• 90-85%
    • 85-80%
    • 80-75%
    • 75-70%
    • 70-65%
    • 65-60%
    • Less than 60% Hype

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/11/2018 at 09:44 PM

With the first Falcon Heavy static fire test complete, I think it's time to get some input on the song I'm writing for it's maiden flight.

Tell me, do you think this theme will provide sufficient hype from T- 1:00 minute to T- 0? If you could please assign it a Hype Percentage based on your own judgement of the song, do so in the poll. Critique the piece in the comments.

A revision:

I would like to know if this much is sufficiently Hyped so that I can strive to provide maximum Hype throughout the video of the launch.

Edited by cubinator

I'm sorry, but there is simply not enough of Earth-shattering awesomeness of three Falcons letting rip at the same time. The only music i heard in my life that is sufficiently epic is Also sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss. Your theme needs more 'OOMPH'! This is FORCE! This is POWER! This is 5 million pounds of thrust punching the gravity in the face.

2 hours ago, Scotius said:

I'm sorry, but there is simply not enough of Earth-shattering awesomeness of three Falcons letting rip at the same time. The only music i heard in my life that is sufficiently epic is Also sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss. Your theme needs more 'OOMPH'! This is FORCE! This is POWER! This is 5 million pounds of thrust punching the gravity in the face.

So you want me to go all Hans Zimmer on ignition?

This is just the buildup, of course. It stops at exactly T-0. I wouldn't want to spoil the whole thing, now!

But your point has been noted and I will consider it when writing the launch sequence and revising the prelaunch.

Perhaps the Finale to Shostakovich's 5th Symphony starting at 38:11, with T-0 at 40:21?

Spoiler

Or the Adagio from Bruckner's 7th Symphony, starting at 16:15 with T-0 at 18:16?

Spoiler

Or the Finale from Mahler's 1st Symphony, with T-0 at 2:10?

Spoiler

There's just too much epic music to pick from! :confused:

21 minutes ago, Silavite said:

There's just too much epic music to pick from! :confused:

This is an original piece being written specifically for the Falcon Heavy launch. Whatever comes out as the end product will all be written by myself. A NEW epic piece of music, suitable for a hype rocket!

Edited by cubinator

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

This is an original piece being written specifically for the Falcon Heavy launch. Whatever comes out as the end product will all be written by myself. A NEW epic piece of music, suitable for a hype rocket!

Ah, I got a bit overexcited.

The original tone that hits on beat 1 of every measure fits well for the first 30 seconds in the piece in the exposition and first melody. Once you hit 0:32, I feel like it should start moving in some way as a counter melody or more active harmony. Otherwise, it sounds great. (I would request MOAR CHORDS but that's a personal preference thing.)

Edited by Silavite

24 minutes ago, Silavite said:

The original tone that hits on beat 1 of every measure fits well for the first 30 seconds in the piece in the exposition and first melody. Once you hit 0:32, I feel like it should start moving in some way as a counter melody or more active harmony.

So you're saying the ticking clock should become more active at T-30? I think I'll be adding more countermelodies at that point, but particularly when mission control calls something out, so maybe not until after launch.

24 minutes ago, Silavite said:

Otherwise, it sounds great. (I would request MOAR CHORDS but that's a personal preference thing.)

Chords will increase in level and intensity as the clock counts down. The two measures before launch are the goal, and I still need to build up to that in the last ten seconds.

5 minutes ago, cubinator said:

So you're saying the ticking clock should become more active at T-30? I think I'll be adding more countermelodies at that point, but particularly when mission control calls something out, so maybe not until after launch.

The ticking clock, yes. Now that I realize what that sound is supposed to symbolize, it makes a lot more sense.

5 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Chords will increase in level and intensity as the clock counts down. The two measures before launch are the goal, and I still need to build up to that in the last ten seconds.

Sounds good!

18 hours ago, Silavite said:

The ticking clock, yes. Now that I realize what that sound is supposed to symbolize, it makes a lot more sense.

Sounds good!

15 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Dare I ask for a few seconds after T-0? It's hard to say whether the build is worth it when it's cut off right at the (presumed) drop.

Here is a revised version, with just a few seconds of the post-launch melody:

I presume the Hype Rating is higher, question is is it high enough?

5 hours ago, cubinator said:

Here is a revised version, with just a few seconds of the post-launch melody - I presume the Hype Rating is higher, question is is it high enough?

Seems quite similar but I like the build up more. I can't really get a sense of T-0 in the sequence. Its a bit muddled. There is some grainy/discordant melody/track which I think is supposed to be the launch, but it meshes with the final chords too much. It might be better if it completely cuts to silence for like half a second before the launch sound and then second melody.

I've now created a total of 48 seconds of post-launch music, separated into several themes which will be extended when the time comes.

I think at this point I need to stop and wait for the thing to actually fly before writing the rest of the song, otherwise it could turn into a jumbled mess.

Edited by cubinator

• 1 month later...

I have about 2:30 left to write, and then revisions to do on a few parts. I took care of most of the coast phase pretty quickly, as expected.

Still kind of undecided on what to do about fairing separation...

4 hours ago, cubinator said:

So what's the best way to combine the audio with the video when it's finished?

Editing software? Like premiere or vegas?

In all my years I have seen many game studios push a game till it becomes dead, KSP needs to take a step back and look at overall content and function.  Just saying this from experience in game's from 1996.

Edited by Wrench Head

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.