[1.3.1]Araym's Stock-alike Advanced Suits [TextureReplacerReplaced][v_0.9.2]26.01.2018

Araym

-- Araym's Stock-alike Advanced Suits --
"Kouston... Are we ready to go???"
KyXm2xV.png

"... passengers are required to fasten the seat belts..."
Lyct162.png

Back in time I already prepared a customized set of suits for Texture Replacer: I liked the stock look of the suit already on KSP, but just I added some different colors based on kerbal jobs or traits, and overall improve some lacking textures on them.
With the latest release of the new TRR (with more options) I thought to improve my old pack...
... and this is the result:

• redesigned helmet and gloves locks
  • totally redrawn frontal control unit for the EVA suit (like the stock one based on those used during shuttle's EVAs), just better detailed
  • added few touch of colors that could appear based on class-job, "badass" or "veteran" traits (like in the picture below, the orange for veteran's EVA suit) and new patch placements on the suits both in EVA and IVA suits
  • various decals/patches changing with the kerbal levelling in career mode, both for EVA and IVA suits
  • new colors for IVA suits for "non veteran" kerbals
  • adjusted some texture artifacts on helmets colors, decals, for a better detailed suit pack

screenshot75.png
Basic new EVA design, in this case a "veteran" kerbal

Araym's Stock Suit Advanced Pack contains class-specific custom suits for all KSP stock classes and for all classes included in "USI-MKS" and "Colonist!".  

• EVA/IVA class suits for kerbal job-traits level zero to 5
  • Specialization-trait classes color coded suits
  • Alternate EVA helmets used for any kerbals with both Veteran & BadAss traits
  • Alternate IVA helmets used for any kerbals with Veteran  trait
  • Alternate EVA badass suits used for any kerbals with the BadAss trait
  • Alternate EVA veteran suits used for any kerbals with the Veteran trait
  • Alternate IVA badass suits used for any kerbals with the BadAss trait
  • Alternate IVA veteran suits used for any kerbals with the Veteran trait
  • Alternate jetpack used for any kerbal with BadAss trait
  • Alternate jetpack used for any kerbal with Veteran trait
  • Alternate jetpack used for any kerbal with both Veteran and BadAss
  • Transparent EVA visors (used by default on the ground in an atmosphere-less/non-breathable atmosphere when in an EVA suit)
  • Apollo-style EVA gold sun visors for space, mostly opaque, but with just enough transparency to let you get a feel for your kerbal's emotional state at any given moment while on EVA
  • The ability to flip back and forth between the clear and sun visors via right-click menu (select change EVA suit) thanks to TRR
  • ** BONUS ** Customized and separated suits for each of the "Original Four" Kerbonauts (Jebediah, Bill, Bob and Valentina)

NOTE:
***If adding this suit pack to an existing game, you must use the "Reset TRR" button in the TextureReplacerReplaced menu (lower right under the class selections) while in the Space Center view for settings to take effect.  New games started after the installation of this pack do not need this step.***

Some more images:

Ke7yteh.png
8NxBjOv.png
The "Original 4" (Jebediah, Bill, Bob and Valentina) showing off their new suits, with unique name tags, uncommon for any other kerbal.
*** ATTENTION! *** Even if available to be selected in TRR menu, these suits are "TRR-coded" in files' names to work just with "male veteran" (as Bill and Bob), "male veteran-badass" (Jeb)  and "female veteran-badass" (Val).
Setting other kerbals to those suits is very likely to show the "default" suit, if the above condition are not met by them.

OMNZnCs.png
"Pilot" suits

CreHObh.png
"Engineer" suits

rNM0LEI.png
"Scientist" suits

m7cgNwq.png
"Tourist" suits

pKnlGnb.png
Almost countless extra combinations if using modded, non-stock, job-traits, mixed with level (for career mode) and personal traits (badass and/or veteran). Every kerbal displays their level and job.

### ### ALBUMS: ### ###

** Last update 26.01.2018 ** ------> FINAL RELEASE MAIN SHOWCASE PICTURES LINK CLICK HERE <------ ** Last update 26.01.2018 **

I cannot show "every suit" here on the main page.  So the most quantity of images will be surelly inside this big blue link, meantime I need to gather all those pictures that randomly are for sure floating in my PC and in this thread. :D

- ++++ - <--- ++++

*** OLD W.I.P. *** OLD CATALOGUES ***
- IMGUR - Album 0001 - <---link
... basically how the layout of the redrawn EVA suit appeared...
** FEATURES: ** The basic concept about the suits "functions": - patches that, even unnoticed, change themselves levelling (in career mode); - the color coded changes and what traits they are displaying; - general showcase of the stock suits combination that was later further developed exclusively, the pack not being initially born to cover the modded traits around up to "WIP Release 0.3.0" :P

- ++++ - <--- ++++

Araym's Stock-alike Advanced Suits Pack REQUIRES the following mods (NOT INCLUDED!!!):
TextureReplacerReplaced (MANDATORY or the pack is good for nothing):
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/161898-13texturereplacerreplaced-v04/&

ModuleManager (USEFUL to patch "Portrait Stats" to have in game the same icons used in the suits):  
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/50533-130-module-manager-281-june-29th-2017-with-n-cats-physics/&

Araym's Stock-alike Advanced Suits Pack is compatible/enhanced with the following mods:
Community Trait Icons:
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/162509-13-community-trait-icons-icon-library-for-kerbal-crew-types-v012-2017-06-25/&

Portrait Stats:
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/108704-13x-dmagics-modlets-new-modlet-one-window-v20-8-16-2017/&

Modular Kolonization System: 
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/154587-13-modular-kolonization-system-mks/

Colonist!:
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/149488-12-colonists/

Kourageous Tourists:
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/167120-13x-kourageous-tourists-tiny-mod-making-tourists-less-helpless/

Ispired in some details added to Squad's stock suits by Cetera's Suits pack ( https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/167869-131-ceteras-suits-for-texturereplacerreplaced/)

Thank you to GregroxMun, Green Skull, Cetera for their inspiration added to my suits pack.  Thank you Shaw for the original TextureReplacer mod, RangeMachine for updating it after Shaw disappeared, HaArLiNsH for creating TextureReplacerReplaced, carrying on the work to allow us to customize our favorite game, and for all the extras he has put into it to make TRR so flexible and customizable!

*As being ispired on some details and icons by Cetera's suit pack, sharing the same license*

License:  CC BY-NC-SA
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)

DOWNLOAD:

*** BEING STILL A WORK IN PROGRESS THERE COULD BE A LOT OF CHANGES BETWEEN VERSIONS ***
*** REMOVE ANY PRECEDENT VERSION INSTALLED OF THE PACK, BEFORE UPGRADING/INSTALLING ***
*** DO NOT SIMPLY COPY-PASTE or DRAG ON A PREVIOUS INSTALLATION OF THE PACK: ***
*** DELETE THE OLD ONE FIRST, THEN INSTALL THE NEWEST ONE TO AVOID ERRORS ***

-- version 0.9.2_FinalReleaseTEST (26.01.2018):
DROPBOX: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttjpi908p3apeeg/TRR-AraymStockSuitAdv_0.9.2_FinalReleaseTEST.zip?dl=0

**Changelog**
- Testing the format, basically already the "final release"
- All planned job-traits finished (as those listed in "Comunity Trait Icons", for "USI-MKS" and "Colonist!" mods)
- Added customized and specific suits for the "Original 4"
- Some outdated NRMs brought in par with corresponding textures

**Older Releases in spoiler down here**
**ATTENTION** IN ANY GIVEN MOMENT THE MOST OLDER/SUPERSEEDED VERSIONS (mostly those in pre-release WIP on dropbox) COULD BE SIMPLY DELETED/HAVE BROKEN LINKS **

-- WIP version 0.3.0_Pre-ReleaseBETA (20180124):
DROPBOX: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0hmbudg475c0vd/TRR-AraymStockSuitAdv_0.3.0_Pre-ReleaseBETA.zip?dl=0

**Changelog**
- New .dds format Normal Maps for overall improved shadow quality (thanks to @HaArLiNsH advice)
- removed unwanted or duplicates files bound for error
- added Normal Maps to any suit directory, to avoid conflicts, unwanted errors or other problems if installed along side other suit packs (thanks to
@HaArLiNsH advice)
- Support up to now limited to stock job-traits suits (Pilot, Engineer, Scientist, Tourist)

-- WIP version 0.2.0: first public pre-release version
DROPBOX: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q17zeww1r4wm2co/TRR-AraymStockSuitAdv_0.2.0.zip?dl=0 (DropBox only for the moment)
** ATTENTION: it's ripped out directly from my "texturing" KSP install, so it could still not work perfectly **

Edited by Araym
26.01.2018 pack updated to the (hopefully) final state

*** For some more pictures during the WIP phase look here!! ***

screenshot81.png
screenshot80.png
Initial development phase, showing some features on the original Veteran quartet (Jeb, Bill, Bob and Val) with mostly of the suit details ready but still (at the time) black and white stickers for job and levels in career mode on helmets...

screenshot92.png
screenshot91.png
screenshot90.png
screenshot89.png
Some pictures showing a bit later development phase, showing the differences on EVA suits, based on job or traits (normal... badass or veteran... or both badass-veteran) JUST AND ONLY for the "Pilot" class.
Helmets will have already job and (for career saves) level displayed in color.

screenshot101.png
screenshot102.png
Using TRR customizable settings, differences on suits based on situation, fully switchable in game (scientists suits here): EVA on ground in non-breathable enviroment (-clear visor-); EVA in space (-the far back one with golden/protective visor); IVA suits for breathable enviroment (green-badass, blue-normal) with helmet but NO visor (to exploit the fresh air).
** NOTE: all the setting are customizable on TRR menu **
In the background some orange-veterans.

Edited by Araym

Very nice :)

Just my 2 cents to improve it :

- I see you have a skybox in your suit pack, maybe you should remove it from this pack and make another for the skybox, otherwise some people will have a surprise because you don't talk about it in your description and it can cause conflict if they use another skybox. 

- You have 2 NRM "copia" for the helmet in the default folder.

- You should use .dds for the helmetNRM, you can avoid the strange " I see the pieces" effect on the back by using the setting CLAMP when you make these .dds  (in fact you should CLAMP all you .dds for better results on the edges of the model)

- if you don't provide the NRM in each suit set, you risk having some problem if the player use several suit texture pack. You can save some memory this way but you wont be sure your suit will use the default NRM from your pack. This is because your kerbal will use the last NRM he can find, so for example if you switch from a suit that have his personal NRM to a suit that use the default one, you have great chances to see the NRM from the last suit and not the default one.

2 hours ago, Cetera said:

Station keeping on those little buggers in formation is hard work, isn't it?  They keep trying to shuffle around on you every time you load a save or switch active EVA.

You mean even without switching they start to "move" by themselves :) 

@CeteraThanks for the compliments :D And "YES": those kerbals have the tendencies to "move around on their own", not only between different reloads, but even during the process to arrange them or when I left them unwatched....
@canisinThere will be differences, but overall it will be a less "rainbow" pack, even sporting all the classes. I want to keep it "close" to stock, but also "reality".
Basically all the designs for suits will be on 3 main colors (red green or blue)  on white EVA plus the orange-veteran. The IVA suits will be just 3 colors (orange-veteran, green-badass, blue-normal) ispired by shuttle IVA suits (and stock veterans) orange, by the green on jet-fighter pilot suits, and the blue ispired by the KSP video about the selection progress:

... with added details in the 3 main colors selected already (green, red and blue) for any specialization. I'm probably going to integrate some "grey" variations, re-utilizing assets used for the creation of the "grey-tourist". To recognize the actual job there will be the icon stickers on the helmets.
Why only "3 colors" (or 4, added the grey one), despite having to do, up to now, a total of 15 job-traits (14, excluding the tourist one)? Because mostly this pack suit was always linked to my "Custom Ribbons" (link in my signature) for Final Frontier mod, where the "ranks" for the "Kerbal Space Agency" designed by me are cut in those 3 colors for scientific, technical and pilot-commanding roles. And because I do not wanna create, anyway, a "rainbow" pack.

@HaArLiNsHLike stated, it's just a release in a VERY WIP state. Basically ripped off directly by my texturing-test installation and also basically with some "extras" I forgot to erase. I just noticed the duplicates on my installation and got rid of doubles.
I'm taking notice of the idea to add NRM to each suit, just in case a "Default" set differently on user side.
BUT about the NRM creation by itself, I'm completely on the loss side after your explanation: I'm basically just a random guy with some drawing abilities but NONE on actual modelling. This means that my "empirical knowledge" about importing things for KSP stops on having at disposal JUST only an old Photoshop (v.7), a bit of ideas and "try and error" attempts to achieve a decent effect.
... attempts still on the run, being now focusing just on the "colored textures" to make the color coded for each job-trait...
I'm going for the next attempts to try xNormal as program to generate the next NRM set, or the nVidia tool for Photoshop I just downloaded (I used up to now another filter), but I'm totally at lost about setting both of them... and for DDS conversion my only tool at disposal is the "old" DDS4KSP program going around in this forum. I should try it just to see the different results (I noticed a loss of detail on the colored textures, so up to now I avoided to make any conversion in dds just to judge later the "final release state").
If you eventually have more explanation, it could be really appreciated (maybe even on private message... or even not, as my struggles could be useful for other pack creators :P ).
I'm an old 41 y.o. pal that at most had draw some random stuffs as hobby, but this is the real first attempt to a complete, proper, set of textures for KSP, so I coming from an era in which "videogames" were linked to "8-bit bitmap pixellated sprites moving on a monitor", rather than modern 3d texturing  :P

Edited by Araym

@HaArLiNsH

BXloL9F.png
I did some "dds conversion" attempts for NRMs and after a bit of test, I managed to obtain the effect that you probably were advicing to me...
GGiIRLV.png
... compared to an early screenshot where the conversion was not done (and it's visible the "unwanted edges" on the shadow)

Now I have probably to smooth out some details on the original png that (with all the new smooth transitions) stick out like a sore tumb...
... but the normal conversion worked overall

Edited by Araym

**FIXED RELEASE**
Actual version 0.3.0_Pre-ReleaseBETA - 24.01.2018

DROPBOX: DOWNLOAD HERE!!!

**Changelog**
- New .dds format Normal Maps for overall improved shadow quality (thanks to @HaArLiNsH advice)
- removed unwanted or duplicates files bound for error
- added Normal Maps to any suit directory, to avoid conflicts, unwanted errors or other problems if installed along side other suit packs (thanks to
@HaArLiNsH advice)
- Support up to now limited to stock job-traits suits (Pilot, Engineer, Scientist, Tourist)

Edited by Araym

Problem discovered in the latest release just today, meanwhile I was continuing making textures for all the other job-traits aside stock:
the EVA suit NRM was not updated to the actual suits (last modification was on the EVA boots, but the normal map was not updated).
It's a very minor flaw almost unnoticeable in game at the actual point, but it's now addressed in my working-in-progress.
I was thinking to make another pre-release to fix that, but meanwhile, I'm now in the "awesome" phase to define all the color differences on my pack and create that half of a ton, repetitive but necessary, textures, so probably the "next" public release will be the "final" one...
... and noticed now that even if I stated that my point was "to not create a rainbow suit pack" but being closed to a stock-ish look (chosen to stay on 3 base colors + gray + orange-veteran), once I put all the suit together in a single picture it starts to resemble a power-ranger assembly:
w1X7Gmd.png

Long story short:
I'm almost done with "all" the suits, then it will be added a "bonus" just because I got an idea that will be revealed just on release date.

Edited by Araym

screenshot117.png

... and the "Medic Team" is ready to sweep the rest of carbonized kerbonauts......ehhhrrrr! I MEAN: ...to work hard to save kerbonauts lifes in danger!

:D

Jobs-classes done.
A bit of testing, a couple of controls to be sure that everything is properly set, the addition of a "bonus" I was thinking and then I'm probably near to a full release.
In hours. :D

Edited by Araym

-- version 0.9.2_FinalReleaseTEST (26.01.2018):
DROPBOX: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttjpi908p3apeeg/TRR-AraymStockSuitAdv_0.9.2_FinalReleaseTEST.zip?dl=0

**Changelog**
- Testing the format, basically already the "final release"
- All planned job-traits finished (as those listed in "Comunity Trait Icons")
- Added customized and specific suits for the "Original 4"
- Some outdated NRMs brought in par with corresponding textures

(Scrubbed for the moment Spacedock, availability on DropBox untill tested enough to be sure is in the final state)

Edited by Araym

• 1 month later...

After "KSP 1.4.1" release Note:

I do not plan to redo the suit pack, so, if nothing major will happens to TRR, it should be compatible even after 1.4.1...
... but I have NO CLUE at all about the modding status of the new release, so basically at the moment it's guaranteed only for KSP 1.3.1.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.