Aurora: Into The Ocean (loosely based on Subnautica)

Aurora: Into The Ocean

This story is based on the game Subnautica. I found a craft file on KerbalX for the Aurora from said game, so I decided to make my own version of the start of the game. Also, yes, the captain's name is Chara, because that's just what I named this specific kerbal in this save.

-------

"This is the Aurora to KSC. We're approaching Kerbin's atmosphere. Estimated time to landing, 5 minutes."

Chara turns and looks at her navigation panel. We're going way too fast for Kerbin re-entry...

"Everyone, this is your captain speaking! We're coming in towards Kerbin too fast - an estimated 3600 meters per second according to my speedometer! I'm going to eject myself out the back of the ship with my escape pod! Hold on tight!"

She quickly gets out of her cupola module inside the ship and runs down the corridor to her personal escape pod. It was not much - merely a small lander pod attached to an RCS tank with some thrusters. It only worked in zero G, but it'd have to do. And the ship wasn't in the atmosphere yet - once it was, Chara could no longer use the escape pod.

"Undocking in 3. 2. 1."

The pod undocks from the port inside the ship. Chara skillfully maneuvers the pod out of one of the holes in the back using the RCS thrusters. She keeps herself within viewing distance of the Aurora in order to maintain radio contact, but stays far enough away to be safe.

iADvZ77.jpg

"This is captain Dreemurr of the Aurora. We're coming in too hot. I have ejected myself from the ship in my escape pod. This will be a wild ride. Please, get a rescue team out there as soon as possible," Chara shouts over the mic before all radio contact fizzles out, as the ships begin to enter the atmosphere. The Aurora... it's out of control! It's spinning wildly!

AFWj2Aw.png

Being more aerodynamic, the pod descends quickly through the atmosphere. As soon as the parachutes deploy, Chara looks up at the Aurora. But, she no longer sees one piece. Instead...

jlsnHjR.png

It's... it's coming apart... I mean, I'm glad I got out of there, but.... I can't believe this is happening- REI, WHY DIDN'T YOU INSTALL ADEQUATE DECELERATION THRUSTERS?!

As the escape pod approaches within 500 meters of the ocean, Chara braces for impact as the parachutes fully deploy. Meanwhile...

hnqPiUw.jpg

WT1hTLr.jpg

The Aurora successfully splashes down without being fully destroyed, the only damage being what it had sustained during the descent, except some loose parts snapped off.

*Four Hours Later*

Chara wakes up to find her pod floating in the ocean.

gg9Kijq.jpg

Well, I'll be. I... actually survived! GPS pings show the Aurora - or what's left - to be roughly fourteen kilometers away. At least the rescue crews will have an easy job...

END

-----------

Hey everyone. Sorry, my writing is terrible, I'm better at doing roleplays on Amino than I am at writing stories. The other day, I found that Aurora craft file on KerbalX, and chose to have fun recreating the Aurora's crash at the start of Subnautica. Many screenshots were taken, but these were just my favorites. I wrote the story around the screenshots. Again, I know the writing is terrible. But, it's 9 PM on a school night, and I just can't think right now. After all, the most important part of this is the screenshots!

Oh yeah, the craft file can be found here: https://kerbalx.com/Lockatello/Aurora-Beta The escape pod and corridors (the metal plating seen in some shots) were my personal modifications.

Edited by UnionPacific1983WP

Subnautica is one of my favorite youtube games. Can't wait to see how this works out. Also, you can probably do a lot of this using KAS and KIS. Really like where this is going and don't despair on your writing skills. Practice makes perfect!:wink: 

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.