Jack. They were all cute in their own way. But all of them had very unique flaws as well... Amy was a frightening hothead, Martha was always super-unsure of herself... Jack... well, he had a bunch of problems.... lol.

But not Clara... She didn't seem to have any quirks at all... despite the re-occurring thing. She was just too perfect to be a good companion, in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I take it then that you've seen all of Torchwood as well?

About half... I need to binge the rest. 

Edited by Just Jim

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Opps... @Geonovast just ninja'd me... hehehe. I liked Hurt... 

I'm also a big Ecclestone fan. To be honest, I grew up on the older doctors, and I was really skeptical and on the ropes about the new episodes in general.

Then I saw this scene... and I thought to myself, "Wow... this is dark... I think I like this Doctor..."

I think he gets my vote, because this is when I really started paying attention to the new ones.

You beat me to it @Just Jim. Dalek has to be one of my favourite Who episodes ever, if not my absolut favourite. It's got everything - decent villain, humour (broken...junk...flat battery...hair dryer) which segues into a marvellous snippet of dialogue between van Statten and the Doctor which really drives home just who the Doctor really is and who van Statten is dealing with.

"It's a musical instrument?"
"Yes - and it's a long way from home."

Then you have that scene there, with all its fine acting; the moral ambiguity and overall darkness of the whole episode and a lone Dalek as the central character in a Who episode. And man - that's one of the rare times when you feel that the Daleks really could be the the galaxy conquering uber-villains they're made out to be. I mean yeah, they're scary but in some ways they're often presented as caricatures too, the pepperpot bad guys that run around yelling 'exterminate' a lot.

Not that Dalek. It was cunning, genuinely menacing - and completely unstoppable. And on top of all that it was just a grunt. A Dalek foot soldier (for want of a better expression :) )

Fantastic episode all round.

Edited by KSK

10 minutes ago, KSK said:

Not that Dalek. It was cunning, genuinely menacing - and completely unstoppable. And on top of all that it was just a grunt. A Dalek foot soldier (for want of a better expression :) )

Fantastic episode all round.

Yeah... I know which one you mean... This scene here... Suddenly Dalek's go from kind of laughable to truly horrifying, literally in the blink of an eye!!!

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

About half... I need to binge the rest. 

Season 3 is short, and it's creepy.  I would advise watching the whole season early one morning, and give your brain some time to settle before trying to sleep.  But it stars Peter Capaldi, so...

I liked Season 4, although there's a moment at the beginning that I can almost guarantee you'll scream "That's NOT how physics works" at the TV.  Has Nana Visitor and John de Lanci in it.  (dunno if you like Star Trek)

Any time I try to get someone to watch Doctor Who, I try to get them to watch Torchwood along with it in aired order, mainly so the end of DW Season 4 makes more sense.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.