Clawing my way from the brink of disaster

Flexico

It started out as a simple rescue of some n00b who got stuck in orbit around the Mün. However, as I approached the stranded vessel, I was watching my navball too closely and crashed into it, destroying two of my 5 ion engines.

7K8O2MP.png

Then, the thing was tumbling so badly, I burned up all of my monopropellant just trying to dock with it. Somehow I managed to dock anyway just using my 3 remaining engines.

BfqJVkK.png

After transferring the pilot over to my craft, I released the empty pod and accelerated to leave the Mün's SOI. Somehow, I managed to crash into it again and destroy one of my solar arrays.

eOalG7k.png

I must have given my reaction wheels one heck of a workout flying back home with such uneven thrust, but I made it!

uaXmvdu.png

I managed to fulfill 2 contracts with this mission, and set 5 world-firsts. All things considered, a massive success! =D

1 hour ago, Flexico said:

Then, the thing was tumbling so badly,

psst.. Trick you can use to stop tumbling - just quickly jump in and out of time warp (unless you have persistent rotation). Completely kills rotation.

8 hours ago, Flexico said:
9 hours ago, qzgy said:

psst.. Trick you can use to stop tumbling - just quickly jump in and out of time warp (unless you have persistent rotation). Completely kills rotation.

Woah, really? Thanks for the tip!

I admit, I semi-cheat with this whenever I have a ship running low on RCS fuel. Set SAS to go to the heading I want, tap RCS on to give myself a kick in the right direction, turn RCS off to conserve it, and then hop in and out of timewarp the moment I'm pointed in the right direction. Warp freezes me at the correct heading with no further expenditure of RCS.

If you are gaming on a PC with the standard keybindings, tapping period and comma (or period and slash) in quick succession hops you in and out of timewarp almost instantly.

Timewarping is also good for releasing payloads or undocked craft or debris safely. Collision meshes are not activated during timewarp. You can eject a payload from a fairing without blowing the fairing if you decouple and immediately hit period, because the payload will simply drift right through the fairing without breaking it. I've also used this to successfully stage off parallel boosters (once in space) that otherwise would have collided.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.